Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod History and Photos Dallas Texas 1949 on -Caddo Mills Drag Races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KKrod, Apr 6, 2015.

1. KKrod

KKrod

I am going to post some rare images of Dallas hot rodding that are from the photo album of Jim Overbey. Jim helped found a hot rod club in Dallas (old East Dallas) in 1949, the Chaparrals Roadster Club. Jim was the founding club president. Fort Worth is 30 miles to the west of Dallas. The "Turtles" car club formed in Fort Worth in 1948.

Dallas was a city of about 300,000 at this time. Jim Overbey passed away in the 1990's.

Please feel free to add your comments. That is what will make this a good thread!!

As a time reference, the Caddo Mills drags began in Sept, 1951.

Karl Knecht

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    LOU WELLS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

This is going to be good.

3. KKrod

KKrod

Hwy 67? circa 1950. The hot rodders held time trials on a new stretch of highway east of Dallas. They timed their cars for top speed over a flying 1/4 mile. They also played hare and hound. The hound (hot rod) was sitting still on the side of the highway. The hare (car) would come by at 90 mph and start the stop watch as they pass the hot rod.. The hound was timed with the time it took him to accelerate and catch up with the car. It looks like it was pretty cold that day. Yes it does feel very cold in North Texas sometimes!

27T.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. KKrod

KKrod

32Cabriolet1.jpg 32Cabriolet2.jpg Hot rods. All that was required to legally drive a hot rod was to have license plates, a taillight, and headlights.

5. KKrod

KKrod

Bob Berkshire special (built in Calif) and Jimmy Carson '39 sedan (still exists) BerkshireHwy67.jpg Carson39.jpg

6. I'm going to enjoy this thread. Thanks in advance for posting.

kidcampbell71, KKrod and falcongeorge like this.
  7. KKrod

KKrod

8. KKrod

KKrod

9. KKrod

KKrod

Thanks Jimmy.

10. KKrod

KKrod

Jack Joerns' special. Jack was an RAF pilot in WWII. He was from Fort Worth and was president of the Turtles. He told me what all cars this was built from but I can't recall now. It was built on a Buick chassis and had a full race flathead. This car still exists in very nice condition. I would call this a "sports rod" more than a custom. JoernsSideView.jpg Joerns2.jpg JoernsInterior.jpg JoernsParking.jpg

11. KKrod

KKrod

These photos are of Jim Overbey and his roadster. Jim was the president of the Chaparrals from 1949-1953. Overbey17jpg.jpg Overbey10.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  12. Wow! Jack Joerns' special is the best proportioned custom sports car (special) I have seen.

KKrod, Tickety Boo and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. KKrod

KKrod

14. wow....great stuff - Hwy 67 runs through Cedar Hill which would become another site of an early drag strip of the 50's....Cedar Hill Drag Strip.....others will chime in - thanks again Jim and KK for sharing...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Awesome, and thanks for sharing Texas hot rod history ! Chaparrals are still alive and well, I see them around town from time to time.

16. Thanks Karl,,keep um coming...

17. Split bones, dropped axles, filled dashes, chopped stanchions, and channeled bodies...hot rodding was certainly pretty far along in DFW in 1950!

Really dig the "Dallas" topper in this pic;
    [​IMG]

18. KKrod

KKrod

Jimmy - I had no idea this car still existed. I went to the hot rod "Power Tour" when it stopped in Arlington in 2013? It was only a few miles from my house and I thought maybe there would be some rods there. I walked up on this car and couldn't believe my eyes. It looks really great in person. The owner is from near Houston. It has a early cadiallac engine in it now.

19. deadbeat

deadbeat

Thank you for posting,,,please keep them coming ,,,when your ready of course,,,

20. KKrod

KKrod

1951. These photos are from a "reliability style run. There were some very nice deuce roadsters in Dallas. Most of them were High boy style. The no. 5 car was brought from California. It was owned by Charlie Adams who owned Custom Automotive speed shop in Dallas. Amazingly it still exists. Perhaps wbrw32 will chime and tell more about Charlie Adams and the speed shop as he worked there. It continued in operation into the 60's. AdamsRoadster5.jpg

21. KKrod

KKrod

1951 - Unknown roadster.

Roadster10.jpg

22. KKrod

KKrod

more to come later...

302GMC likes this.
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wonderful thread. Many thanx for sharing. Gary

24. Anderson

Anderson

Another great thread from Karl Knecht!!

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great thread, keep em coming.

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

What a fantastic snapshot of the past. Love the Joern's Special. Looking at the background in these pictures of wide open country makes me wonder if this is all subdivisions now?

28. missysdad1

missysdad1

These are the types of cars that really turn my crank. I was five years old in 1951 and have been tuned into hot rods since shortly after that. I've lived through all the "seasons" of hot rodding and street rodding, but it is still these crude "gow jobs" that do it for me. Lets see some more!

29. draider

draider
    from Texas

Great thread, hope to see more Texas hot rod history.

30. KKrod

KKrod

I believe this roadster was from Denton and possibly owned by Marvin or Lewis Calvert. Denton is 30 miles to the NW of Dallas. Denton was also a hot rod center. Calvert Automotive. DeuceRoadster.jpg