Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ex-Don Kendall's '28 Roadster going in for gloss black paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, May 4, 2014.

1. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

What a fabulous looking car. Great job. Can't wait to see it finished.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. You and me both...!
    I will have it in my hands tomorrow, then the cleaning process begins...will post pictures up tomorrow!

3. K, I need to make another trip out West!:cool:

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

5. Yes you do...so sorry it wasn't completed when you were here...but hey...it gives you an excuse to re-visit...that and the fabulous wings!

6. Bump...tonight is like Christmas Eve for me guys...will be hard to sleep tonight knowing I'm driving that sweet little gloss black roadster home tomorrow...woo hoo!
    Don Kendall...I hope you're as anxious as I am...and I hope you're proud.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Drag out all of the superlatives about well done black...............they all apply here.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Bump...completed pictures later today guys.

9. Well I didn't get to pick the car up earlier today as I had hoped,they are still putting it back together and there's no use rushing anyone at this point.
    There were a few small minor things I didn't like on the car...like when they reattached the door trim,the tech miss-matched the screws from one door to the other...something that would drive me up a wall if I had to look at it everyday. Plus,they put two chips in the paint near the edge of the trunk I would presume when they attached the decklid so that will be addressed today and I'll probably see the car tomorrow...my first chips and I haven't even taken possession of it yet,lol!

Here's some pictures of the tinted windows installed,looks as good as I thought it would.It is fairly dark in their shop so good pictures of the car will have to wait until I have her outside in the sun:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see from this picture,I had them drill the door for the passenger side mirror that Don had in the trunk..and the headlights need to be aligned:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

11. Thank you...me thinks so too!
    Better pictures tomorrow guys...

12. loudbang

loudbang

Going to need sunglasses to look at it when you get it outside. :)

13. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

This car is SICK, WOW, great work!

14. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Perfect proportions!

15. I think you're right,lol...I love how the windshield glass turned out.
    Thanks guys for the comments,more "outside" pics hopefully later today.

16. Well no car today...but Rome wasn't built in a day I guess.

They can't seem to get the tail lights to work,probably a ground issue so he's got an electronic expert friend of his coming in today to troubleshoot. Also,they are going to have to spot the chips because although they are right on the edge,they can't just be touched up so that's getting done today as well.

Lastly,the rear tail light panel had some peel on it that was unacceptable to me so that will also get addressed. Tomorrow,they will call me in after the car is detailed so I can inspect it and see anything I don't like...that's the beauty of the owner being my next-door neighbor,he knows how I am and how he'd never hear the end of it if I wasn't totally happy.
    While they are a production Lexus/BMW/Mercedes repair shop,they can really turn out show car work as well...so although I don't know what my final bill will be, I know it will be money well spent.

Just a few minor details that need to be sorted out and then I'll bring her home...where I can really inspect it top to bottom...stay tuned for further details...and pictures!

17. Bump...should hopefully have the car in my hands today.

18. swifty

swifty

Waiting on pics of it out in the open.

19. Well they re-shot the rear tail panel because when they went to buff it out,they burned through it so that was done as well as repaired the two chips so tomorrow,they cut & buff that and we should be good.
    I wasn't happy with the way that panel looked compared to the rest of the car so better it was taken care of now...they really want me to be happy with it and it shows in their attention to detail.

They got the tail lights working and re-aligned the headlights so I should have the car sometime tomorrow afternoon...stay tuned guys!

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

We be waitin'!!

21. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Can't wait to see it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. the gloss black looks stunning, great car.
    Just out of curiosity, what brand & size are those tyres, especially the rears?

23. swifty

swifty

Andrew the answer is in post #67

24. cool, thanks, apologies' for my 'boy look' ;-)

Again, car looks awesome, and appreciate the effort to take it to that next level.

Cheers,

Drewfus

25. Yeah it's a good thing you know the guy.....just saying. Did you get a estimate up front? Is he charging you for having others come in to fix things like a bad ground? Glad your digging it, looks great, just hope you don't need resuscitation when they hand you the bill. You are either really brave or have deep pockets.

26. No, bill shouldn't change and actually I don't have a firm price yet,I know what it will be at the max and they were telling me that was a worst case scenario so I do expect it to be less then that.

The lights worked when the car rolled in so I fully expect everything to function as it did and I have no reason to think otherwise.Both of these guys are my next door neighbors so they know it has to be 100% right out of the box because once I take it home and start cleaning/polishing,I'm sure I'll see some stuff I don't like and it'll have to go back...they're expecting that because they know how anal I am with all my other cars...so we're on the same page there.

I stopped in this morning,rear panel was re-done and the two chips were spotted in,this morning those areas will be buffed and then re-assembled,I will expect the call around noon...pictures to follow guys,thanks for your patience!

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man, that looks so good! --- I'll check back later for more photos.

28. Thanks...I should be getting the call any moment.