Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford Axle Tube ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by craigibc, Feb 24, 2015.

1. craigibc

craigibc

Attached Files:

2. craigibc

craigibc

I like the end on the Winter's quickchange but do not see them anywhere online.

Attached Files:

3. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

So cut them off of a 9 inch axle. You put them in a lath and turn a lip on the edge to weld to the housing. The attached on my axles are the prefab types.

Attached Files:

• QC 2.jpg
      QC 2.jpg
      File size:
      292.7 KB
      Views:
    • QC.jpg
      QC.jpg
      File size:
      288.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Or grind the edges round on the billets ends and peen them so they look like forgings.

5. What are you worried about the bearing housing when your going to weld fabed brackets on for spring and bones of some kind? It kind of all goes together don't it?
    The Wizzard

6. craigibc

craigibc

True very true.....

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I believe hotrodworks.com may have them, but their site is down updating their site.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The old trick was early f1 or 49-51 ford/merc axles, ends, ect. It required some machining to get the splined gears to fit in the diff inplace of the early ford ones, but looks pretty straight forward

Or you could do like some of the old racers did and convert to 3/4 ton axles+ends

9. craigibc

craigibc

So what are the best axle tubes the truck tubes or standard early tubes? If the Ford truck tubes why?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Almost all the ones I mentioned are the same bolt pattern and adaptable, the benefit over early ford is they don't use ford tapered axles, I've read multiple era articals regarding how to do it, unfortunately I didn't copy them.

The 3/4 ton mentioned is strictly an era racing thing for dirt/strip stuff done for it's sheer bulletproofness and you are limited to 8 lug or wide 5 and it is heavy as hell

11. craigibc

craigibc

I love learning new stuff on the HAMB. I have been a computer guy my whole life and this is a whole new area for me and there is alot of cool stuff out there!!!!

12. P1010094.JPG P1010095.JPG P1010095.JPG Rear end mod 2 007.jpg This is a little late for you and I've posted it here before with little or no response. I hate trying to duplicate locating mounts to an exact location. I also don't like the look of hand fabbed mounts on Old School builds when you don't need them. Most of us Old Guys didn't even have a welder when we did our first builds. I like up grades as long as they are not in your face. Here is my way of late axles and brakes without redoing all the mounts and staying closed drive and No custom axles. You also will have that rough forged look your looking for.
    The Wizzard

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I've seen it done on the 3/4 ton stuff, and I'd assume it could be applied to more standard stuff, where guys bolt the axle ends on with the backing plate bolts, ofcourse they machine a step on the snout to center it on the ford ends.

14. craigibc

craigibc

keep the ideas coming love to get the genius of experience!

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here are few options using both the billet ends (painted) and the Ford 9" ends. I like the Ford ends but they will cost you more money than the $100 billet ends.
    fianlasse.jpg HalibrandQC6.jpg 40hsgjohns.jpg
    springhangers.jpg 9axletube.jpg Stays116.jpg hsgends9.jpg

16. craigibc

craigibc

Pewsplace,

Do you have a recommendation for the ford ends?

17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I try to locate a used early 9" rear housing with big bearings and 1/2'' holes. Sometimes salvage yards have scrap rear ends you can buy for $50 bucks. You can use any you can locate. Be careful when cutting off the ends as they extend into the housing. You can reach in a see where they end. I cut them off and remove the ends in a lathe as shown above.