Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods easy off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old sparks, Jan 25, 2015.

1. old sparks

old sparks

I used easy off oven cleaner, then sprayed wd 40 on a set of aluminum wheels. they look like old real mag wheels. did I screw up?

2. Pretty sure that stuff is too harsh

3. Slopok

Slopok

Is that the look you wanted to achieve? Says right on the can do not use on aluminum.

4. It will pit aluminum. HRP

5. Easy Off is excellent for removing lettering, unwanted graphics, and pinstriping you no longer love.

6. Post up some pics.
    Guys go crazy trying to get their aluminum wheels to look like magnesium.

It's says on the can it will fuck up aluminum finish, but if a mag look is what your after this may be one of those experiment mistakes that produce a desirable result but for something far removed from the goal

7. Easy Off is to aluminum, what fat wimmins are to spandex. Some things dont belong touching each other....

8. scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

You've definately stripped any clear coat from the rim, may have etched them pretty hard depending on how long it was on. If you like the look, run them. If not they are etched for powder coat, or start polishing.
    Post up a pic, we can give opinions if the rims need sanded before polishing.

10. Weird A

Weird A

You can try aluminum brightener (acid). Will clean it up but any Polish is gone. Check with local truck wash/wheel polisher. How bad does it look? Pics?

11. I used easy-off oven cleaner to remove the anodized coating from my centerline aluminum wheels. Lots of people have done this. After about 30 minutes, you then hose it off and you are left with a bit of a mess. You must then spend MANY hours with various grits of w/d sandpaper to completely remove the mess and expose the bare aluminum. Follow this with polishing compounds to get the degree of shine you are after. You have just completed the easy part. Now the elbow grease comes in. Good Luck. The results are excellent if you are willing to spend the time and effort.,

12. old sparks

old sparks

Obviously, it etched the wheels and left a dark grey residue after hoseing it off with a pressure washer . I don`t believe I`ve violated the integrity of the wheel. My next move is to scotch pad the wheel and maybe a light clearcoat. Don`t do pictures . The only picture I`ve posted is on the HA/GR site under advice and opinion and I had to get a friend to do it for me. I`m an old man and I`m going to go down fighting. I suggest you folks try this on an old chunk of aluminum