Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_0273.JPG
    This is my 3rd attempt at posting this. Is it the charm?
    My car with my first Quickchange in it.:)
    I believe it still exists and I may be close to finding it.

2. loudbang

loudbang

Worked fine this try, looks good.

3. Ryan's a drag racer! Who knew? You just went way up on the cool list my man!

loudbang, thehazguy, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

6. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

That is Too Flippin' Cool.

loudbang likes this.
  7. thehazguy

thehazguy

8. thehazguy

thehazguy

9. thehazguy

thehazguy

10. The nicest steel bodied Fiat altered ever. How many altered Fiats have you seen with the original spare tire cover? Had the original aluminum grill surround too. These guys built show quality race cars.
    [​IMG]

11. rooman

rooman

Ask him what else he has driven on the track Dean and you may get a surprise.

Roo

thehazguy and loudbang like this.
  12. Well, Roo, if it's circle track, we're brother's from another mother!

loudbang and thehazguy like this.
  13. OK Ryan, spill it. What else have you raced! Impaired minds want to know!

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've mentioned it before on here. The Davis/Ingram Fiat is one of my favorite race cars (of any kind) of all time. That thing is flat beautiful. (especially in color)
    Dean, I think I remember it mentioned that Ryan did some lefty/righty stuff of the SCCA/IMSA variety at one time. I could be totally wrong of course.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Most of my career was spent on road courses in Europe, but I did a little circle track stuff as well - sadly, only on dirt a handful of times though.

16. Only on dirt!?? That's the best there is in oval track racing Ryan. I've run on dirt and pavement. Dirt is by far my favorite. Driving with the throttle is where it's at!!

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Fiats have always been one of my favorite drag cars, this one represents the other end of the scale of Davis and Ingram, simple, clean and inexpensive. Topolino.png

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

For in the so-cal area the ' Dunn-Merrit - Valasco & Reath ' car was very nice too , and it ran pretty good too

Long live the ' Fuel Altereds ' as they put on a great show

DND

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  19. "This car ran NHRA Super Comp from 1994 until 1996 largely unchanged from how you see it above (however, it was red) and won two national events. Guess who the driver was?

Me!!!!"

Well what do you know!!! Ryan in a CORVETTE in a straight line even! TOO COOL my friend, prestige up a few notches man!!!!

20. thehazguy

thehazguy

21. thehazguy

thehazguy

22. R&M were a customers along with Lee Shepard when I worked for Kwik Way......just regular guys back then.... Boss I didn't know you had it in ya !

23. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Well Ryan, the history of that Corvette would be a really interesting read.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Marty, the yellow Fiat gets props for the nice polished grill surround. Wonder how many of those wound up in the dumpster?

thehazguy, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  25. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

I want this car.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know a ton of history on the car really... We found it in a shop in Oklahoma City. It was just a used up old race car at the time, but the chassis was really smartly built. At the time, RM was building two small blocks for us - one to go NHRA racing in the S/C and S/G classes and another wild SBC (with nitrous) built to go IHRA Pro Mod racing.

When we sent RM pictures of the car we had bought (well, Super Shops actually bought it... Long Story), they responded back that it looked like Lee's old car. They then did some fact checking and as it turns out, it was. The car was bought off the showroom and was a racecar since new. The chassis that was under it when we bought it was one of the last that Lee ever built. A testament to his know-how, the car was still really competitive in the late 1990s with minimal changes even in the IHRA class... Despite the fact that the car was really under powered (SBC Promod), it qualified for I think 3 out of the 5 or so races we attempted to run in it.

As an index car with the milder SBC, it was dead nuts consistent. The car dominated in local West Texas bracket racing and won two national NHRA events in the S/C class. It was my favorite of all the drag cars we campaigned... and the only one I didn't crash.

In any case, two more photos and then I swear I'm done... And no more off topic crap from me (practice as I preach and not as I do I guess...)

02.jpg
    I was 18 years old in this one... this was right after we go the car ready to run and before it was painted up with sponsor shit... We were headed to Thunder Valley for shake down runs with the milder of the two SBCs...

01.jpg

I think this one is from Thunder Valley and from the same trip? In any case, it was a gorgeous car... I absolutely loved it before it was all painted up with sponsor logos... My fondest memory of the car was that even though it had been converted to a modern electronic race car with staging aids, delay boxes, throttle stops, line lock, etc... it still ran the original steering wheel and door release knobs.

I think the fastest time the car ever ran was something like a 7.80 at 185mph or so...

stillrunners, loudbang and thehazguy like this.
  27. glrbird

glrbird

I think its ok to stray when you are talking about Texas Hero's like Reher Morrison and Sheppard, God I miss Modified Eliminator.

loudbang and thehazguy like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I guess I am lucky, the surround is still on mine ! As much as I would like to make an Altered out of it, having all of the sheet metal forces me go another route. IMG_2848_1.JPG

29. What do you have in mind Marty????

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My current plan is to build something on the order of John Callies 303 Simca, but without the widened fenders. I have a 215 Buick and a five speed slated for that project.