Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don Montgomery's Hot Rod Books

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockerhead, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

I just want to say what a great experience it has been after being introduced to the HAMB when SUHRsc put my flyer for the new book on the site and several others recommended checking out the HAMB over a month ago. The many nice comments about my books have been sincerely appreciated. Perhaps the best part is the emails and real mails I have received with info and/or pictures of the project cars the individuals are doing. It has been fun seeing what is being or has been built in the hot rodding world. Thanks to all who have sent this information. I will have a booth in the main building (Bldg 4) at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona later this month. Hopefully many HAMBers will stop by and say "Hello".
    The HAMB is a great source of information that if I have had when I grew up would have saved me much time and money that I spent on misguided hot rod projects. Thanks to all - Don

2. Fossil

Fossil

Hey Don THANK YOU! I think I've worn the pages out on my copy of your Gasser book. It's what steered me into the Willys stuff, and served as a virtual construction guide for me. You've documented MANY aspects of Hot Rodding for generations to come. Thanks again!

-Scott

3. Thanks to you, for making a difference, and capturing alot of history, which people take for granted.

I'm relatively young (32), and your books have inspired me no end, to which, I again thank you for your contribution to the rodding society, worldwide.

With thanks,

Drewfus:)

4. Well I had (another) great surprise when Mrs. Santa blessed me with another one of your awesome aoutographed books.

See you at the GNRS!

Dennis

5. Glad to see you on the board Don.I have purchsed several of your books and was not disappointed.Great history and pictures.Wrote a couple times and always got a prompt response.Thanks for what you do and I look forward to the next one;whatever it may be.
    Ray Smith

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Your books are among the most treasured in my library. Thanks for all the hard work it takes to assemble, write, edit, and publish them.

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i just wanted to say hi don, i know you dont probely remember me but years ago i met you at the last merc/deuce reunion,

i was just a punk kid in a beat up old 32 pickup and i approched you about selling your 3-w , not even having a clue of the value of that car, but you took the time to talk with me for what must have been hours and showed me your books at the time i didnt have any money to buy them from you , but when i got home i made sure i ordered them from you ,

they are still my prized possesion, i have had them for almost 9 yrs and still look through them all the time, im not sure if you realize what a great asset you have given the younger generation by taking the time to put those books together, but i would like to thank you , i feel cheated to not have grown up in so-cal in the 40s like you but in a way i get to live it through your books, once again..... THANKS DON!

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Like what already been said, Your books are an inspiration to old traditional hot rod lovers.

I gotta say, Don, that the service you provided in filling my order was fantastic. I had to wait for x-mas day to open the pakage containing your latest book, and it was one of the longest waits I think i've ever had to endure. What a magic book.

Thanks again.

9. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hi Don

I REALLY enjoyed your latest book. It was great. Keep them coming.

Also thanks for the $2 refund, you should have kept it. But I'll buy you coffee if I ever meet you.

Thanks, Magnus

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Don-
    Thank you for all you have done and are continuing to do for the sake of historya nd the hot rodding tradition. Thank you!!

11. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

I find it really hard to believe this thread only went one page.

CoalTownKid, Good work bringing this back to life.

Thanks,

Don. Thanks for everything. From all who are "in the know".

Rob.

12. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

Hi Don, my girl gave me an autographed book for x-mas last year ! You wrote "Chris, may all your hotrod dreams come true" on the first page ! I really want to say thank you again for that ,I almost had tears in my eyes because it was such a wonderful present and with these books my dreams will come true !
    It´s all the inspiration I need for hotrodding over here in good ole´germany. Soon I´ll have all of your books.
    regards,
    Chris

13. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Additional to reading your books, one of the great pleassures about them, is spreading the info of there existance.

A few weeks ago klazurfer and myself sold a stock 32 chassie and a banger to a younger guy who are set up to build a late 30's - early 40's Hot Rod.

I asked if he got the books and he said no, never heard of 'em.
    I said go get the Montgomery books ASAP.
    Monday this week he came by to pic up some of the stuff and he had been buying 3 of your books in the meantime.

He was all worked up and smiling like I knew he would be.:):):)

Sure is easy to spread gospel with material like that available.

Again thanks for your efforts. 2 of my books you have endorsed, and that is an honour. They are priceless.

Paul

14. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

...time to open this thread again, it's been awhile it seems:)

I own one of Don's books #2 (Hot Rods As They Were) and it's amazingly good, filled with tons of great nostalgic photos and information. A very good source and tool to build them ..."as they were". I just recently picked up a 1927 Model T RPU and have gotten very obsessed with the dry lakes era, that i've been sourcing more and more information about the 1946-1949 days of building rods and racing them. I just stumbled upon Don's website where he has all his books for sale-

http://www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com/index.html

and even spoke to Don personally and he was very kind and pleasurable to chat with:)
    I'm really excited and looking forward to receiving the books i just ordered ( 4 more to be exact) of those early days of racing.

Special thanks goes to Don for all his hard work, time and perseverance to publish these loaded treasures of inspiration and information! Pick these books up if you can, and get them from his personal website and support his business.

I hope your able to sell many more of these books to future builders and hot rod enthusiasts all over the world.

Thanks again, great speaking with you today and hope to meet you someday!
    grace and peace†
    cab

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Don, I had you autograph 2 of your books years ago at LAR Fathers Day show, & enjoyed yakking with you. Wishing you continued success!!--------------Don

16. studematt

studematt

I have almost all of your books and they are all great. I highly recomend them to everyone that shows interest in the hobby. Thank you for your contrbution. I get inspired everytime I look at them.

17. Funny enough, I was flipping through my copy this morning & found a letter from Don which was a reply to a letter I sent him in 1999 making inquiries about a car in one of his books. Don's the real deal, his books are awesome.

18. pastlane

pastlane

Hi Don, good to see you here! For anyone that doesn't already have all of Don's books ya better add them to your Christmas/ birthday wish list. As others have said, they are all excellent.

19. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Used all his books when I was building my '32 Roadster as text books . Showed the tops , gauges , lights of the era I was after . Glad they were available . Thank You Don..............Z.

Attached Files:

20. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

anymore of that one pics Z. Diddy?

21. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Don is one of the true Hot Rod Heros and a real gentleman to talk to. And as everyone else said, the books are great too !!!!

22. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Hey, Don, I, too, suspect you don't remember me, but I met and talked to you at the very first Goodguys in P'town. I bought one of your early books and you signed it, then we had a nice chat about the old days. Good to hear from you!

23. daredevilcustoms

daredevilcustoms
    from Ohio

Don, good to hear your name again. It's been years but I supplied the information and pictures of Chcuk Finders for your Gasser book. Thanks, Joe Andulics

24. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Don, I'm taking good care of the pedal ...
    Ted in Idaho

25. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Hi Don: It's great to see you on here at last. I have all your books, except the latest one. They have been a great inspiration in building my era coorect flathead powered dry lakes modified, as well as my under construction ( the last 10+ yrs), a 42 merc chopped top convert, that was inspired by your books.Are you ever going to get up to Salem Oregon @ the Salem Speed Shop, where I got your signed copies you left with Glenn?.I'm waiting for you to get up here so I can get your latest book.Let me know & i'll be there!.
    Bill Sanders.
    p.s. Glenn is doing great & the articles in Hot Rod Magazine have kept him hopping with phone calls & emails.

26. Don,

Just filled in the gaps in my collection or your books at the GNRS. It was nice to meet you and your wife, thanks for inscribing them for me. Very valuable resource materials and great fun to read.

Thanks again, Johnnie.

27. jangleguy

jangleguy

Glad to hear you're still knockin' out books, Don. We had a little correspondence in the
    80's, when you were getting this deal rolling, then again in the 90's, when I worked for a company that sold your stuff. You were a bad influence, as I'm now writing, myself.
    Plus I'm assisting Dr. Lockjaw with the restoration of Ernie Nicholson's "Super Stude" Gasser, thanks to your influence...
    Like so many others have said, Don is the real deal - a guy with a big passion and little agenda.

28. bonesy

bonesy

I've worn out more than a couple of copies of your books - no joke. Thanks for the education.

29. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Hi Don, Have been meaning to mail this to you. From HOT ROD magazine July 1953. Talked about with you at Pomona. I'm sure you don't remember. Anyway have your books and love them and it's great to see you on here and I've always enjoyed talking to you. Thanks for all your work.
    Oh and by the way my dentist for the past 30 years has been Bob Atol...who'd a thought?

Best, Jack Butler ....Pinhole Photographer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    Sue Ellingson likes this.
  30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Thank you for preserving the history of hot rodding. Your books are a national treasure and should be in the Smithsonian archives, if they're not already! Keep on rockin' Don!