Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early Hot Rod sighting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by USMercUte, Jul 20, 2014.

1. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live in a small town in NorCal and my wife and I were in the local gas station fueling our car when a Dodge pickup pulling a trailer drives in. On the trailer was a 32 hot rod roadster absolutely fresh out of the barn. I could not believe my eyes and both of the guys could not have been nicer to share the story of the find. Apparently it was owned by a 90 year old gentleman who is in a rest home and his family is selling his assets. The barn it was stored in had to have a wall removed to get the car out. Last licensed in 1955, the car has suffered from the environment but I am still in shock from getting to actually see it. In my total disbelief I failed to get their names but I do know the fellow that bought it is from Visalia, CA and was wearing a 200 MPH Club shirt. His friend was from Fresno, CA.. They said they took lots of pictures of the car seeing daylight again and my hope is that someone on the HAMB knows them and could convince them to post some pictures and share the once in a lifetime experience of pulling a true early hot rod out of a barn. Details as I saw them: 37-8 wide 5 drums and wheels with hubcaps all around, Hydraulic brakes, tube shock conversion, 59A flathead, 39 taillights below deck lid each side of the plate, Maybe AA truck front bumper, full top & side-curtains, rumble seat, trailer hitch on rear (interesting), duel exhaust out the back, full fenders and running boards.

Someone will have to know these fellows and may be able to convince them to get some pictures out for all to see. I am still in awe of have the chance to see it personally. So they are still out there!

catdad49 likes this.
  2. Well damn it, sounds like those guys are living in my fantasy world.
    Thanks for sharing. I would love to know the rest of the story and see the pics too.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Without pics, I believe it. There is one in my community thats been parked since '58.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In MY fantasy, the guys feel sorry for me driving a T Bucket and they give me the car and title. Then, I wake up, throw something heavy and get ready for work. But.... one of these days.....:D

5. They are still out there,this one is about 2o minutes from my house,but I ain't telling you what barn it's in. HRP

[​IMG]

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like it needs a new home.

7. Fred,believe me when I tell you I have been after this one for a long time. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Danny: You don't really want another '32 do ya? Tim

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tim, You must be new to this hot rods thing or at least the world of '32's and '32 owners. A true '32 guy could have a dozen of each model '32, hear a rumor of another '32 stashed away somewhere, and without hesitation, hook up his trailer, empty his bank account, and head in the general direction of the rumor hell bent on adding one more to the herd. I'll readily admit to living that exact scene many times in the last 50 years. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but one thing is sure................hear another rumor and away you go again.

Frank

10. Frank,you know Tim's just pulling my leg. :) HRP

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

As for the original poster of this thread. You didn't have a cell phone handy to shoot a couple of pictures to share with us? I thought I was the only one who doesn't have a phone handy to record everything from an accident to an assault. We have a saying around here, "without pictures it didn't happen".

Frank

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. You are not the only one Frank! icon_lol.gif HRP

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

must be an old fart if he does not have a camera/phone/computer/buttscratcher in his hip pocket.

LOU WELLS and loudbang like this.
  14. Soooo..Frank spent all His money on 32's and can't afford a phone?

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My phone doesn't take those, "fancy Nancy" photos. And yes..... I WILL spray ya with the water hose.

16. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, who did not read the original post that I am looking for a connection to the owner of the 32...Sorry, I am 70 years old and own a flip phone because it works for me. What you younger guys have in technology, I have the ability to have seen it with my own eyes from the 50's to the 20 teens. This car was an awesome piece and deserves to be seen by a lot of people. Obviously I was so intrigued, I could not think, Or I would of gotten his name in the first place and invited him by my shop which was a very short distance away. Sorry................

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  17. spanners

spanners

Don't worry USMercUTe. You are not alone. My phone only makes calls and receives them. Some of these tech heads wouldn't notice the car in the first place because they are too busy looking at the phone screen of the cat video their mate sent them.

Andamo, loudbang and wazza like this.
  18. Most guys that replied are close to your age... Frank,Tom and I are not young whippersnappers and Franks comment is the normal retort to a I saw something but no photos are involved,,it's just a good humored jab.

Being on the right coast there is now way I could possibly know who the guys were,hopefully they may me hambers or at least associated with one that can post a photo or two.

If I wanted to take a picture I would need a camera myself. :) HRP

19. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey all you central California guys, it has been a day now and hopefully someone knows of the found 32 roadster now living in Visalia. Is there one of you that can convince them to put out some pictures of the find. My wife seems to remember that he currently owns a 32 roadster and 36 Ford P.U. Maybe with some pictures the guys on the right coast will believe that this thing does exist. JUST KIDDING GUYS, I HAVE CALMED DOWN.

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I don't want to high jack this topic away from the subject of rare finds, which we all love, but the subject of the Tech savvy crowd got me thinking of my favorite man movie quote. It goes something like this... "Geez Mr. where'd you learn to shoot like that?" "i read a book... it came with the gun." in the calmest and coolest delivery you could think of. Yes I have an IPhone, but why is it I always feel like the last wave of the " if you wanna ride your bicycle you better learn how to patch an inner tube and adjust and put on the chain" or " if you wanna ride your dirt bike you better kickstart it yourself and change the oil and a top end then clean your air filter if you want it to stay running". I've been waiting years for the day to tell my kids " if you want to drive a car you better at least know how to open the hood and check the oil". I sure hope they can handle that much without their phone doing it for them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey John, where were you when you saw this pickup/trailer? I know there are lots of guys in the Fresno area, and Tim McMaster (Y-block man here) is in Visalia. Someone HAS to know about it by now.

22. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in beautiful downtown Williams, CA on Sunday morning at about 8:30 and had the conversation so the guys could not of gotten home until mid/late afternoon Sunday and they had lots of raccoon shit to remove. I t cam out of Eureka, Ca but I was hoping they could tell that part of the story.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poor buggers with Cali plates on Dodge push trucks at Bonneville will get hounded about finding that deuce this year.

24. redo32

redo32

Pictures popped up on Pewsplace this morning.

25. redo32

redo32

26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Now that i've wiped the drool off and been reprimanded for gasping loud enough to scatter the chickens I'd like a little of the story. Wonder if the original owner is still cognizant and if these guy will follow up

fatforty likes this.
  27. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks redo32, that is the car that my wife and I saw Sunday morning and at least some photos make their way to this sight so others can see what had my interest so up. The photos were taken as they loaded it obviously. Still hoping the new owner will come forward with progress & details.

loudbang likes this.
  28. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Hopefully its just a clean and drive.

29. McFly

McFly

Wow! Yes, details please.

30. redo32

redo32

Hi John, This just proves that I spend too much time on the computer. Lynn Pew must know the guy, maybe he can post some more info. I wonder why none of our buddies in Eureka or Fortuna knew about this.