Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

woo hoo - action shots!

Fun stuff.

One thing at a time is progress.

-W

2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Come on Andrew, so close yet so -------------------------------far. We've been watching for so loooooooooooooooooooong.

3. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Just caught up. Been an interesting ride reading your trials and tribulations thats for sure.

I see your a Stripper. Are you on the pinhead lounge at all?

Dan

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Stripper?
    Have i missed something,but i havent seen any poles in this thread?:D
    Just kidding,but i havent seen any pinstriping stuff either...

5. Andrew stripping? I knew there was a reason for that brass pole in the garage....

KustomCandy likes this.
  6. I'm pretty sure most people would be happier if I kept my clothes on. Not a lot of striping going on these days, but I did used to do shit like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't really picked up a brush in a long time.

Back to the oh-so-exciting world of trunk lids. Mine didn't fit worth a damn, and it seemed like the springs in the hinges were trying to force it open at the leading edge (closest to the rear window), so time to have at 'er...

I popped the hinge pins out and pulled the entire mechanism out...

[​IMG]

Now when Mr. Bleed chopped my car, he lengthened the trunk lid. Shortened the package tray. And hacked the fuck out of the hinge boxes. Nothing a few goober welds can't fix, right?

[​IMG]

Oh, Mr. Bleed. Alright, I cut them off properly and fabbed up new tailpieces...

[​IMG]

I drilled a few more holes thinking I could move the hinge pins and give them some adjustability. Smart idea right? Wrong. Don't do that, it doesn't work.

The springs still seem to be too forceful and the lid still doesn't want to sit properly...

[​IMG]

So I cut some coils off the springs...

[​IMG]

I ended up taking 3 coils off and that helped. I'm going to take 1 more off I think, then I'll probably add a gas strut of some sort to help get the lid up. It's a heavy fucker, I'm amazed it still doesn't sit down quite right.

Next up, more cutting. Not happy with the wonky trunk gaps, so I cut the body and moved things pretty much where I wanted them to straighten up the lip...

[​IMG]

Then I trimmed a chunk off each side of the trunk lid and using my carefully calibrated paint stirrer, I welded 3/16 rod to give myself a nice edge...

[​IMG]

Lots of welding...

[​IMG]

Lots of grinding...

[​IMG]

...and I don't have an after shot. It's not quite done yet, but it pretty much lines up, latches and sits... almost... where it's supposed to...

[​IMG]

Pain in the arse, I'm tellin' ya.

Somewhere in the last month or so I also figured out how to make my doors open with the stock inside door handles using some pullies, springs and aircraft cable...

[​IMG]

That might come in handy if I ever do drive this damn thing.

7. who dat bearded dude in the pic?
    That second pic is proudly hung at my bar!
    Keep at it, you do excellent on that shoe.....
    ...and i gotta remember to send ya a pic later tonight

8. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Andrew, can you shim the hinge "downward", where it attaches under the package tray?

I'm guessin', the attach point is welded in under the package tray, Yes?

Drill out the spot welds, and shim that Bitch lower!

9. Hey, it's STILL damn cold up here in Canadia!

It is welded in there, yep. I was thinking about doing exactly what you're suggesting, and I may still. I'll be back out there today for a bit, might make a little more progress.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's a lot of welding & grinding , but the end result's well worth it . Shoeboxes were definately not built like a Lexus , LOL !!

11. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Hooray, you are still working on the S/Box, We were worried!!!

12. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Damn, caught out on my chatting finger on a cold morning (its winter down here too). :)
    Nice 1shot Panels btw.

Dan

13. No worries Dan, thanks for the compliment. Wish I had time to paint, but what little time I've got is spent on this project.

14. I move at glacier speed but I keep going. Too dumb to quit. I probably won't post too many updates until there's something worth posting about. A lot of nit-picky little jobs these days, not much to look at.

Tudor likes this.
  15. I wanna a ride in August!

Tudor likes this.
  16. If it's that bad, take it back to the last owner and get your cash back :eek:

It's the attention to detail that we want to see. Keep up the good work

17. Good ta see ya hangin' with it Andrew. I swear sometimes these old rides are a test of patience and perseverance. I know exactly watcha mean, seems like sometimes they fight you for every step. But then ya get through a tough spot and things move along for a bit. Like the video title man, it's 'meditation for mad men'. Hang in there man!

Tudor likes this.
  18. Anything??? Shop pics....new tools....more ideas, thoughts, ponderings...wrist slitting....anything??

19. Canada Day photos?

20. Now i have read every item on your thread, amazing what perseverance can do, plus a vision and skill.
    I have a project Shoebox as well and have been looking to you for inspiration and perspiration in equal measure.
    Mines a 50 2 door sedan with the 8BA flattie with all the right stuff on it plus a T5 Mustang trans and a Mustie rear end, Jamco dropped spindles and disc brakes stock height so where from here?
    Keep me encouraged out here on the Wet Coast, well dry coast this year, look forward to your next posts

21. boone503

boone503
    from oregon

Andrew,
    i just started reading your thread. creative to say the least. i also liked the car-toon you did, takes me back to another time. i would use that one if you don't mind. i'm thinking on the tailgate of my 48 f1. try not to get too down about all the time you have in the car. i took two years to do the frame on my ford f1, and i'm retired. i see you are an art director, is that at a school or ? i work p.t. at the community college here in oregon city, oregon.
    Dan

22. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

23. 9 months till the dead line

24. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

Just read the whole thread and you are doing an awesome job. I'll be watching this.

25. @boone503 I work in advertising/marketing, but I did teach for a couple of years a long time ago. If you want to use one of my paintings on your tailgate you're welcome to. I know a bunch of people with my work tattooed on them, but no tailgates yet :D PM me your email address and I can send you a high res file.

I have been puttering, pondering, and procrastinating. Progress is being made. Nothing worthwhile to report.

26. damn it.....get going!

[​IMG]

27. Nice Jeffey ;) you got the rare 'Red Light' version.

28. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Keep on Keepin on Andrew. Some of us are glutten for punishment. Get that bitch driving Steel in Motion is coming!!! Over......

29. Hey, BIG A !... I just ran across your thread... and what you did to fix that gooofy-ass poor fit of your trunk lid is EXACTLY the same problem I have... been grumping around for the last couple of weeks about what I was going to do about it....that very very very poor fit of the trunk lid (it comes in contact with both sides)... I elected to not use the hinge springs at all, and will be getting a couple of gas cylinders. My lid is 35 pounds, and I found a website where you can calculate the required gas cylinder/selection to work. I'm sorry to say, since that was a few months ago, I don't have the link to it right now, but will see if I can find it again tomorrow... Good lookin' work... keep it up!!
    Here is the "sub-gallery" of the hinge work... below that is the link to the main page for my build......
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Trunk-Lid-Hinges-Retrofit/i-FVSPnt3