Register now to get rid of these ads!

(drought) lake lanier race track?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Nov 8, 2007.

1. fuckum and the beemer they rode in on:D

2. That Burt, now I get it.

3. MidnightTrain

MidnightTrain
    from North Ga

I really need to watch the damn news a bit more or something. I live less than 5mins from lake lanier.

Anybody know abouts how much you can actually see? Save the stands.

4. Thumper

Thumper

Damn midnight........you must be up here with me. I live about 5 minutes from the Damn.....Uhh Dam.

5. Went out to the old track (Gainesville Speedway) today and if you want to race, you better bring snorkels. The only thing you can see is the concrete stands and you can literally walk to them in what used to be the lake. Vandals have been doing their work on the concrete. The stands must have been way up the side of the hill because you can't see any of the track, just the stands. Still kinda eerie sitting there imagining what it was like. The third picture is the old highway and it used to go to town before the lake. Now it deadends in the lake.If we don't get rain, we may have the races yet.Everything you see red is normally under water.
    Over and out.

Attached Files:

6. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Ed and I also went out there today. I have no pics yet cause I had to use a 35mm, my digital camera is broken.

Old guy out there that talked to us for an hour about racing at that track and many others. he said the track was around 75 to 100 feet down from the top of the grandstand. The river ran behind the track. Said that a few of the drivers parked their race cars in the infield to let the die with the track cause they thought racing would be over for that area.
    He also said there is a track in Rabbit town across from so resturant (gainesville area) in the woods. Supposedly there is still stands and a flaggers stand there.
    It is an odd feeling to sit there and imagine what it looked like back then.
    Teenie boppers and hood rats have diffently been doing their part to start destroying the bleachers.

Did yall find the filling station? I am gonna go back, to find it.We didn't have enough daylight after talking to the old guy.

7. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

The old guy told us the name of the track but i couldn't remember it. But i looked on the Ga racing hall of fame and it was called "Looper speedway"

Here are the pictures they have.
    [​IMG]

8. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

9. GrantH

GrantH

some day....when new orleans dries up.....youll be able to see it again as well.

oops.

thats a cool thing that came from something that from what i can tell has become quite terrible. used to live in atlanta, loved it. would love to see that in person and sit in those stands! i bet that older guy could have told stories for days. ever thought of trying to see what tin is below the water? a scuba license and some balls could find out rather quickly.

10. Thumper

Thumper

LMAO........it's there......trust me.:D

11. GrantH

GrantH

please...do tell ;)

12. damn that's gotta be cool to see, wish i could head down with everyone....take pics!

13. Was this track an oval?

14. StrickV8

StrickV8

paddle faster! I hear banjo music.

15. k9racer

k9racer

Yes sir it was or I guess is under the water..

16. I play GPL, Grand Prix Legends. It's a racing sim for the pc. It's based on 67 Formula 1 cars. It has a strong following, guys have made tracks for the game. This site has a track named Lainer, it's an oval. I don't have the converter to download it, or I would. I wonder if it's the same track? Here's the link, it's the 2nd one down. Dean
    http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?%24limit=300&%24disp=&%24country=&%24type=Oval&%24kind=&%24q_search=&%24date=&%24length=ASC&%24r_turns=&%24r_search=&%24show_results=0&%24show_gplrank=&%24intr=&%24sbtd=&%24send=Submit

17. k9racer

k9racer

Lanier across the street from road atlanta.. now asphalt has been dirt.. . also the site of brad 54 swap meet.

18. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

"buried underneath.....man..that's about as buried as you gonna' get" Burt Reynolds sorry, movie nerd in me just came bustin' out.

19. Amazing. the guy I talked to today said it was Gainesville Speedway, but the Historic people are no doubt accurate. I attended two meetings of the old time racers in Gainesville, and they mentioned it there, but no one mentioned the name. When the water is up, it is a beautiful spot.I will get pictures of the meetings up on my website. Looper Speedway sure is fitting.

20. i heard yall was gonna pray for some rain and some assholes decided to protest?? WTF ... whats it gonna hurt tryin..

21. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Damn, that's wild. I spent a lot of time in that area growing up, I have family in Clarkesville, and used to race ar Road Atlanta a lot....sad to see all those lakes so low. But cool to see history reveal itself.

22. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Haven't heard anything about that. :confused:

23. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

i lived in kennesaw for a couple of years awhile ago...and lake lanier was awesome...sad to see it so low...never knew there was a track down there...i think i drank a few gallons of that lake water trying to learn how to wakeboard....gross

24. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

It could have been called Gainesville also, but who knows. That old guy mentioned something about gainesville speedway, too but it soulnded like it was somewhere else up there. There was a track called hall county on 211 right past crystal farms, he said you could still see the fence, if you knew where it was. But who knows. He said it was less then a 1/2 mile track dirt track, he couldnt remember how big though.

25. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Might go back these weekend, if your up for it. Not sure yet. May go to Moultrie:rolleyes:
    But Dec N. Ga. HAMb meet sounds like a good plan too.

26. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

Well we all must have just missed each other. We got there as the sun was setting. It was hard to get a good picture, but it was cool sitting there thinking about the people that sat there long before I was born that shared the need for speed that we have now.

[​IMG]

27. hillbilly hemi

hillbilly hemi

Glad ya'll came out yesterday Pauly, and thanks for postin the pic, mine didnt turn out good enough to make out. Definately a cool experience to say the least.
    Troy

28. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

Yeah, it was that time of day where it takes more than point & shoot to make good pics. this is the only one that came out worth posting.