Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric fuel pump ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WP38, Mar 29, 2017.

1. WP38

WP38

Is anyone running an external fuel pump with a mechanical fuel pump.
    My gas tank is quite low. the fuel line goes unside the rails that go up over the wheels and back down to fuel pump. I had to lift the back end up and crank over to get fuel to the pump. The engine runs but the fuel filter before the pump has a small volume of fuel in it.
    I beleive this is causing the engine to speed up and slow down like lacking fuel. to keep system primed.
    Any suggestions thanks

henryj1951 likes this.
  2. Get one of those cheap pulse pumps like they sell at O'Reilly. Any race pump will override your mechanical. It is an old hotrod/street racer trick by the way.

1927graham likes this.
  3. WP38

WP38

Thanks never heard of a paulse pump. Had to google it. I have a low volume 6 psi pump I was hoping to use.

4. i would think a good mechanical fuel pump could suck the fuel from the tank in back all the way up to the motor. the one on the 283 in my `36 ford does fine. i have a Carter 4070 back by the tank on a switch just for starting

fyi, those cheap Mr gasket pumps are junk

henryj1951 likes this.

5. LOLI have an old Aerotec ( you got to be old to know what that is)that I keep for an emergency pump. its actually in a '49 Chebby now that the pump took a dump, but it will come back to me it has since the late '60s when I bought it used.

I carried a used Lucas pump when I was traveling around on my bike, it worked great for syphoning if I ran out of gas the other side of Pig Snarf. I gave t it to a farmer once to get his hay truck back to the farm and a year later when I was passing by his way again he flagged me down and gave it back to me. :D

When the pump took a dump on my old galaxie I bought one of these for 20 bucks.
    [​IMG]
    Stuck it on my fender well land ran it for 3 years until a fella from Huston bought the galaxie.

By the way Bosch makes one that looks like this and if excellence is in your vocab they are a little pricey but they are an excellent pump.

henryj1951 likes this.
  6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last summer the PQQR Old Henry got a little vaper/hot, so i routed a 17 dollar 6Volt as an assist down by the tank just in case it acts up again. I only flip it on IF -n- When this rare thing happens again... knock on wood... so far so good.
    It has DUAL fuel lines down there so i only need or can flip it on when needed.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  7. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I agree with the comment about Mr. Gasket pumps are junk. Don't waste your money on one.

8. modeleh

modeleh

9. WP38

WP38

I have a Carter pump.

Works well, I will use the electric pump with a relay to ignition switch / for stable pressure
    My issue is the tank is too low with the fuel line running up hill over the wheel well. Engine starts but I don't have proper fuel supply. I will check the steel line for any kinks,

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. donno

donno

Runnin' Holley Red pumps on 2 different rides, been on there for years. Never a problem.

11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Please have some kind of light or the like so you dont leave it on.We almost had a disaster at the motorama last weekend.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You should test your fuel delivery by disconnecting the fuel line at the carburetor and directing it into a bottle. When the engine is started, there should be a solid heavy stream of fuel flowing. The engine will run for some time on the fuel in the carburetor float bowl.

Mechanical fuel pumps are very good things, and should have no trouble sucking from a low position, unlike electric pumps.

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I run the Holley Mighty Mite. Mfg says it can dry lift up to 12" and good for 400hp.
    I realize the delivery falls off with having to lift the fuel, I have never checked my PSI at the carb but also have never had a problem at full throttle and I'm not racing it either...... so I'm happy.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have the same pump Beaner posted a pic of, never any problems. I've also ran the older Mr Gasket pumps that look like that, never a problem with them,either. I think the one that gives the bad reputation is the newer style black Mr Gasket pumps, they have had issues with bad runs of them. I guess the Chinamen skimped on some of them. I think the Purolator/Facet metal pumps are still USA made, but there probably some China knock offs, too.
    I had a Facet pump on a built 302 Ford I had, it never had a a problem keeping the 600 Holley full even at high RPM.