Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Rock on you sock fucker!

I'm waiting on my ride

2. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Great looking work man. I was wondering what you chopped the tail light sections out of the other body for. Looks killer. Have you thought about frenching the lenses?

3. Wow, I'm impressed. Wish I could spare some vacation and come up to help for a week.

Keep up the good work.

4. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

When I see builds like this where guys are fighting nightmares of rust, turning it into great output, it makes me deliriously happy that I live in Arizona. OMG Big A ... great job!

Barry

5. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I'm subscribed. This is awesome. If you really haven't done this before, you are my hero. I like the dual taillights. Can't wait to see this done.

6. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Wow AWESOME!! I really had no idea it was that bad...... But you are doing an amazing job! That is the first car I ever chopped. I didn't do any of that other stuff.... I bought it as a runner, used it as a daily for a couple years and then chopped it....Some of my first dates with my wife Laura were in that car. It is amazing to see what you are doing with it....

I knew it was going to need some work , but jeez....... I think I need to find something cool to send you.

7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO likes. Very nice work. Like the dually taillamps. Neat add on. I need to find a shop to kick the project Thunderturd (my avatar) into high gear. Keep on rollin' you weekend warrior.

VR&C.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

9. StrickV8

StrickV8

You sir are my hero and a true inspiration to get out in the garage tonight!!!

Absolutely amazing Andrew. You've gotta get back down to GA and show us southern boys where that drive and determination comes from...Proud of ya brother for sticking with it. You're building a cool ass shoebox and can't wait to see more updates...

10. Glad we dont have rusty ass cars like that in Ga. I know you missed a couple of deadlines but youll be much happier with the car when its done right. Keep on diggin youll be there in no time.

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great work - keep on rollin' !

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

Awesome work!!

13. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

GAWD, tell me you at least knew how to MIG weld before you started this! Otherwise I'm terminally embarassed. I'm intimidated by a couple teeny rust out areas (by comparison to what you've already done) in my '55 Chevy truck kick panels .

You've got a pair dude to take on floor replacement, modding a bead roller, having your own dies made then rolling all on your own patch panels. HUGE kudos...and a bow!

14. Malo

Malo

Great work!

15. LLWillysfan

LLWillysfan
    from Maine

I thought I read somewhere earlier in the thread that he said that he didn't own any tools or have any first hand experience when he started. Went back to check and sure enough, that's what he said! I'm not 100% convinced he's not pulling our leg but I for one am truly inspired.

BigA, not only is this one of the most entertaining build threads of all time, the no nonsense way you have pursued your project and the quality of your work is nothing short of amazing. Can't wait for more. Thanks man.

16. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Great work bro. The best part is that you just an average self taught guy on your first build. Keep at it you are a true inspiration to guy that is also rebuilding a rusty piece of shit. :):):) Looks I need to get off my ass and get crackin!!!

17. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I can assure you he's not pulling your leg. It is inspiring to see him crankin this shit out.

18. Raw talent there brother! And he can draw and paint too. Why can't he get a green card?

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Andrew!
    Good to hear that my build thread has been useful.
    I never liked to say that people should do this and that with their builds,but i think those taillights would look like killer as frenched.There was a neat trick how to french them on Buddy Palumbo's shoebox build thread..

20. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

damn brother youve been busy! very impressive progress on the bleedmobile. So what color ya thinkin?

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Fantastic....you are an inspiration...keep up the good work

22. I'm kinda blown away by the response guys, thanks.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I can't afford to pay anyone else, bought a car that was farther gone than I expected, so it was either get dirty or throw my money away.

I learned a ton hanging with all the guys from the SFCC. Yep, dumb club name, but the boys have a ton of cool cars and lots of knowledge. They are not afraid to get in and get 'er done. Build 'em, Drive 'em, Break 'em, Fix 'em.

I took an oxy-gas and arc welding course at the local college then bought a super cheap $299 flux core welder. I converted it to gas about a month ago. My Dad had a O/A torch set-up that he bought years ago and rarely touched so I snagged it. I bought a used drill press off Kijiji, and I keep my eyes open for sales. A chop saw, sawzall, 3 grinders with different wheels, a couple of BFHs, lots of jacks and stands, and a shop crane can pretty much get any job done. There are a few things on the list still. I grabbed a used sandblasting cabinet, but I don't own a compressor yet. My rented shop does not have 220, and I'm not buying a compressor until I can get the one I want.

MUCH is demystified as soon as you start cutting things apart.

Shee-it Tyler, if you'd come up here for a week we could have this thing DONE. And that's with me sitting around drinking beer watching you work. :D

For whatever reason, I'm just not a fan of frenched lights, but I may change my mind once I get to the stage where I can focus on more details. The lights up front won't be stock, and the taillights will relate. I may get some smooth Lee lenses. Overall I want all the custom touches to look almost stock to the untrained eye. It's sure going to confuse some of the old restorer guys :D

23. Thanks Bob, glad you like what I'm up to. I'll drive 'er to Austin one of these days so you can take a closer look.

24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Unreal skill, and a great narrator to boot!!
    You got my respect man...
    Awesome, and yep those twin tail lights are killer!!!!
    Keep us posted...
    Cheers..........

25. jasone

jasone

Inspirational, subscribed.

26. LLWillysfan

LLWillysfan
    from Maine

That's what I was afraid of. Not sure if I feel motivated or depressed.

27. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Now THATS what I like to hear!! Customize to enhance, not to change ;)

28. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Nice Job! Everything is coming together great! Getting lots of inspiration here!

29. 57J2

57J2

Thanks for taking the time to post. There's a lot of good info there. You're giving me lots of ideas for my 50 88.

30. gonzo

gonzo

Great build thread thanks for posting!