Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early hemi speed parts id and advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KFC, Mar 5, 2017.

1. dwollam

dwollam

I have a '52 331 going in my '33 Plymouth coupe with the same tranny adapter to a LaSalle tranny. My engines is still stock though, with the exception of a '54 4bbl intake and headers. Cool stuff ya got there!

Dave

2. George

George

3. Yep, those are our valve covers with the optional finned aluminum spark plug wire covers and they're on backwards:)
    The SP covers overhang the valve covers to allow the spark plus wires to exit - unless you have a fancy timing cover mounted distributor!
    Dennis

4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@Tetanus I turned that page for you.
    IMG_0018.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed Looks to be an 8x2 crossram, have you got any more photos of that set up.

6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what a stock Chrysler 331 hemi 51-53 short block looks like.

Attached Files:

7. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there you have a real pearler here, Edelbrock X3 intake with 6x2 carbs, Obrein Trucker rocker covers, looks to be Jahn's pistons, have a catalouge for the Jahn's pistons so could find a part# for ya, Largon front cover is a first for me, havn't seen one of these, so maybe very rare, adjustable push rods are aftermarket, piston compression will be in my catalouge, 51-53 had small 1 3/4 valves and small ports, 54 was the first to have large ports, also 51-53 had small ports in manifold, so 54 intake manifolds very hard to find and you may want to upgrade to 54 heads with large valves and ports. 51-54 had long snout cam, later motors had standard small block type cam snout and timing gears, early hemi had a larger key way in crank and lower timing gear, can use s/b Chrysler, but there are two type of s/b Chrysler timing gears, I think they use earlier set? will check my notes, you have to widen s/b Chrysler lower gear key way a little! What rocker gear does this motor run? You can post a photo if you like, watch 51-53 Chrysler cranks as the early transmission shared the engine oil by way of oil passage out thru crank shaft to flywheel flange! They had a clutched type of automatic gearbox, clutch to start off in first gear, shift with no clutch to second gear! been doing hemi's for 30 years, have forgotten somethings, so have to research some things in my notes, if you need any more info, just ask, were all here to help ya out! Bretto

KFC likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-6-22_16-9-27.png
    Modified crossram for 2 x extra carbs

upload_2017-6-22_16-10-2.jpeg
    Jabsco self-priming marine pump

upload_2017-6-22_16-11-22.png

upload_2017-6-22_16-26-34.jpeg
    Looks to be a 59 Ford Fairlane wheel minus centre crest

upload_2017-6-22_16-29-3.jpeg

upload_2017-6-22_16-44-29.png
    Could be a 41-56 Packard going by Masters Parts catalogues with that style of webbing and early Ford style axle ends. Centre is held in with 9 x studs. There are clearance notches in the housing face for crown wheel clearance. Circa 1955 Packard appeared to change to a Salisbury housing with no removable centre and a shared manual with Studebaker. There were other models with axles that came with conventional flanges for wheel to bolt to.
    upload_2017-6-22_17-35-33.png

KFC likes this.