Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

3. I remember the race team Brewer and Mull, but not that car.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Damn! Nothing says "Rail Dragster" more then the top of the slicks at eye level! Damn COOL!

hendelec and tommyd like this.
  7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

9. 296ardun

296ardun

a4a44bed9d84050e82efb6d522605a54.jpg
    Not sure of the identity of this one...info from DDDenny: The Bantam was the Oregon based AA/FA piloted by Kenney Goodell, partnered with Rusty Thomas and Don Jackson, campaigned during the mid 60's.
    Car is still owned by Don Jackson of Newberg Oregon, restored and named "Purple Haze".

blacknwhitehj.jpg

brainard.jpg
    Early Brainerd MN, no ID on car (correction: Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip, Hixon, TN...40 powered with a blown Chev...thanks to TLB@HCG, see post 45023 for the original picture and more information.

car.jpg
    Anyone?

cbae1856a9729e0694962396a3c59f4e.jpg
    Anyone? Jr Fueler at Lions...several votes for Enriquez and Adams, very well could be.

cook.jpg
    Don Cook

Cordova-Il.jpg
    Champion Speed Shop...I'm guessing Sammy Hale was driving at this time.

dc3195f542320199bfa265b05a699de6.jpg
    I've seen a lot of different sidewinder designs, but have not seen this before. Belt drive, or chain drive? Any info at all?

dee6013a949d03bb509a65f1437745e3.jpg
    I posted this a few years ago but got the captions wrong. Rod Stuckey in front, Gordon Collett from Portsmouth, OH in the TE-440 gas car. With the grape vines in the background, this could be Fontana. Stuckey would later get badly burned in this car at Half Moon Bay, racing at a benefit meet for Bud Barnett, who had been badly burned in Gotelli's car. Another reminder of how dangerous top fuel racing was back then.

DRPG26-1.jpg
    I'm not sure who was driving the Bateman Oil Tool car (maybe Steve Carbone?), at the moment the blower disintegrated. Remember what the late Pat Foster said about driving T/F cars then, "sit low!"

tony-waters.jpg
    Tony Waters, looks like Bakersfield. Tony runner-uped in '59 to Art Chrisman, blew the blower ducting the next year....Desoto with front-mounted blower in this version, later went to a top-mounted blower
    (car painted Smoker's purple). What ever happened to this car?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Smog Rat, hendelec, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Denny, I will add to post...

15. misigis

misigis
    from NY

tommyd and hendelec like this.
  16. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave

I was at Fernando the week after Stucky was burned and they pit a young Don in the car and he light the tires right to the lights, and I believe that was his first ride in a new single hoop roll bar type car

Rods hands were in pretty bad shape all covered up with cotton & gauze

Then I think that car went to Ansen, then maybe the GBP all time winner ?

296ardun likes this.
  17. Adams & Enriquez?

[​IMG]

tommyd likes this.
  18. WTH? A Mustang roof on a '65-'66 Barracuda body, with a Duster grille? :confused: That's as good of a guess as I can muster up... o_O

tommyd likes this.
  19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Depends on whether you believe Stuckey or Fuller!

296ardun likes this.
  20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yes Tom, it gets a bit confusing as I think two cars were built at the same time and they both went some ware else in a short period of time

They were all slick cars back in those great fueler days ' Priceless ' memories

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

22. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

As I remember they won 247 out of 259 races, and top fuel at the Beach for 11 weeks straight

I was there watching them win a few Sat nite fuel shows

Keith and the guys sure had everybody covered for awhile

296ardun likes this.
  23. Larry T

Larry T

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Green Valley another drag strip that put drag racing on the map.
    Jimbo

Green Valley Dragway Smithfield Texas.jpg Green Valley Contestant.jpg Green Valley Raceway 1981 Qualifier.jpg

stillrunners and tommyd like this.
  25. 296ardun

296ardun

Tom, great point, there are two stories here, one from Fuller and one from Stuckey...here is Fuller's, from the Standard 1320 site...(sorry, it is a bit long)

From The Horse's Mouth...The Real Story About Building the GBP Dragster

First met Stuckey when he came to town with Bob Sullivan's car. I was pretty impressed with that act. I think now that he claimed more responsibility for that car than he actually had. He claimed to be a very good body man and if he had a good chassis, he could make a neat looking car. I wanted to build my car at the time but didn't have any money for pipe, so we made a deal that he would buy tubing for two cars in exchange for my doing a frame and front end. I didn't mount the engine or rear end and he went home. I started building my car,ZPF, and got Wayne Ewing to build the body. That was right after he helped me with the Magwinder. Stuckey got back to town a few months later with a completed car and ran Half Moon Bay. Impressed everyone up North and started me in the fuel dragster business. I'd only built gas dragsters and roadsters to this point. Got calls from Gotelli and Masters and Richter right away, I'm now in the fuel dragster business.

Owning to the fact that Stuckey had a sign on the car that said "Chassis by Fuller" and talked me up pretty good. He was a hell of a salesman. Car was sold to Cash Auto Parts to help pay hospital bills. Bay area guys had a benefit race for him. He went home to recoup for awhile. By the time he came out again, Louie Senter had the car. Stuckey planned on running the car with Louie and I didn't hear any of that story except Stuckey said, those guys down there didn't know what they were doing. By this time ZPF has won Bakersfield and I had quite a few fuel cars running. Stuckey was still going being my best salesman and I was planning on building him another car to be my representative. Prudhomme and I were having trouble with Zueschel's ego and had broken up the ZPF partnership. I was going to put 2 unblown fuel Chevys side by side in the car and had figured out a really slick driveline where I wouldn't have to alter the looks of the car. Chet Herbert said he would sponsor the engines so I bought 2 sets of heads and started on the driveline. Sent the heads over to Dick Harryman to get ported. He got them all done very quickly and sold them to someone when he ran short of money. Hardly pissed me off at all. By this time Louie had sold the car to Greer and Stuckey was going to run it for them. Back under the heading of "loose lips sink ships" Stuckey was still out at the shop telling me all his plans. Keith and (I think) Dan Broussard came and took me to lunch, said they were leary of Stuckey and what could I tell them about him. What I said was "I thought he was my factory rep" Keith said if he was, he wasn't a good one and told me a few disparaging things Stuckey had said. Keith didn't want to do any chassis work and still thought chassis were some mysterious thing. I was looking for a place to park Prudhomme so I could get him back after I got my car done. He was back hanging around with Ivo and that was not to my advantage at the time. Stuckey had told me he was going to let Keith build the engine but was going to slip in his own cam, time it and not let Keith know what it was. He thought he was the only one in the country that could make the chassis work by changing the timing, in this case it was 8 degrees retarded. When I mentioned this to Keith, he got as pissed off as I had ever seen him so we made a deal to do the chassis work for nothing if he would give Prudhomme a ride. I was sharing a shop with Wayne Ewing when they brought the car out. I started on the chassis work and they made a deal with Wayne for the body. What was different about my car was the mid section and motor mounts. Keith wanted a standard Donovan rear end so he could use the billet axels. I cut the top rail out from the front motor mount to the rear end upright. The original way was the Donovan engine plate with the ears out the side so to pull the engine, you had to take off the clutch can, clutch flywheel, enging plate, then you could remove the motor. My way was to make an aluminum engine plate that was a body former-firewall and rear engine mount. It hung over the top framerails and was easy to take out with 4 small bolts. I put a new toprail engine plate upright, rearend mounts, and motormounts. The chassis went next door to Wayne. By this time, Ansen and Pink decided to buy the ZPF car and I decided to move North because of a lot of promises from Jim McClennan. Just eat a piece of pie in the sky and things will be wonderful. This is the time for the story of Stuckey tracing my flamecut patterns and going into business with Ivo happened that I've told too many times and I'm not going to do it here. I had moved North by the time Wayne got the body done. I drove down to help put the car together and we took it out to Pomona for the first time. The only two parts left on the car that Stuckey had anything to do with were the streamline tubing draglink and steering wheel. The draglink broke first time out because Stuckey had made it out of two short pieces of tubing welded in the middle and you will notice in the picture of the first time out the black tape on the draglink where it broke. Made him a new round tubing draglink but I could never get him to take the ugly steering wheel off as that was Pruhommes favorite thing in drag racing. Probably still is. Stuckeys last comment to Black as he is driving out of town was "you have really screwed up and nobody will ever hear of this car again".

And that is more than enough of this story. Make a copy and pass it on so I don't have to tell it again.

Stuckey is no longer with us so I can't give his story...assume it would be different.

tommyd likes this.
  26. 296ardun

296ardun

Could be...here are a couple of shots of Adams & Enriquez from Don Ewald's site:
    Adams-Enriquez-lions.jpg

Adams-Enriquez-pomona.jpg
    The car in the original picture looks longer, but it could be a later version...these guys built several Jr. fuelers...

27. 296ardun

296ardun

efe69c827062e84622544fe1ba12012e.jpg
    No ID on this Lions shot, except that it is an SPE chassis

f2ef695f59d39614039a414ec3c5ada1.jpg
    Any ID on this modified roadster? Firestone drag slicks...tried and failed to compete with Goodyear and M&H...

Grassman at SanGabe.jpg
    Only ID is "Grassman at San Gabriel"...the Plymouth behind it is the Milne Brothers SS run by Bill Hanyon, and the Vette behind it might be Steve Bovan's ... he and Hanyon both worked at Blair's back then...and both met bad endings...

JuniorThompson62atSanGabe.jpg
    Caption says it all...San Gabriel was a fun track to race at, Steve Gibbs and Jim Tice treated the racers fairly, competition was good...only a memory now.

lastscan.jpg
    I can't read the name on the door (but then again just had cataract surgery a couple of hours ago!)

lime_rickey2.jpg
    Gotta love the name, "Lime Rickey," looks like Fremont, or maybe Vacaville after the freeway went in.

pc6.jpg
    GBP at Pomona

reyes_dv_2_4.jpg
    Rare shot of Jim Busby's Indy car Ford two-motor car in action...Jim didn't run the car more than a couple of times, then sold the engines for more than he paid for them...,

Dean Lowe and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ardun
    I read that Busby sold them back to the race team he originally bought them from.
    IIRC he got double his money back, about 30 grand.
    Story goes that USAC disallowed the engines for competition, then changed their mind after the team sold them to Busby.

296ardun likes this.
  29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

11149503_912004468873939_4877882500845263033_n.jpg A two fer! Stocker and Shirley.