Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early thoughts on the Alliance...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow. Crazy weekend for me. Where to start?

The H.A.M.B. Alliance is the result of a lot of conversations with a lot of Hot Rod publishing legends. I wanted to create a way for vendors to get more actively involved in our community, but I didn't want to sell advertising on the forums. Essentially, I only wanted to talk to vendors that were honestly interested in giving our users something back rather than just throwing an ad at them. Our current roster of vendors is full of companies that have more than their bottom line in mind. I love that.

The best part of all this though is that because of the membership dues, we are able to pass every bit of the discount back to you guys. Becoming an Alliance Vendor costs companies nothing... They just have to promise to treat our members right with discounts and VIP service. I am hand selecting every vendor, so I am confident you will be well served with these folks... Just as an example, look at Coker - you will most likely SAVE money if you join the Alliance before you buy your next set of tires. They are pretty much giving Alliance members wholesale pricing on their products. That's huge.

So what's next? We will be adding more vendors on a weekly basis. Stay tuned for more info... Marcie and I are also working hard to get the Alliance tags out ASAP, but we have a lot of stamping to do! I hope to start getting those out by the end of the week. Finally, current members can expect their discounts to start going live at the vendors as soon as today although some vendors might require a little more time to get setup. We are being very rigorous in making sure folks that ask for the discount are in the Alliance.

Any questions? Concerns? Thoughts? Fire away?

2. TINGLER

TINGLER

Are you hand stamping all those tags?

DAMN!

I just wanted to say that I think the HAMB alliance is a great idea.

Like I said on the other thread, you can expect my money soon.

How long do we have to pay? Is it anytime all year or is there a window of opportunity?

3. Brewton

Brewton

Man - I love it! I think this is going to be great for everyone involved (members and vendors)! Thanks!

4. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

Ryan, I sent you a e-mail about becoming a vendor.

This is a great idea!

5. I think it's great, It's still not clear to me if it is a yearly subscription or a pay once type of thing?

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ryan, I have questions, How will a vendor know if we are an Alliance Member, when we call, do we just tell them we are a HAMB Alliance Member ?? ... and they believe us.... (what keeps a non-alliance member from telling them they are a member).

how does this all work.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's a yearly subscription... Every year there will be new tags...

Also, we currently have a bug we are working on but all members in the alliance will eventually have their user titles changed to "Alliance Member".

8. Plowboy

Plowboy

I guess I have been out of the loop. This is all news to me, but you have my cabbage now!

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

Ryan,.. I am VERY impressed with the entire concept, if we know of someone that might make a good ( or great ) Vendor should we have them contact you or just pave the way for you to contact them ? ( with your approval of course). or would you rather us not mess around with that at all ?

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Cool idea Ryan.....but I for one can't see spending $50 for a tag and (*for lack of better word) a 'coupon book' (I just bought from Coker too):( . Not right now anyway. Like I said in the other thread, every cent I manage to save is going into my project.
    Are Alliance members going to 'look down' on us non members 'cause we didn't or couldn't pony up $50?? I guess we'll soon see.
    I do plan on joining when I get the extra $$$:D

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yes, we will. We are now the "gold chainers" of the HAMB. I'm looking for a trailer for my computer right now!:D

I didn't pay the dough because of the "coupon book." I did it because I get a lot of info out of the HAMB - that has value, and I appreciate it. I paid because I could afford it at the moment.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I didn't pay the dough because of the "coupon book." I did it because I get a lot of info out of the HAMB - that has value, and I appreciate it. I paid because I could afford it at the moment.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY.......................

13. FONZI

FONZI

You also gotta realize that the "coupon book" is growing every day. It is almost like a AAA card for the hot rod world!

FONZI

14. About a year ago I found the HAMB and got hooked on it. The car sitting in my garage had been there for a long, long time. After going to the drags last summer, I came home and started working on my car again. I don't have a lot of money to buy the parts I need so the progress is slow. The 50 bucks I'll be sending is well worth the help I've recieved through this site. With out the HAMB my 40 chevy would still be collecting dust. Thank you Ryan, I think I'll go out and work on the car now
    $0.02
    Mick

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Alliance members have zero added functionality over regular members.

As far as the $50 cost, that is a personal thing for everybody I think. Some folks get $50 out of the HAMB a year and some don't... That said, for someone that is building a car I think it would end up saving them money in most cases to join the alliance regardless of whether or not they think the HAMB itself is worth it or not... Like I said, you will most likely save more than $50 if you use the alliance discount with Coker one time.

How bout if you are ordering a dropped axle from Pete & Jakes? The free shipping will save you close to $50.

How bout if you need to outfit your motor? The discounts from O'Brien, Hot Rod & Custom Supply, The Hot Rod Company, Cyclone, etc... will really start to add up.

I think it's pretty easy to more than make your money back from the alliance in less than a year... These discounts aren't trivial and they are exclusive. Do the numbers...

All that said, I won't think less of anyone for not joining. Some folks simply can't afford the $50 a year... And that is reason enough for me not to make the HAMB subscription only... I still believe that my main goal is to spread the gospel to anyone that wants it regardless of income level or commitment...

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well that didn't take long......hahahaha!

OH...and like I said, I will be joining up once my ride is going.
    The vendor discounts will come in HAMBdy *tm on the next build!

17. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

The "coupon book" is a way to recoup your money. The tag is just cool. Supporting the MAMB is the RIGHT thing to do and I am honored to be allowed to do so...(IMHO)

18. mazboi

mazboi
    from Austin, Tx

Great Idea!! I dont post alot but Im on here 3-5 times a day reading. Im getting ready to start a new project and know that I will need help and people on the HAMB will help.

Thanks guys, Chase

19. I don't think I would add "Alliance Member" to our titles... proudly displaying the plaque will be cool enough.

Some might see it as a badge of honor, other might not... others might not care... not displaying the name keeps the playing field flat.

Other than that... I think it's a cool idea.

Sam.

20. $50 bucks...that's it? Count me in! :)

The wealth of knowledge and inspriation that I have gotten over the years is priceless.

The discounts are great, but you wont find a closer 'tight-knitted' family as ours anywhere else in the 'Traditional Rod' community.

The HAMB doesnt have to set any standards, It keeps them going.

"Why try to re-invent the wheel? It been working fine since its inception"

21. love to join but the discount thing probabaly wouldn't be worth it over here....great Idea though

22. 50.00 is small potatoes.

just think how much you spend on crappy magazines every month/year.
    they may be cool, but the information is nowhere near what you get from the HAMB.
    that's a tank of gas, a few packs of smokes, or a lousy night out on the town.

spend the dough, support Ryan and the HAMB.

23. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

When I cough it up (gladly) I really don't care about the Alliance title under my name. I don't care who knows that I am a member or not. I know/think this is just a way of giving something special to those that help out. I do, however, think the discounts are really cool. The tag is cool too.

I like how you solved this dilemma of generating some revenue to do "extra" things with but still leaving the HAMB be what it is......not commercialized and elitist......cool!

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

I agree, I didn't do it for a title.

25. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

ditto on the title.

as far as overseas hambers, i think (hope) there would be SOME way to benefit them.

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

having "alliance title" is not important to me. supporting the HAMB is.

27. Rat L. Can

Rat L. Can
    from Indy

Even if don't wind up using my HAMB Alliance discount, I'm happy to have contributed something back to a place that has served me well, for free, for the past 2 years.

Thanks again Ryan.

28. CGkidd

CGkidd

I did it for the cool tag. LOL. Seriously I am on this place alot and don't mind pitching in to help it.
    Eric

29. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have a question...and it's a little odd.

I plan on going for the 50...but can we do more? The Hamb has done a lot for this little shop of mine...And I want to give some back. I just don't really have a clear cut idea on how to go about doing it. I would go for becoming a vendor. but we don't sell any parts that would be avalible to everyone (yet...), and the discount we offer Hambers does not apply to the poor sods that live outside of this great state. any Ideas?

30. Ruiner

Ruiner

just wanted to throw this out there, not sure if it's already been posted...but how about a printed and laminated card for us to carry around to car shows and swap meets for us to show vendors that we're "card carrying members"?...that way there should be no confusion as to who paid their dues and who didn't when it comes time to buy stuff live and in person with a particular vendor...