Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods E-tek's 1927 Model T "Runabout" Rod Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e-tek, Jun 11, 2012.

1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I had pulled the fenders off the 40 Ford to make removing the engine easy but now remembered I was supposed to mount the hood shocks before paint. So today I started re-assembling the front end - which was a damn good thing - because there's still a few things that needed to get cleaned up prior to paint and this will increase the ease of re-assembly once everything is painted.

[​IMG]

The inner fenders needed clearance near the front suspension points. I marked it to fit and will clean it up off the car -

[​IMG]

Once off I also strengthened a couple mounting points -

[​IMG]

Then I re-mounted them again. Tomorrow I'l mount the hood, set up the hood shocks and fabricate mounting points.

Yesterday I pulled the front suspension for the rod into the shop, again using the electric puller. I love this thing!

[​IMG]

This thing REALLY comes in handy to pull stuff in and out of the shop, especially when there's snow on the ground! I attached it to the the axle, then hooked the other end to a nearby tree and pulled the axle assembly across the driveway and next to the shop door. Then I put the axle on skates to move it in the shop -

[​IMG]

I doused it with penetrating liquid and left it overnight -

[​IMG]

That's a whack of leaves! When I take some out I'll be able to make some spoons for metalworking.

[​IMG]

This thing is incredibly original. Can someone tell me what year it is?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Here's the truck I'll be pulling some parts from - been sitting in the in-laws farm field for 40-some years....

[​IMG]

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks like you've got yourself a 1932 heavy axle there!

4. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

So I hear! Got lucky on that one.

5. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Tore it all down today - lots of heat used, as well as this tie rod tool, which made short work of the joints -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything was in good shape, including the brakes and backing plates - the shoes even have about 80% pad left on them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also finished cleaning up all the engine parts -

[​IMG]

I'm going to build a frame table on wheels this week so I can build the project at standing height and be able to (a) move it when needed and (b) store other stuff, like the engines and other parts, under it. Even with a 25 x 40 shop, space quickly becomes an issue!

6. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Got the spindles off - one king pin literally fell out and the other needed the axle boss to be heated cherry red...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Tie-rods had old-school cotter pins....

[​IMG]

Rebuilt -

[​IMG]

The rest of the parts -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressed out the old bushings -

[​IMG]

I'm thinking I'll build a drop axle jig, do that job and then use the same steel to make my build-table.

8. draider

draider
    from Texas

Looking good, Eazy-E-tek!

9. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Just thought I'd show how my 46 Merc was unceremoniously stored this winter. An early snow and too many vehicles left the Merc stranded in the second drive....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Interesting. I wonder how hard it will be to start again.

11. Toxic Tee

Toxic Tee

I'm looking for doors for my 27 model T coupe so if you can go back and get a price on a set of doors I would buy them

12. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

It has a battery charger and block heater on it, so me thinks an oil change and a bunch of WD40 should bring it back to life pretty quick. I just changed cap, points, condensor and wires too, so it was starting easy and running well when it went into hibernation....

13. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Now I am worried about how you have the power to that battery charger. Buried in all that snow :eek:.

14. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Its perfectly safe- trust me!!;)

15. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Odds n ends -

Removing bushings from 32 Ford Perch pins -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flaring 40Ford tranny lines to secure connector -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You will have to explain that one Ed. For a guy that does not see snow and has no idea about it all and mind you we are in our Autumn and still having heatwave weather here.

17. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I'm not exactly sure as to the science of it Simon, but in the snow belt (Mid America and north) we all run Christmas lights (with many extension cords and connectors) and block heaters and car warmers and such both on and under the snow all winter - and have for 50 years or more - and nothing untoward ever happens. Maybe the snow is dryer than one might think? As for the truck, the actual charger and block heater are dry under the hood, but melted snow could be running down the wires and into the connectors - but nothing ever happens! I'm so confident in the process, I have a cord running to a lamp sitting on the fence beside my HotTub all winter!

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

So the power cord is in th snow all the time.....WOW. Ed, I could not deal with that.
    The heatwave here is supposed to end today or tomorrow.

19. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I'll trade you places - just say the word!!

20. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

The word - No, but you would be welcome to visit and that includes the family.

21. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Dang, what a cool project! Have you decided if you're going to make a wooden bed for it again, or go steel? I think a wooden bed would offset it from the crowd for sure... Especially if you were to use the original hardware

22. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I'll likely make a wooden box to start - just cause it'll be nearly free, but I also like the looks of the small runabout box. I know of a couple decent ones, or I can cut down the one I have from a 38 PU parts truck....

23. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Started sorting and cleaning parts in advance of getting the frame and body into the shop.

[​IMG]

The blocks - big n' little - will be going to the machine shop over the next couple weeks -

[​IMG]

24. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Built me a build-table so as to start on my 27T rod, but also, to utilize the spot where all my engine where sitting. They where taking up an entire stall that I desperately needed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's 2 flatheads and a 302 under there!

[​IMG]

Also got the wheels loaded for a trip to the sandblaster -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You posted more photos here than you did on the GJ. Good use of space,

26. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Different audiences! Can't wait to get these painted up nice. They may go on my 46 Merc truck until the rod is ready...

[​IMG]

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

With different responses. I thought you got more feed back on the GJ.

28. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Always do. These guys are often at a loss for words - especially since they've been ordered to play nice!! :D

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I think the wheels on the Merc truck will not suit it. Just so you know I am not lost for words.

30. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

If it wasn't for you Simon, I'd think I was the only one here. Sometimes I think maybe I have some kind of filter on that doesn't allow replies.....or blocks them.... Guess it's just not that exciting.