Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods E-tek's 1927 Model T "Runabout" Rod Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e-tek, Jun 11, 2012.

1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Finally got a couple of the major parts of my rod project gathered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guy I got the shell from has a trailer full of T+A parts, as well as a yard full of boxes, suspenson and engine bits. Can pretty much go back and get whatever I need when I need:

[​IMG]

Plus, there's LOTS for others that may be doing T+A work....

[​IMG]

I also have a 48 Ford PU sitting in the bush ready for picking apart, as well as a variety of mills to choose from. Here's a 390FE in my 46 Merc getting a bath, but other options are a pre-46 Flatthead and a 351W:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the 27 RPU at home:

[​IMG]

Came loaded with some interesting antiques too..

[​IMG]

Good front and rear suspensions:

[​IMG]

Tho the ol' banjo rear - seeings as how it was designed for about 100hp - likely won't make it into the final rendition, which will hopefully end up around 400HP...

[​IMG]

Course it's still in the "thinkin' on" stage. There'll be lots more to come - just as soon as I get a few other projects done and out of the way!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

That rear may have been made for 40, but not 100!!! hahaha

Keep posting pics!!! :D

3. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Not trying to be a nazi or anything, but, 1927 = Model 'T', not 'A'...

4. Certainly a model T runabout, in this body style you can convert your roadster into a pick up by exchange the turtle deck for a pickup bed...

Attached Files:

5. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

T's.....A's - it's all Greek to me!!
    Funny - only on the HAMB is correcting someone being a 'Nazi'! I appreciate the correction - and thanks to ratamahata - cool find!

As for the HP - they may have HAD 40 RWHP, but they were designed for a max of 100 - as per my book: Henry's Wonderful Model T!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Got 'er cleaned up a bit...

There was about 4" of mud in the seat pan - and AMAZINGLY - it didn't rust out the pan, I mean, not at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 85 year old gas tank is also still intact - no holes I can see.

[​IMG]

After removing what was left of the wooden box I found the "flatdeck" pan was largely intact and even the wooden battery compartment cover was still there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love stuff like this.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

8. Roger53

Roger53

9. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Hmmm...how about the powerplant...

Got a few choices:
    Early (59A) Flathead:

[​IMG]

331FT (Truck Big Block) with 4 speed:

[​IMG]

390FE (Big Block):

[​IMG]

351W (small block) like this one but not as clean...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

How many times do I have to say Ed ? Go with the Sidey / Flathead.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Holly Shit Simon - are you and I the LAST 2 guys on the internet?!?!?!?:p
    Weird.

12. Kume

Kume

not trying to be a nazi or anything but that wooden pickup timber was groovy - I think I would have built the T around the wood.

13. I will vote for the side valve also and also Kume just may have something there too about that old wooden tray and sides. I like the idea of using the wood to be different.

14. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I totally agree with you on the wood being "cool" and would certainly make it a little different than all the rest. It'd also be WAY cheaper, since the guy with all the parts wants $700 for a (very nice) metal box...

Also.... you guys are NOT "nazi's" for giving helpful advice or for espousing your opinions! I'm not here just to show off my stuff, I'm also hoping to learn and get some good ideas for the build.

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

:rolleyes: We must just work in the same frame of time ;)

16. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

So.........I came across a wicked deal that pretty much sets me up in flathead heaven for life! Just came across an ad for 2 complete engines, one magnafluxed, along with a slew of new parts, Canadian Aluminum Heads, a tranny and lots more. All for $1200.

I pick it all up Saturday!

They also have an Ardun intake with 2 - Stromberg 97's with Chrome covers - but that's another $1500 I don't have!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Stripped the vintage iron and fasteners from the bed wood. May decide to re-make the bed as per the original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Model T did not have a "Banjo" rearend and they were not rated at 40HP either. All Model T's were known as 22HP from the year they started building them 1908 until they finished 1927.. No way in hell this rear end will handle any of the power you're even thinking about. Have rebuilt hundreds of them ,trust me.. The babbit thrust washers will melt right out of them..The straight roller bearings on the outer axle will not take any torque and don't forget the axle taper is so small that 40 HP would snap the end right off..

19. Mr. Guylou

Mr. Guylou

If im not mistaken that front end is the very desireable 32 "heavy" nice score and nice "T"

20. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

If we're getting into specifics, the 4-cylinder engines where rated even less than that, at 20HP throughout the Model T build - Whoa nelly!

You must have misread something somewhere - I said I WON'T be using the rear-end - for obvious reasons of course!

21. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Earlier I mentioned the two early blocks that just happen to come up for sale the day I decided to start looking again. I ended up with 2 engines, dismantled but comeplete, with one block fresh from the engine shop where it was magnafluxed and cleaned up. As well, I got 2 sets of Made In Canada High Compression Aluminum heads, 2 new water pumps and one 3 speed tranny. We spent the afternoon tuning on my Merc truck, loading up all the parts and getting them over to my shop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One set has already been polished out somewhat and one is as-cast:

[​IMG]

More to come....

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Just what you need.

23. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

The rest of the goodies:

2 early (59A) blocks, complete. I've needed one since I cracked the original block in my '46 Merc truck. I actually bought a couple earlier but they where both toast. I took a MUCH closer look at these ones -

[​IMG]

Plus, this second one was already cleaned and magnufluxed:
    [​IMG]

Another set of Canadian Aluminum heads, as cast:

[​IMG]

3 speed, 30's vintage tranny:

[​IMG]

Came with a lot of extra parts like these 2 new water pumps:

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks like some good flatty treasure ,

25. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Spent much of today sorting through the goodies. I'll never want for flathead or Rod material again!

26. NealinCA

NealinCA

This one looks like a 40 or earlier block with freeze plugs in the pan rail...

[​IMG]

27. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I was looking at those plugs.....any significance to them, good or bad?

28. NealinCA

NealinCA

It just tells me that it is not a 59A block, as they stopped those freeze plugs in the pan rail in 1940.

They can be a good thing, as I have seen quite a few 41 and later blocks with split pan rails.

Neal

29. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Well "funny" (not) you should say that - as that's what happened to the block from my '46 MErc truck that precipitated me looking for a replacement and how I ended up with these two engines.

[​IMG]

It's all in this thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44766

30. hello. nice score you found.. I am in need of a 27 coupe, windshield frame and trunk lid.. do you think this guy may have those.? do you have a name and number.? thanks, Lloyd