Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Smirrnov car. I cant make out the other car, WCM?? at OCIR

[​IMG]

hendelec, Bowtie Coupe and Dean Lowe like this.
  2. Caspers -Stokey at Bako 65?
    [​IMG]

3. The 'Goose in the Yeakle car

[​IMG]

4. Hank Westmoreland in the Praying Mantis

[​IMG]

5. The not-so-successful AA/FD of Skinner, Jobe and partner Jim Crosser that ran from early '64 to March '65 with ZERO race wins and that FAILED TO QUALIFY at the '65 NHRA Winternats. Featuring a 140" wheelbase home-built chassis by Skinner and Jobe with leaf spring front end and driven by Roy Tuller, John Morton and Bob Muravez before Mike Sorokin became the team's permanent driver in January '65

[​IMG]

6. The fabled "Surfers" AA/FD of Bob Skinner and Tom Jobe that Mike Sorokin drove from it's debut in April '65 through it's final race at Indy on Labor Day '66. Featuring a 157" wheelbase Frank Huzar/RCS chassis powered by Skinner and Jobe's "magical" 392 Chrysler Hemi, this car catapulted the trio from Santa Monica to drag racing hero status by going undefeated in 14 straight weeks of SoCal T/F
    [​IMG]

7. Long before he became one of the best funny car pilots of all time, Pat Foster drove the "R&R Engines" AA/FD. A Scrima chassis and Don Brown body, this shot at Lions in 1964 is with a motor they borrowed from Don Alderson (Milodon).

[​IMG]

8. Snake in the Hawaiian v Ivo at the 65 Bako Meet
    [​IMG]

9. Beebe & Mulligan at Cecil County

[​IMG]

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

This shot of Big lightin' 'em up with the crowd just a few feet away still amazes me everytime I see it....
    Where would this have been Gary?
    [​IMG]

11. I'm thinking Lions...but I could be wrong.

Those were amazing times...it's a wonder more people weren't hurt or killed by flying clutches and flywheels!

12. I don't know, LIONS perhaps? Maybe Irwindale? Anybody know???

13. Irwindale. I stood there a few times myself.

14. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thanks Dean, you 'been there' guys (you know who you are) are a huge asset to this site. The history & knowledge you guys share and post is appreciated by every one who seeks the truth of 'how it really was'.

16. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Gary Rocky's car broke an engine and Jimmy's first time out new car crashed at Fernando on the same day, so they teamed up and it was called Childs & Albert after that

As I recall they ran Jimmy's engine from then on, plus starting up their parts biz too with starters - rods etc

DND

17. rooman

rooman

Might be the red Hawaiian.

Roo