Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dream car into reality, 32 Victoria in glass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wedjim, Oct 20, 2014.

1. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

2. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

I am building a car I have wanted since I was a teenager. The journey has been posted in the intro thread mistakenly until now. After some prodding by a couple of folks, I am attempting to fix it. So...

It is of unknown origin made of fiberglass. It says poliform California on most pieces, but the body is aged from storage, well made it appears and should make a great driver.
    I am building it as a late 60's, early seventies style hot rod, just like I Would have done as a kid if I had the dough. SBC, 3x2 intake, ceramic coated shorty headers, aluminum angle plug heads, good cam, 700R4, 8" ford with 3:70 gears. Torque thrust style wheels, lucky 7 dropped front I-beam, etc.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846067.118117.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846119.553731.jpg

The starting point.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

After taking the rails and related components to Tim at Clarke Hot Rods in Daytona, I was informed there were better options that what was in my package deal. So he agreed to build me a boxed chassis, with a dropped front crossmember, rear coil over mounts and brake pedal assembly. All I had to do was weld up the front shock mounts, ladder bar crossmember, engine and trans mounts, rear axle shock and ladder bar mounts....easy. :/

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846383.035051.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846324.531945.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Building an engine and chassis was a lot of fun. I certainly tested my ability to absorb information having never built a 32. I've done muscle cars and trucks, my latest a custom 49 Chevy, but this was a new experience for me. I wanted to do it from the start, rather then redo substandard work like I've done in the past.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846644.916469.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846680.719155.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.

5. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846719.037553.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846756.609721.jpg

It's a roller at this point. Time for body install.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846812.324719.jpg

Butch M and volvobrynk like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good to see the project moved over here, looks like you are moving along nicely. Look forward to updates. Bob

8. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Fenders and running boards. I built braces for the running boards knowing that I'll likely be e only one not trying to stand on them once it's painted. :)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846888.662647.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413846944.950294.jpg

Trying for a stock appearing dash. Also gong to use door handles with pulleys to active the bear claw latches. I hate door poppers....might as well drive a BMW, imo.

Thinking about cutting and fabbing a cowl vent also. Has anyone done it?

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Jumping ahead to what it looks like today with body straightening underway...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413847106.875532.jpg

Made a inner structure for attaching interior. I couldn't find any real info for this other then thousands on a wood kit that isn't made for a glass car. Or paying an interior guy to fab it all. But my goal is to do everything I can, including paint.

I will have to pay someone to stitch the seats, since mint green isn't for me. Keeping the car all black, silver and greys.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413847265.917011.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413847279.601378.jpg

Any input on this would be great!

Blocking the fenders and radiator she'll this coming weekend. As well as the 4 piece hood if I have time. Then 3 coats of high build primer and sand again....

Then Kirker Hot Rod Satin black.

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  10. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Thanks Bob! Glad someone took the time to post a response in here, you're number 1! Apparently. haha

Any input is welcomed.

11. Several guys have added cowl vents...research Barry's (ratrod0) build,his comes to mind as the most recent. HRP

12. F&J

F&J

The spirit of the build is more important that the build era, the year-make-model, or what a body is made from..

You are building what you recall, so your's won't be the same as mine.

But you got it easier....because it must be nice and warm down there.

wedjim likes this.
  13. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Thanks HRP, I'll check it out!

[QUOTE/]"The spirit of the build is more important that the build era, the year-make-model, or what a body is made from..

You are building what you recall, so your's won't be the same as mine.

But you got it easier....because it must be nice and warm down there."[/QUOTE]

haha, 82 degrees today! I actually got a sunburn blocking the car Saturday since our covered area in the back of the shop was full of big jobs.

Thanks guys!

loudbang likes this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

looks like a good start.

15. ratrod0

ratrod0

Hay putting a cowl vent in is one of the easiest things to do call new age motor sports get there kit comes with templates and detailed instructions. I'm fixing to put another one in my new car

16. Looks like a great start.

wedjim likes this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like what you are doing. Keep up the good work. A '32 Vickie is a favorite of mine.
    Best wishes on your project.

Ray

18. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Thanks everyone. Going to check out some links now...even though I can't afford a steel car right now, I want 99% of folks to not realize it isn't. Plus not have to deal with rust. :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. I bet that this is going to turn out great...Keep it going as we are all watching.....

wedjim likes this.
  20. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Thanks Deuce!

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Any Info on mill and drivetrain?
    Dosn't matter if it's a fiberglass car or steel, not to me st least. Not as long as dors/hood/fenders fit, and it does not Shake, Rattle and Rools, and with the right amount of interior, doors sound like a vintage Mercedes, when closed. Almost. :D

Basicly with a lot a work it looses the tupperware feel. And a cowl vent would look so good, and ad to the creatbillity (sp?) of the car bring steel.
    Nice chassis.

22. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Ok, today I straightened out the hood sides and 2 piece hood, welded a couple of the seams that someone before me had ground too much allowing the rolled edge to separate.
    The side panels are brand new and I was glad to notice the indents that mark the handle and hold down locations! That makes things easier.

I also layer in the floor and firewall sound deadener. I'm using GT mat. Seems ok, not Dynamat standard, but 1/3 the price and close enough.
    [​IMG]

I glassed in all my bracing in the dash area and floors before covering it. I left the bracing in the dash exposed for grounds though.

I also have the material now to fab a lower dash extension and make a console. I'm using PVC in .250". I'm hoping I can cut it, then form it with a heat gun for curved shapes? Anyone use it before?

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

I have used it on OT project to hold parts while fabbing other parts to mount to it.

It can be made to bend but the heat range where it will bend and not melt is narrow. Try some practice runs first, it's takes a bit to figure out when it is soft enough to bend but not hot enough to melt and it CAN CATCH FIRE ask me how it know LOL.

Maybe a heat gun will not be hot enough I used a camping stove thing with an open frame burner and it took some heat to get it moving.

I found it best to pass it into and out of the flame so the heat spreads in between the time it's in the open flame and out resting for a second works better than just leaving it in the flame for a long time

Keep some water handy to cool it off after bending.

I would imagine it can give off some nasty fumes IF it catches fire so outdoors or well ventilated areas only. My wife was not happy when she came home and her kitchen smelled like burnt plastic after my experiment. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  24. I like the progress and results so far. Keep it up! Should be a fun car when you are done and 95% of the public won't know the difference being fiberglass body.

25. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Thanks Loudbang. That's just the tips I'm looking for. I have a 24 x 48" sheet, so a little test material. The dash extension will be cut and no bending, so shouldn't be too bad. The console I wanted to curve around the shifter area just in front of the seats.
    We'll see.

26. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

38Chevy454, I appreciate that. I don't mind it being a glass car, but I like the thought of people not being sure rather than spotting it from 40 feet away.
    I'm thinking of some dummy door hinges even, but not sure I want to get too crazy. I'm more worried about driving it then over doing the sneaky aspects. lol

27. hallrods

hallrods

Nice looking car. I think it's a great feeling to be able to build a car you like the way you want it and that's what fiberglass can allow you to do. Don't feel you have to apologize for it being glass. Have fun keep up the good work.

wedjim likes this.
  28. belair

belair

I like it. Press on.

wedjim and hipster like this.
  29. 62rebel

62rebel

cool work. don't let it being glass fret ya none. it's a real car.... whatever it's made of!

wedjim likes this.