Register now to get rid of these ads!

ever have a hood fly open on ya?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Jul 27, 2008.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those little 70's datsun trucks were tough. had a 73 with a 1979 2.0 with a 5 speed and a weber carb. got 26 mpg consistantly. hauled all sorts of junk all over the place, flat towed more cars around than I care to admit. I'd like to get another one.

sucky thing about that hood was I had it punched full of louvers. hood was junk but I still have the louvers out of it and put a few in the dash of my 49 chevy coupe.

2. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Ype. Driving my friends 49 Ford. -gulp- Amazingly- it flew up, bent back and didnt hit the windshield or the roof!!!!!! didnt even bend the hinges. going about 50 on a street. whew. exciting.

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Had it happen twice, once in my 39 Ford, and another time in a GMC van. With the van we were on an interstate going 75 at 2:00AM when we were suddenly blinded, got to the side of the road with no shoulder and took the hood off with semi's passing inch's away .

4. yep spent all day recomisioning a volvo 240 for a customer test drive and bang hood corners bent wings damaged roof dented

and another time me and a friend racing along a side street him in a mini me in a panel vanbehind about sixty all of a sudden theres sparks flying everywhere and the mini is stopping real quick so i stand on the brake with both feet and just manage to stop . i get out of the van and walk to his drivers window what the fuck was that about is say he says wheres the bonnet i say what fuckin bonnet(im seriously pissed at this point) he says the bonnet off my car is gone i say did someone steal it he says no it was there when we started off now im thinkin what is he talkin about and look at the car and no bonnet i think sparks hmmmm look under the car there it is firmly weged under the subframe he says it started to lift at speed so he jabbed the brake and the thing slid off the front of the car and he runs it over then we both lofao

5. I had a 56 ford htp with a 390 4 speed blew two completly off ripped the hood from the rear sheet metal that the hinges bolt too. I put hood pins on the third one. That car was the one that made me prefer a post to a hardtop too darn much wind noise at over 100 MPH:eek: OldWolf

6. Gabby

Gabby

My uncle had placed the hood back on his 49 ford without bolting the rear hinges. Only thing holding hood was the front latch. When the wind got under the hood it ends up in the overhead power lines.

7. Sounds like datsuns and shoeboxes are cronic hood floppers

It happened to me in a '56 Chev...

8. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I had my trunk break loose and smash my windshield in.

It was a beetle, true story.

9. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

A volkaswagon rabbit I had scared me one night. I left the bungy cord we fixed it with on there and it gave the sensation of doing a wheely when you got up to speed. Changed the windshield, but never did fix the hood. When I sold the car I gave the guy a fresh bungy cord.

10. prl98

prl98

One time. customers bmw. I had to remove the secodnary catch to remove the grill in order to fix where it was damaged(hood). lowered the hood,but not all the way, and went to the paint store. Hood flys up a half a block from shop smashes windshield and bends the hood corners at a 90 degree angle saved the hood owner was cool about the windshield, he turned it into his insurance and I paid the deductable.

11. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I just hit the MPH lights when hood on my 63 laid back. The track lights stopped right at the ET lights too. It was at night, and I was running a slower car too. Guy said he seen a spark come off the ground. The security guard brought me my spring later that night. I had an oil pressure gauge on the cowl, and it ended up ripping the hood off the hinge on my side, and I had a small sliver to see out of. I was only going about 120 when it happened. Scary shit.

12. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Oh, yeah... On one of my stupid tricks to pull, I was driving my 1958 Chevy Yeoman wagon (yes a 2 door wagon) after replacing my umpteenth hanger bearing.

Driving around with the frt bumper and grille out of it, didnt have a real good hood latch either... Was running it through the quarter mile north of town, on borrowed slicks and open headers, cuz i could...

decided to leg it out to town after the 1/4 mile was done, only had another mile to go, and the hood flew up, broke the windshield, smashed in the roof, and disappeared... i was going about 110 at the time, by the time i got the manual drum brake 2 ton bessie stopped and turned around, i had lost where it flew off.

it was early august, and the corn and bean fields were up pretty high at the time,
    never did find the hood.

someone probably got an unpleasant surprise in his combine at harvest..,
    a couple months later...

13. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

Had the front hood (trunk lid) on my 56 bug fly open, smashed the windshield ,dented the roof, and the left side where the hood prop was attached to the hood and the body the hood tore apart, bent the crap outta the hinges and all the junk i had in the trunk ;clothes, papers, and misc. flew all over the highway instantly.... slowed down real quick pulled off the road, bent the hood back, pushed the shattered windshield out tied the handle to the bumper and drove it home.

14. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Well only one hood blow off here... I had my '57 F750 Big Job out on a test drive....I was cruisin' along at 60mph hood flew open smashed the windshield in, put a dent in the roof while it was at too. Where the hood latch mounted was all rusted out...didn't think nothin' of it at the moment.... The next two made me laugh....

My uncle had just finished his '56 F100, it had a tilt front end...the works...He was pulling out of the shop and didn't see grandpa coming from the side on my dads 2010 John Deere Crawler...He also forgot to hook up his hood latches...the hood flips open smashes on the ground...And get ran over by an extremely heavy crawler tractor and smashed back into a piece of flat sheet....

The next one was on my lawnmower on saturday...I filled the tank up and went back to mowing...I was going down a bank a little to fast and tapped the brake...The unlatched 'glass hood comes off and goes rolling down the hill, hits a tree and almost splits in half. But now the mower gets alot more air into the engine....

15. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

I drive truck, I was pulling up to the tollgate on the PA pike hit the brake and the tilted forward. Volvo inside hood latch with no safety latch. How that passes safety standards on a new truck is beyond me.

16. I was 15 at the time, I had just put my punched out 283 (301) SBC in my 55 and I was doing hole shots up my parents driveway. On about the third one, my front tires rolled ever so gently over the sidewalk and onto the street....... it was the first time me and my OL 55 had actually been on the street !! Well I thought "what harm could it do to take a little ride"? Never mind the fact that neither myself or the 55 was licensed! I looked one way and then the other. No one in sight, so I eased her out on the road. That's when it happened, something came over me and I punched it! Ran it up to about 5 grand and shifted hard. That's when I noticed the hood jump up and at that exact moment I remembered that I didn't have the grill back in the car yet (no grill, nothing for the hood to latch onto) so I hit the brakes hard......but it was too late. The hood came up and landed on the windshield. Luckily I was close to home and other than pulling the anchors out of the hood and bruising my ego, there was no real damage.:(:)

17. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Had a Mark VIII a couple of years ago, and not long after I bought I thought I would get on it, and see what it would do about 11 o'clock one night.

Going about 60 I punched it (thoses damn cars are fast) in no time I was at about 110, and suddenly something went over the windshield and scared the crap out of me. I eased up in the seat to look at the hood cause you cant see the front end of those cars when driving, and the hood appeared to still be there, but I pulled over and got out to look at the front of the car, and thats when I noticed that the hood had separated (factory fiberglass hoods) and just the top part came off while the bottom was still shut and latched.

18. jdhlurch

jdhlurch

yup, after a long day and most of the evening at work I was driving with one eye open trying to make it home and the hood on my Dakota flipped up and folded around the cab of the truck. Not going fast enough to rip it off but fast enough to smash the windshield.
    Pulled over, removed hood, both eyes wide open the rest of the way home:eek:!!!

19. chopt49

chopt49

The reason my '49 is chopped.... hood flew open... smashed windshield, had to chop it.

True story.

20. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Had that happen on a 68 mustang at the track. It happen at half track. The hood came up all I seen was blue then a second later I could see the track again. The hood left the car. Forgot to put the hood pins in. Talk about a pucker factor.

The hood was junk.

21. Movinman

Movinman

Twice. Once in my buddies 69 442, and another time in my 68 Roadrunner. The hood on the Roadrunner bent at the corners because I wasn't going that fast. The 442 though, that was a bad deal. We had just finished putting a new motor into his car, and he wanted to test drive it. We placed the hood on the car without the hinges, and locked it down. The car ran great, so we took it out onto the highway. We were scooting along at a nice pace, when the hood just took off on us. That sucker had to have sailed 30 feet into the air before landing on the interstate. Fortunately, it was 1am, and highway travel was light. We pulled to the shoulder and ran back to the hood, only to find it damaged beyond repair. This happened about 24 years ago, and it was a lesson I will never forget. Before any car leaves the garage, the hood is securely fastened to the hinges!

22. gold5000000

gold5000000

nothing like going blind at 60 mph

23. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Only once, when some idiot forgot to replace the hood pins after checking the oil on my Triumph TR3B Roadster. The idiot was chewed out about it, and I never did it again. :(

24. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

1950 chrysler windsor no hood hinges heavy hood wont fly off ?
    drove it like that for a year than it lifted in the rear
    and somehow ended up under the front tire
    ww tires about 25 years ago

Paul Jug

25. prime mover

prime mover

Had the hood fly open in my 59 a few times, good thing it opens backwards!

26. kenseth17

kenseth17

yes, on my 89 ford truck about 5 or 6 years ago. Was heading home on the highway probably doing 70, after a night of drinking. Scared the sheet out of you when you are going highway speed and then all you see is hood, but managed to pull over to the shoulder. Latch must have been worn out. Thankfully the highway was pretty deserted. The visor stopped it from hitting the windshield.
    Didn't want to stick around too long on the side of the road that time of night after drinking (that was back when I was still stupid and doing the drinking and driving thing, and I already had 2 owi's). Somehow I force it down with bent hinges and it hitting the cowl and tie it down and get home. Ran around with it tied down with a piece of wire till I parked it.
    Now am starting to work on trying to get the truck going again thats been sitting broke down for years, and if I ever get that far I will have to replace the latch and have hood alignment and some bodywork to do.

27. Once while out fishing with my bro-in law, the weather changed for the worse, and we hightailed it back to my 81 cutlass, threw the t-tops on and hit the highway. I had forgot to lock em and about a mile down the road doing 80mph or so the passenger side ripped off, high speed with a huge vacume woosh!!! My bro-in law thought he was gonna be sucked outta the car with it! I looked back to see it flipping through the sky like a playing card about a hundred feet in the air till it came down and shattered. Needless to say I drove the cutlass through the winter for the next 6 months 1/2 topless!!! The car had good heat....

28. THE ONE

THE ONE
    from PHOENIX AZ

I had it happen a couple months ago on my 68 chevelle. I was taking it around the block and with all the excitment of getting the new motor running I forgot the hood pins. Coming up my block I got on it and the hood blew off and up about 20 feet in the air. As I looked in my mirror I saw the hood float down like a peice of paper in the wind and land flat right side up without a scratch. This was a very good thing because the hood was a new $450 fiberglass harwood cowl induction hood. I will never make that mistake again.

29. 31whitey

31whitey

I got locked out of my truck last summer, while I was loading up....dogs were already inside.
    Its was hot as hell that day so I freeked...
    Sun roof was already broke and stuck in the up(vent)position....so it got ripped off.
    A little black duct tape and well good to go...Till......
    I got locked out again...pulled the duct tape and climbed in.
    Forgot the duct tape and got rolling.....wooosh....
    Just got it back yesterday...Chrysler paid the bill....must have had some recall or something.

30. 61TBird

61TBird

I had the stock hood of my '68 Malibu pop open on me!
    I was leaving a gas station and didn't close it all the way,get about a block away at about 30 mph WHAM up it goes.
    I did the old look below the hood trick and pull over.
    It's definitely one thing you want to happen ONLY once!