Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. thanks Gary for posting !

2. Smog Rat

Smog Rat

Here is another angle of the match race with my dad and Mooneyham & Sharp at San Gabriel in April, 1963. As Dean indicated, this was for the #1 spot on the Drag News Junior Mr. Eliminator list. Unfortunately, my dad came up short this time. That 554 Coupe was tough to beat!

Dad vs 554 (2).jpg

stillrunners and Dean Lowe like this.
  3. Take a look at the helmet in the middle pic! Better tighten that chin strap, catching some air at speed.[​IMG][/QUOTE]

4. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Wake up man!

5. tire wiper

tire wiper

"Paul Sutherland and Charger II"

6. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Smog Rat,
    I believe this was at San Gabriel in about '62 or '63 and your dad was still running the roadster. I was talking to the late Bill Alexander when he looked past my shoulder and said...."Check this out." There was your dad standing next to the roadster looking at something across the pits. He was in the 'uniform of the day', blue Levis and white racing T-shirt. He had kind of a frown on his face. Standing next to him was a little boy about 5yrs. old wearing Levis and a white racing T-shirt sporting the same frown on his face. Boyd and the little boy both had their hands stuck in the front pockets of their Levis. I think Bill said something like "You can sure tell who that kid belongs to."
    I think it's interesting how we can remember moments like that so many years ago and forget what we did this morning.

7. tire wiper

tire wiper

"Kelly Brown"

8. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Damm, that Mag 7 car was cool.

9. tire wiper

tire wiper

"Larry Hedlund. Son Scott competes in Comp. Elim. today."

10. tire wiper

tire wiper

"From the looks of it, its the B&L Mopar 426 wedge. The B is Bob Johnson, the L is Leonard Abbott." JC

11. tire wiper

tire wiper

"Either Ed or Les Allen in the Stinger. They both drove this car. The yellow with orange border gives it away." JC

12. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Gary,

Thanks for posting the pics, they're tremendous !!!

13. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

This is my grandpa's dragster!! He and Leon Fitzgerald were partners and this car also had a drag body that they would put on so they could compete in two classes.