Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest F**ked In Argentina: Photos Of The Con

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 18, 2015.

1. indyjps

indyjps

I haven't read the story, but even if the guy went down there, bought the car in person, didn't get robbed at the sale, there's no guarantee he'd get it out of the country. Nothing against Argentina either.
    If anyone is considering a "global" car purchase, you better plan on going there, have an inpartial interpreter, learn all the export laws, and watch the currency fluctuations.
    I've spent considerable time in South America and Asia for work. The authorities could care less, and the attitude towards Americans varies widely in different countries.

2. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Great photos. I haven't seen the RJ#3 yet, but I'd still like to chime in here.

For me personally, unless the car is very affordable, I'm not sending any money until I've laid my hands on the car itself. A while back I wanted a particular car. My Grandmother told me to buy a plane ticket to TX to see the car if I was really that interested in it. I thought I could trust the guy since he painted a picture of himself as an upstanding veteran who needed money so he could start a new chapter in his life. What showed up after the deal was barely even the same car. Moral of the story; my Grandmother was right. If you're okay with getting taken advantage of, send your money and pray. If you're not okay with it, go the distance to actually see the car. As someone said above, scammers usually get very flaky when you actually want to do something that may expose their rouse. Exercise caution in any of your dealings and make sure you have a good exit strategy.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. I've been fortunate, and I've been a fool, having been on the receiving end of both scales, however, whilst one needs to be calculated and prepared, at some point you need to be prepared to jump with both feet, as the safe option isn't always there, especially if you dream big.
    As time moves forward, and social media worms it way in, I find the world to be growing smaller, which can be both good and bad depending upon perspective. I trust that at some point, justice will be served, but also, the dreamer doesn't lose the willingness to dream big, just smarter.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

4. bathcollector

bathcollector

Bill had a trailer load of motorcycles at a swapmeet here years ago. His reputation was shit back then too. Haven't heard his name come up again til I read TJJ #3

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I read the story..Last line should be taken how?

6. I have learned through my own trauma (twice, even) ... that if it can't be seen by me, pulled into their local oil change, or visited by the local Braille club hot rodders representative ... it ain't getting purchased by this guy. Intoxicating pictures are sometimes always an achilles heel.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We had him in our sites...

8. whewww....body parts for sale.....Bill's?

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The very reason if I can't look at a car myself in person, and load it up as soon as I pay for it, I'm not biting, no matter how good the pics look. Too many crooks in the world anymore who will take advantage of you in a heartbeat. Hard enough to find honest people in the same state that you live in, much less trying to buy out of country without even going there.

10. This story really makes me angry. Obviously trust and honesty have become old fashioned. A man’s word apparently is no longer a man’s word.

But what’s the key learning? Can we only do business with our lawyers sitting next to us? I hope not.

In this particular case we could all donate a few bucks (instead of a beer) to help this harmed guy. Would be a nice gesture from Hot Rod friends.

If he likes to stay anonymous we could donate through Ryan’s PayPal account if he agrees.

Ralf

11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I mean those prices for those cars didn't seem too out of line of what crazy people pay here in the US either, a 32 Coupe sold about 30 miles form me a few years back for over $30,000.00 and it was a 4 cyl car and is worse shape than most of those and they are roadsters.

12. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

A friend of mine is Argentinian and brings dozens of early Fords like those pictured to Germany every year. Finds like that are still common in Argentina. However getting them exported is practically impossible unless you know how.

13. Sounds like a real zoo out there....I will stay with what I can drive and see in person before I buy anything. Or fly and see in person before any payment. I always thought it was a very small pay out to look before shelling out big bucks for a car.

14. There sure are a lot of overseas buyers for American cars from American soil. Seems there's always some tin leaving and money coming in. Seems to work well more often than not or it would stop. These guys can't all be buying hands on either.

15. Hey guys!! I did not knew about those cars in Argentina and have not any knowledges about shipments...
    I have a friend in my city who makes model A speedsters and exported the cars to europe...
    If you needed any information, please contact me...
    Thinking a bit and looking at the photos to see if he recognized something connected between these cars and my country, I remembered and I think if I heard about these cars and I'm just investigating with a friend, who was the one who told me the story .. .
    Patents cars belong to cities in Argentina , B Buenos Aires , Rosario another province ...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  16. No doubt!! these cars are or were in Argentina ... According to my friend tells one day near the city of Rosario , visiting a friend had the chance to meet the son of a Mr. it was he that had collected all these cars in his life. Deceased father and son being ... decides to sell the cars ...

17. Beginning this story seemed to me a lie, but the cars really were there , as I said my friend, I would not lie , after a time the boys went about visiting his son and had already sold all Cars ... No It is whether all cars sold together or it was selling one at a time

18. shit, I just got screwed by a hamber in the classifieds for $120. and feel pretty pissed, I dont know how I would act if I lost a considerable sum like this guy did. sucks indeed!

19. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

20. I hope someone hurts this guy so bad that his ancestors scream for mercy. What an absolute piece of shit.

21. adam401

adam401

I can't wait to read this story so no big spoilers from those that have read it please!
    I can totally see getting mixed up in the romance of buying the right car from an exotic location especially if the credentials seem to check out. Passion makes you do stuff.
    Ever got mixed up with the wrong hot woman before? Just sayin...

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. After you report ( if you haven't) the screwing you got from a hamber to the H.A.M.B. guardians, we all can think back to incidents and know a guy doesn't have to buy outside the U.S.A. to get a hosing !

23. truth. but we have the boss Ryan to kick the offenders ass, Alliance membership helps pay for the real sharp toed boots he needs to accomplish this.

24. pumpman

pumpman

I read the story when I first got the journal, Boss you did a great job on it, had to go back and re-read it. As I read the story I thought to myself damn this is really spooky. Hope someone nails that dip stick.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Wrong woman/women??? Only a few times, but there was a lot of women.
    Unbelievable how some of these car stories went around the same buyers 2 or 3 times!
    Women mistakes are...well, um, 'necessary' at the time. (never the same mistake twice with one of them, just wait 'til the next!)
    But bogus deals in car buying should leave someone forewarned. Once burned, twice shy...

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This story has "continued..." so to speak... But I can't say much yet.

JOYFLEA, Blue One and falcongeorge like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here's to hoping that some form of "justice" can be reported.