Register now to get rid of these ads!

Epoxy Primers/Sealers and Single stage Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Oct 22, 2009.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Pimpin already explained why they rock, I'll add a bit.

As you know I use PPG Concept SS. Global is way nicer but its super pricey. I usually spray 2 coats of straight SS then the SS mixed 50/50 with DCU2021 clear. 2 coats of that. As Mark said, it makes the color coats more transparent and deep but still retains the non-clear coat look. NOTE: Both the clear and SS need to use the same hardeners. The are mixed 50/50 RTS. (Ready to Spray) Meaning mix up a cup of the SS like you normally would with the reducer and hardener. Then mix a cup of clear the same. The mix those 2 50/50.

Tindall's frame did not have mixed clear in it, because, well, its a frame. His body however will.

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Haha, you need to change the title of this thread! :D

3. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Great thread Scott, I love when Pimpin (Hi Rex) start's talking about paint !! Lot's to learn brother !!
    Rob

4. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

There's a T-Shirt waiting to get printed with this gem!!!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Thanks for the tip of the fedora guys, but jus' about everything I ever learned about paint was learned by accident! I don't think I ever read a tech sheet prior to 1985!

The addition of clear into the last 1-2 coats of a paint job was pretty much a standard back when acrylic enamel had its' day in the sun. If you jus' shot a fat coat of clear or two over the last of the colour coats, as the manfacturer stated, you had a great gloss, but not a very long lived paint job! The sun just ate the clear up, and most guys would get cute and over reduce the last couple coats to get great flow, which was the kiss of death to an enamel job. Too, they'd coloursand the job , jus' like guys do with urethane today, and open up the already marginal acrylic resins in the colour and clear coats to attack by oxygen! As a result, if you had an acrylic enamel job that lasted longer than 5 years (light & medium based finishes) you'd cheated the hangman!

Today's single stage urethanes offer great performance and bang for the buck, and don't require a lot of skill to shoot. The addition of a heavy clear coat on most jobs jus' looks like a homely woman with too much make up on to me!

I can't tell ya anything 'bout "Tree-Hugger Kool-Aid'' (waterborn) paint products for use on your project, as when this shit pushes all the other paint finishes off the stage, at gun point, I'll be hangin' out in front of the mission with all the other ''retired" painters.

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt ''

6. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

I just order some epoxy primer from SPI and they are shipping it FREE.
    The owner of the Co. is a great down to earth guy and will answer any kind of paint question you have even if its not his product. How often would you find that? I sat in a seminar that he put on and he is quite the chemist.
    7-day tech support 404 307 9740
    Corp headquarters 706 781 2220

When was the last time you could call a large Co. on Sunday

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA!! DONE!! You are right!!

Awesome!!!!! This is great stuff!

WOW! That is seriously INCREDIBLE!! Wow!! Going to be taking a close look at them for those reasons ALONE!!

Seriously guys! This is awesome information!! So much to learn and this is a great start!! Fantastic thread! Didn't mean to venture off primers, but I like where this has gone!!

8. For the paint guys would there be a way to replicate the look they did on customs (adding the gold powder to the paint) back in the day with the single stage paint tricks you guys are talking about?

9. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I'll tell you what this sure answered a lot of my primer questions for upcoming projects. Excellent thread!!

Michael

10. I love paint threads. And when I was in a shop the other day buying some single stage Standox, I saw a wall of lacquer and thought "ohhh lacquer, maybe I will use that after all for the sloper, while can still get it?"

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

I'd suggest that you mix your powder with alittle clear and colour just as you would add a pearl to a clear. If you were to jus' shoot the powder over the last colour coat, I'd think it would jus' look like overspray! Go light on the clear, however! Be sure to pick a hardener that will fly with both your base urethane & clear, or this trick won't work!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " If i don't sin ,Jesus will have died for nothing"