Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. christmas tree

christmas tree

Talking about the old days (flagman) I do not know how they kept from getting from ran over. When a hot car was running the guys would cluster up around the starting line like flies on a cow turd. Never saw anybody get hurt as the Good Lord must have enjoyed drag racing and was looking over us.

thehazguy and loudbang like this.
  2. cs39ford

cs39ford

55 Nomad, thehazguy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

GREAT photo !!!

4. 55 Nomad and loudbang like this.
  5. thehazguy

thehazguy

[​IMG]

Found these in my folder. Can't remember posting this one

6. thehazguy

thehazguy

[​IMG]

Found these in my folder. Can't remember posting this one

7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thinking of the 1961 nations and seeing the photo of Eddie Hill's car, was it 61 or later that he staged the car to make a pass and when he dumped the hammer instead of moving forward, the rear tires sat there and spun and ended up digging two six inch deep holes in the starting line?

8. loudbang

loudbang

close but not the same.

4.JPG

and willys 1.jpg

and willys.JPG

3.JPG

flying dutchman

Flying Dutchman willys.JPG

bucksnort.jpg

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Emerson Bros vs sour Grapes
    emerson Bros vs Sour grapes.JPG

9. Both of those Kellison's are the same car. Roger Hardcastle's Stinger. The first one is the later version with reworked nose and candy paint.

10. thehazguy and loudbang like this.
  11. rooman

rooman

Beat me to it Dean. The later version also had the rear wheel openings radiused to clear the Goodyear Blue Streaks which replaced the old "pie crust" slicks.

Roo

12. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  13. Roo, Joe Locosto was the first driver of the Stinger. After a few runs, Joe stepped away with some comment about anyone would be nuts to try to drive that thing. Well that's a perfect description of Gary Southern. Gary used to hang out at Bud's Muffler where all us locals hung out. I can tell you from what I observed, Gary was one crazy SOB! Like Larry Faust in Gene's coupe, Gary was the perfect fit. He logged some 200mph passes in the Stinger, and became a hero. The Stinger was ahead of it's time. They wanted to run it in the early funny car class, but it wasn't accepted because the class still was mostly A/FX cars on fuel. The NHRA said they had to run in T/F and it actually qualified for the show at the Winternationals. The T/F guys bitched , and the Stinger became a match racer.

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

In motion. Trying to get out of the driveway? 16996453_10208383506011896_9075619848620913890_n.jpg

15. LOL! I'm gonna pretend that my photographer is the second guy from the left behind the fence wearing the sporty cap and aiming his camera. :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  16. thehazguy

thehazguy

17. thehazguy

thehazguy

18. rudestude

rudestude

First time I have ever seen this set up ....Before the Christmas tree my.... I guess it would be more like street drags from stop light to stop light... Actually that's the way it was in Longview WA when I first raced there , down on industrial way there was a 4 way stop light going into one of the mills they would line you up at the light when the light change you hit....One night I was out there running my 27-T and a guy from the mill came out on a bad ass bike he went up against my friend in a firebird the bike took off and stood it up on the rear wheel and keep it there as he went by the bird then you could see him come back our way with alot of red and blue lights behind him as he went by ,he had stood it up again,you could here him yelling cops cops so I got the hell out of town[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. loudbang

loudbang

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Note camera mounted above front axle

9 note camnera.JPG

10.JPG

20. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

1969 U S Nationals--the aftermath of a big wheelstand.

Roo

21. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Nye Frank and George Klass' Pulsator. This is the second, long wheelbase version with Bob Muravez at the helm

Roo

22. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Crooke and Green's Assassin with the Chrysler. The car is now restored to its cammer Ford configuration.

Roo

23. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

A young Billy Tidwell in the Catton and Tidwell entry--before top fuel and marriage to Linda Vaughn.

Roo

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  24. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Les Allen in the Wasp about the time that brother Ed was wheeling the Stinger and little brother Jeb was a tire wiper.

Roo

25. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

George "the Crazy Painter" Cerney.
    Loudbang, if you are going to continue to hijack photos from other sites at least post the captions as well for those who don't know the history of these cars. Giving credit to Ralph, Don etc who shot them would also be nice. I can do most of them from memory but was checking something and saw that these J/F shots all came from the same page on WDIFL.

Roo

26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Always love the Junior Fueler class.

Jimbo

27. loudbang

loudbang

I would be happy to give credit to the people that shot them and include the captions but the site doesn't have that info and it's not WDIFL I have no idea where the shots came from.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and thehazguy like this.
  28. thehazguy

thehazguy

29. thehazguy

thehazguy

30. loudbang

loudbang

I humbly apologize in advance to anyone offended that this batch has no caption or photo credits attached I post them as I find them. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa. If any of these are your work please send me a PM and I will add the info immediately.

11 and intake.JPG

12.JPG

13 altewred and road.JPG

14 and six.JPG

15 and road.JPG 34.JPG

and road 1 (2).JPG

and road 1.JPG

and roadster.JPG

Beebe & Mulligan Beebe &  Mulligan.JPG