Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earl Scheib????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Anyone have there car painted at Earl Scheib? How did it come out? I have a rust free Olds that I didn't want to sink a ton of money into and found a deal a Earl Scheib. 449$ 6 yr warranty..

2. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I remember when I was a kid my grandpa and all the other older guys I knew used to make jokes about earl scheib paint jobs, paint looked good but hardly any taping was performed.
    never seen one myself.

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I was thinking of removing all the moldings and bumpers ect.. There website is pretty cool..

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Repost from the newbie thread:

On my old econoline I had when I was 16 I did all the bodywork (not much, pretty straight) and removed the trim and stuff and brought it down to them. I had them spray a single stage cream white. Brought it home and wet sanded it and buffed it out and put all the trim back on. Looked like a $4000 paint job.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Do your own masking and remove everything you can before taking it in.
    Use some elbow grease after she comes home as stated earlier and you're done.

I worked at E.S. briefly in 1970 in San Gabriel, CA., $1.90 an hour and I was the guy who painted the tires black after the painter painted them yellow in the booth....no masking of the tires at all back then.
    We had a "Valentines Day Special", one day only for "any car any color" for $14.95...no kidding.
    My Mom had her Comet wagon painted beige that day...looked pretty good.

6. hotrod did a 66 fairlane 26 years ago they did all the prep and sanding gave the paint guy an extra 100$ for two coats and after a 1000/2000
    block party had a damn nice job. still holding too.

7. k-member

k-member

Had my Falcon painted by them about 7 years ago, like the others have said if you do some prep(or alot), should turn out OK. The Falcon still looks pretty good.

8. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to take your own paint and have them use it instead of their cheap product that usually doesn't hold up for very long.

9. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

in by 9 out by 5

10. ScottyVenture

ScottyVenture

Is it still $99.95?

11. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

"I'll paint any car, any color for $29.95. Right!!!" - Earl Scheib

When i worked at a shop as a kid, we did some work on Earl Scheibs son or grandsons dune buggy. Got to hear some good ol' Earl stories...

[​IMG]

-scott noteboom

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Here's an old sign from Earl Scheib's... the rotating globe:

[​IMG]

-scott noteboom

13. k9racer

k9racer

He did a great job on HRLC Big Olds...

14. ScottyVenture

ScottyVenture

Ah that's it..$29.95. Been awhile since I left Cali.

15. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

yeah it made the show circuit years ago and i got to see it at the Wolrd of Wheels show in Indy in 93 looked good.

16. BadLuck

BadLuck

Had a 63 Impala done once...as mentioned, I took off all the trim ,bumpers, glass etc. even did most of the body work myself. Painted it mint green color, came out really nice.

17. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I had the Yosemite Logging Company 32 truck painted there , off the frame, & on dollies, cab , bed both inside & out, 40 wheel & column 32 truck grill, 35 headlight buckets, came out pretty sweet , they cleared it twice so I could color sand , I didn't 'cus I wanted it to look old. I didn't touch the bed or roof etc as I wanted it to keep it's old character. Cost me $425 for everything !!! in the coolest dark green metallic (their color ) door logo is a decal !

Attached Files:

18. Like some said - do as much prep work as possible, take everything apart, do your own masking and buy your own paint.

Yes - good paint will cost much more than what the ES paint does . . . but you get what you pay for. As painters, some of their guys are pretty good . . . as they've sprayed LOTS of cars in their time! Their guys probably paint more cars in a month than most of us will ever paint in our lifetime . . . so they can handle a gun. Thow some extras tip money their way - may help a bit as well.

19. silent rick

silent rick

he'll paint your car GOOD, FAST and CHEAP (pick any two)

20. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

so im guessing the same goes for MAACO?

21. When the beatles came out it was 29.95 and they used the dent wheel to let you know how much it cost to fix the dent, I would love to have one of them wheels.
    it ran on the body and it was so much for each inch. LOL Have ya heard the new band the rolling stones ? I think there a splash in the pan. band Never make it.

22. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

The key is in the prep. The paint is decent quality, but you're basically paying for the cost of labor to shoot it. Everything else costs more.

I did the body/prep work on my cousin's car years ago...she took it to an Earl Schieb-type place we have around here called Maaco. They are known for crummy work at cheap prices. To say I was amazed with the $400 paint job after it came back would be an understatement...but I did spend a good week prepping the car.

23. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

A friend of mine had his truck painted a metalic green at Earl Scheib (El Monte) a couple of years ago. When he got it back, it only had a minimal shine to it, and it's just gotten worse. They use their 'own brand' of paint, and it's not very good. Oh...and he got it back with an obvious swipe mark in the wet paint across the front fender edge by the air hose. And, as a bonus...kitty cat foot prints in the wet paint on the hood!

They actually gave the truck back to him that way!:D

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

they have animals in their paint booth?

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

It was likely a big rat.

26. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

They rolled it out of the booth (if they used one) for the next car, while still wet.

27. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

I had my daily driver S-10 painted at Maaco about 6 months ago. I was going to do the prep work myself, but I knew I would never get around to it. I decided to go get an estimate for the whole job. The hood, tops of the fenders, and roof all neded to be sanded down to bare metal because the origional paint was so bad. They charged me around $900 to do all the prep and for a single stage paint. The truck looks great and I couldn't have been happeir with how it turned out. There were only two small places that had a little dirt in the paint but other than that I was very impressed. Oh yeah, the only thing I did was remove the bedliner and some of the plastic moldings before I dropped it off.

28. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

Yep. Maaco tapes off everything, 5 Mexicans rough up the old paint, lay on bondo, and the next day they paint it.

They actually do a good job painting, it's just the prep-work they don't do well.

I brought them a Panel truck that I prepped myself, and they did a good job on it. No runs, no orange peel.

If you go into the shop, most of the signs are in Mexican. Americans don't want to do this work anymore, and the Unions abandoned it in the 80's...

29. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by k9racer [​IMG]
    He did a great job on HRLC Big Olds...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So where is Earl Scheib anyway, thought he'd jump in on this one by now?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  30. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I had Macco (eugene oregon) paint my truck three years ago, I did all of the bodywork and prep myself so all they needed to do was prime and paint it. They skipped the priming, the paint blows off in the wind, there are drips and runs and sags and rust through. Worst $350 I ever spent. I would have been better off with rattle cans.