Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edsel Ford’s Custom 1934 Model 40 Special Speedster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, Aug 20, 2011.

1. THANK YOU for posting some of the resto photos!!!

For whatever reason, I can't view the pics on RM's site on either my work OR home pc, so if y'all feel like posting more, you won't hurt my feelings :)

Edsel's Model 40 speedster is an absolute favorite of mine- and someday, when teachers get paid like pro atheletes (uh,huh), I will build my own replica. The only difference is that it'll use a '35 shell, much like the Miller Ford Indy cars.

[​IMG]

2. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

That car is being restored by Barillaro and he is a HAMB member.You can check his web site barrillarospeed.net Really nice guys and do some beautiful work.Maybe he will chime in.

3. superleggera

superleggera

The car is painted with what is called "Pearl Essence Gunmetal Dark Gray" -- but it appears to have some green hue in the base. Anyone know more and the paint manufacturer? I think this would be a great color for an upcoming project in my shop.

Not many cars I'd want to sit in my personal garage -- but Edsel's Speedster is one without question I'd want in mine.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Agreed, this front end appears better integrated than the current one. I may have read that it had cooling problems which were resolved with the 3-part grille.

I do wish that this version (2-part grille) had slightly larger headlights.

5. roadwarrior32

roadwarrior32

I don't know if this a bit off topic, since this isn't the model 40 speedster this thread is directed at. Edsel designed this model 40/48 two door phaeton in about the same time frame as the other one in this thread. He had the car bodied in England by Jensen, and although it looks like '33-4 roadster doors and cowl that have been cut down, it is actually aluminum construction. I was watching TCM one evening, and this car was in a 1947 movie [only in the bckground], and had a Carson top and some primer spots on it. I wonder where it is today?

Attached Files:

6. Found this on Fordhouse's site- hope it helps:

"Using a period R-M (Rinshed-Mason) color chart, the appropriate shade of Gunmetal Deep 80104 (Gunmetal Deep Ground) was identified and computer-matched for the utmost accuracy."

7. Heo2

Heo2

Well its maby just me but i think that car is
    realy ugly think it looks like it home built in
    russia

8. Well, to each his own.

I'm still unable to view the restoration pics from fordhouse- any chance someone could post them here?

Thanks again, Bill

9. Saw it last weekend.....and Choptops hat in the distance..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Beautiful styling.A fantastic looking ride with total class

11. I was finally able to get on the site and right-clicked like a little fiend :D

When the article in TRJ came out some years ago, one of the things that really struck me was the chassis modification- an extra front crossmember to stretch the wheelbase (while leaving other to keep the engine in the stock position) and flipping the rear half of the frame to make it underslung. I contacted fordhouse to see if they had any pictures of that modification to see how they reinforced the cut (fish plate/etc), but here's a shot of the rear with what amount to safety loops for the rear axle. VERY forward thinking for that time!!!

... and just for giggles, I'll include a pic of the tail without some of the sheetmetal- Edsel and Gregorie built the car at the Tri Motor factory since, "those employees weren't very busy at the time". It's neat to see the aircraft builder's mentality in making a frame to skin.

12. Okay, let's try those pics again...

Attached Files:

• 12b.jpg
      12b.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
    • 13b.jpg
      13b.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
  13. EDSEL'S '34 FORD SPEEDSTER
    Edsel Ford's grand children are in the process of documenting some of the accomplishments of the man who worked in the giant shadow of Henry Ford. Their feeling is that people should know all that he achieved. They have developed the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House in St. Clair Shores, Michigan as a historical epitaph to their grand parents. Just last month they debuted the... restored 1934 Ford Model M Speedster at the Pebble Beach Concours in Pebble Beach, California, America's most revered concours event. Edsel had commissioned the production of this one-off prototype, and kept it at his estate up until his passing. What Edsel Ford liked most about this car was its boattail rear styling. After Edsel's passing, the family lost track of the car for a number of years. It turned up again at a collector car auction. Someone had had it painted red. The Ford family obtained the car and had it restored to its original state. After making the car show circuit this year it will be on display at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House along with much of the history of the Ford legacy. Click here to view an interview about this car with Edsel Ford II (son) and Henry Ford III (grandson). The video was shot recently at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance.
    http://youtu.be/8v9uJ8lm0ms

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's great to see that the car has been restored and restored back to the way it was when Edsel still had it. It is one of the cars that serves as inspiration for my boat tail speedster style roadster build.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The car is on exhibit in the lobby of the Petersen right now. I was amazed at how much better looking it is now -- great, understated grey-green color -- than it was in red at the GNRS a few years ago.

Absolutely worth another look!

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Lynn, did you see it at Pebble Beach, or did you mean you want to see it in person?

17. jipp

jipp

i saw this in a video on jay leno.. was a over cast day i swear this was black. to my surprise it was green in these pictures.. what a damn cool color. its to bad edsel did not get to put this into production.. maybe even more holly grail than the 32's if he did?
    chris.

18. PaulN

PaulN

has ennyone built a replika

19. Shot these today at the North American International Auto Show. If you're going to the Detroit show and would like to see it in person, Edsel's Model 40 is sitting upstairs in the rather elegant Lincoln booth. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally...for something off-topic...this moving sculpture was part of the Lincoln booth at the NAIAS....Kind of trippy !

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=2012NAIASLincolnDisplay.mp4

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  20. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

I just got this photo today from my dad who got it from David Byers. It was taken in April of 57 in Jasper Ga on the corner of Ga. hwy 53 and Main st. Photo was taken by Herman Byers owner of the hot rod is in the back ground. Working on getting more of the story behind it travel thru Georgia

[​IMG]

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That 1957 picture is awesome. Also got to see the car at the Autoshow last week, by far the star of the show.

22. superleggera

superleggera

Cool photo -- any additional photos and history of this car are definitely desired!

23. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Hopefully David might have a few more pix

24. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

That car has a real sanitary look about it. The speedometer is beautiful, same with the bonnet -the angles and scallops seem perfectly balanced. The gentle sweep on the front edge of the front fenders couldn't be better either.

Red is nice but it almost seems to take away from the design.

25. John, thanks for the pic- that's a great shot!