Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ex-Don Kendall's '28 Roadster going in for gloss black paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, May 4, 2014.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great that you are finishing the car as he desired. Cool little "A"

2. Thanks guys...I just know this is going to be one sweet little Hot Rod when it's done.

In going through all the notes Don had with this car, I saw a drawing he did with some flames and figured maybe that was his thinking and would try and replicate it...but I'm also leaning towards some simple pinstripes if I do anything to it...but then I also think anything else would take away from the simple, Hot Rod feel.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome...would love to hear them!

3. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

It is what is isn't....The car is so nice and simple, and a lot of times the urge is to add more, but I think I would leave it without flames, and focus on the little details.....

5. This is my thinking as well...it'll look sinister in total black that I'm thinking anything else will take away from that look.

6. Well guys...some progress to report today.
    All the panels are in paint with the exception of the body which they tell me will be gloss black by Wednesday:
    Trunklid:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Close up of the louvers on the side panels...paint laid down very nicely:
    [​IMG]
    Half of the body blocked...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. I looked at the tires today,they are Stahl Sport Radials/Excelsior Radials and the fronts are 5.00 R16 (80H) and the rears are 7.50 R16 (107H)...not sure on the wheels but I will check my records.

Hope that helps you...

8. loudbang

loudbang

Nothing better than nice shiny black paint.

9. Thanks...totally agree...car will be wearing a tuxedo when done,lol!

10. Car is in paint as we speak guys,I snapped these just before they threw me out of the booth,lol...will check back in about 5 today to see the finished product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It'll sit in the booth overnight,tomorrow it cures and then Friday/Saturday they cut & buff it and reassemble and hopefully I'll have it back before the wknd is over...stay tuned!

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice --- everything is looking good!!

12. Looks like you got it slick. HRP

13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

14. Weasel

Weasel

Impatiently awaiting the outcome - this and the Casny '29 are my two favorite roadster builds. Don Kendall was a neat guy and a hardcore hot rodder. I am sure he would be proud of what you have done....

15. Thanks Weasel...without further ado...her she is in her new black tuxedo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So very pleased with how it's all turned out so far...can hardly wait for it to be completed...I truly do think Don would be most pleased and proud!
    [​IMG]
    Product we used:
    [​IMG]

16. walter

walter

WOW!!!!!! GREAT JOB

17. I simply cannot wait to see it cut/buffed and reassembled...!

18. youngsspeed

youngsspeed

great choice, John. thanks for posting the progress we dig seeing that thing getting beautified.

19. Ditto!! It's looking killer John! The whites of your perma grin teeth are really gonna stand out against all that black!

20. swifty

swifty

That looks great straight from the gun.

21. Thanks Laine-O!
    Swifty,the guy shooting it is a real pro,no orange peel or nubs that I can see...should cut & buff beautifully!

22. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

what clear did he use?

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remember R&C when Bud Bryan had 'Willie Black' paint the '29 Hiboy? These 3/4 rear shots looked just like that...(Willie told Bud and Jake "This car should never have been black!")
    But what a jewel it turned into.
    The 'Kendall Roadster' surpasses it. Just takes breath away...Rubbing it out will just be 'petting' it.
    So..."Shut up and rub!" LOL Wish I was there to help, that thing's lovely.

24. Thanks Mike...I appreciate it...I think Don is smiling somewhere.

Paul55, I'm not sure but I will find out,I'm sure it's a PPG product and I was told it's a hard clear, it had 5 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear.

25. Well cut & buff process is in full swing,all day today and all day tomorrow...hopefully I'll have her back in my garage at some point this wknd:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will move to a foam pad soon for the final passes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paul55,here's the clear they use...said to be around forever,this is the latest hard-clear formula:
    [​IMG]

26. Thanks Michael,see you next week for your final super tune on the '69 Z/28 before it goes bye-bye...!

27. Bump...in case you missed it!

28. brady1929

brady1929

29. Darn,,that looks great,I absolutely love black on a roadster! HRP

30. Well they called for me to bring back the parts I had at home I was cleaning/buffing...so I know they're close.
    We re-installed the windshield frame (carefully!) and the final stages of buffing continues,should have the car back either late today or sometime tomorrow...the owner is concerned the longer it sits there,particles in the air will scratch the paint...so I guess he knows how I'll feel,lol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This picture really does the car no justice...the paint looks like you could actually dive in...it's that deep!
    [​IMG]