Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ex-Don Kendall's '28 Roadster going in for gloss black paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, May 4, 2014.

1. Oh man...I didn't hear back from them all day when I expected a call around noon,finally I texted my friend around 4pm and asked if there was a problem,he called me back and said while they were switching the miss-matched screws on the drivers door,"somehow" they scratched it necessitating a total re-spray on that door...all this because the tech that put it all back together didn't notice that the screws were miss-matched from side-to-side.They had to go buy matching screws leading me to think "what happened to the original screws" and were they used someone else...?

I'm sure it'll be better than new but stuff like this just chaps my hides...total laziness is all I can say.
    Just like not even eyeballing the headlights to make sure they were close enough to tighten the bolts and call it done...I'm sorry but that's just not how I operate...but when you're talking about hired help,this is what you can expect nowadays.

I'll just have a glass of red wine and sleep on it but you can bet I'll be going over the car tomorrow with an eagle eye...and I will let my feelings known...this shouldn't have happen but I guess in the big picture if it all comes out as I expect...this is just a small bump in the road.

Stay tuned...

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I know these guys are your neighbors and they know what you expect. That's a great thing, but why is it, that shops, businesses, whatever, can't seem to understand what the hell a phone is for? I'm not harping on your friends and sure don't want to side track this thread, but damn it, shop owners/operators, all you have to do is CALL.

The work looks great and can't wait to see the finished results.

3. Yeah, I hear what you're saying...I'm trying to remain calm but the total lack of caring to do your job correctly...no matter how small of a task that might be...is what turns a straightforward job into a nightmare.

I will make my feelings well known tomorrow...

4. Looking forward to seeing it rolled out into the light...,today?

5. Yes...today...although I know I've said that before,lol.

I stopped in this morning to look at it,some of it was their fault and some was just stuff happening so as it was explained to me and I understood,I can see how it happened.

Anyway's, door was painted late last night so this morning it'll get buffed and re-hung and then cleaned all up and hopefully I'll get the call in a few hours...hang tight guys for further developments.

6. Well finally the car is back in my hands guys and I must say I am quite pleased so far with the way it turned out. I have some small details to address but overall,I am very happy with the quality paint job I received and while I haven't paid the bill yet,the final total came in at the absolute bottom of the estimate...a full thousand dollars less than I expected...so I am a happy camper tonight!

These pictures were taken straight from the body shop to my house and the car is really dusty but luckily the camera isn't picking that up...at least I don't think,lol.

My camera has never been fully able to shed enough light in my pictures so while these aren't the best,do trust me when I say the car looks stunning and better than these pictures can capture...so without further ado,I present the "Kendall Roadster" in her full black tuxedo...and Don,I do hope you're happy and proud of what we've done to your little roadster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the passenger side mirror that was added,Don had it in the trunk:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any imperfections you see here around the rear tire are just reflections from the building...trust me when I say it's laser-straight and a mile deep:
    [​IMG]
    Here's what I'm talking about...!
    [​IMG]
    These guys really went above and beyond for me and I totally appreciate it, I'll be tipping the painter/next door neighbor a few bills tomorrow when I pay and lunch for their crew is on me Friday,same as I did when they painted my wife's Lexus earlier this year...gotta take care of those who take care of you!

7. Bump in case you missed it...

8. Beautiful!! Do no more. It's needs nothing.

9. Thanks...I think you're right!

10. 117harv

117harv

Outstanding, can't go wrong with gloss black.

11. loudbang

loudbang

Man oh man that is awesome. Just beautiful.

12. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

That car is killer, perfect stance and now with the perfect finish. Congrats.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. swifty

swifty

Well I guess you can toss out any mirrors in your place cos when you want one just go out in the garage as use the A. It turned out fantastic. I'm sure Don would be thrilled at the end result. You were talking about flames but they would spoil it and turn it into just another street rod. It currently has a very simple and subtle feel.
    What's the story on the car? I gather that Don had it finished but not painted as someone said they had done a feature on it many years ago.

14. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

That paint looks awesome

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow!! That turned out very very nice - I bet Don would be proud. I hope you enjoy the car!

16. Alchemy,
    Damned good advice.

I don't know if the roadster ever had good paint before (other then henry's) but they car deserves good paint. that is one nice old roadster. its gonna be a show stopper. ;)

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That turned out absolutely beautiful.
    I'd agree 100% at the extreme it only needs some very simple follow the lines of the body pin stripes that you can't see if you are out past the 20/30 ft mark from the car. Anything else would detract from the beauty of the car it's self. I'd also agree that with flames it would be just another black streetrod with flames in a long row of black streetrods with flames.

18. It was in Hop Up magazine a few years back when Don just finished putting it together,the entire car is finished underneath except for the black sealer Don put on the body,in talking to his friends I believe it was his wish to finish it at some point but then he ran out of funds and was actively trying to sell it before he suddenly passed...in fact he had a buyer here who wanted the car but wanted it in paint and with the top done so he was in the process of finishing the top,I have the frame almost completed and the leather that matches the seats,not sure if I'll finish it and put it on though...maybe one day.

I totally agree with the "less is more" crowd here,car will remain as it sits for quite a while until I decide if a simple pin stripe will suit the car,I've decided that flames are out.

Thanks guys for all the kind words...I do love this little hot rod and am so happy that it literally fell in my lap...I will try and be the best caretaker I can and keep Don's memory alive through this car.

19. Thank you so much Malcolm...coming from you that means a lot!

20. swifty

swifty

I'll have to check out my Hop Up mags and read the article.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great job, but what really does it for me, is the side louvers being at the same angle as the windshield posts. I don't know whether he planned that or not, but that line is something a lot of others don't get, when they use that style windshield. The angle of that style windshield looks out of place, when it's not tied into something on the body. '32 roadster guys, take note. VERY well done.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Black is a pain in the ass...I love black...I hate black

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. The Roadster looks great. Larry I agree with Black, it's love hate. I had a black 32 pickup, black 39 deluxe, and a black 47 convert....had enough of that.

24. Fred I did notice that early on and Don must have too...he had a real keen eye for blending and detail,he knew what went with what. This car is simplistic and bare bones but it drips that basic Hot Rod style.

Larry,you're right there...I absolutely hate Black and said never again after I owned a Black car in '89 but I was literally painted into a corner on this one...no pun intended...I really had no other choice since the frame is exposed and was painted gloss Black.

I would have had to blow the car completely apart if I decided to change colors...

25. Turned out great John! Absolutely beautiful!!

26. Thanks Laine-O...too bad it wasn't ready for a run when you were here but that only gives you an excuse to re-visit...that and the wings 'n beer!

27. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

28. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

WOW!!. Amazing craftsmanship.

29. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Don's car was in Hop Up Special #3, page 32-33.

30. -all that work and you just couldnt take the body off the chassis??
    Looks good either way i guess.