Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. NO CASH! NO CAR!! DAMMIT!!

allwilly likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can you torque a head on it and run a bore gauge up from the bottom to check it?

3. Well Tony, if you have any hope of catching Yesterdays Child, might wanna name it "The Truant Officer" or "Yesterdays Cousin"?

4. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Hi Tony I had some piping hot spotted dick for my tea(dinner) this evening with some nice English custard .
    Hi Peanut 1959 thanks for highlighting that
    estuary english is pronounced Bollicks proper English Bo llocks oh the finer points of the English language
    Sorry Dog_patch back to the thread

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  5. Tony, if you pay real money & have you car lettered as "The Terrior's Tea Bag" or "The Polka Dotted Pecker", I will abuse you the rest of your life! Your Dodge is gonna be to bitchen to saddle it with a dog crap name!

6. .., since you are the original "Dog Patch", how about "The Canine Coupe" with some kind of badass dog art work. Might have to give the Child an alias.., "The Dog Catcher", or Pooch's Paddy Wagon". ;)

Tyresmoke likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

What no mushy peas also? :rolleyes:

Tyresmoke likes this.
  8. The Original Dog Patch that's funny. I saw a hot rod shop using that name. We had 7 mutts at one time so this place was the dog patch. Big A has offered his time on the artwork - he's pulling his hair out for sure. Only changed the name 20 times and the paint scheme 10 times. :D

enloe and Tyresmoke like this.
  9. image.jpg
    I'm still keeping with my original vote, seems to be a club theme from way back...

allwilly likes this.
  10. damn who are those people and where's that picture...

and holy crap what's in the bottom left corner of that pic?

11. allwilly

allwilly

A pos Chevy I'm betting

II FUNNY likes this.
  12. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Any goob can build an early Ford or mopar...it takes a little skill to do a Chevy.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  13. THAT Chevy took skills.

c2.jpg

allwilly likes this.
  14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Looks like it.

15. haha....two drunks trying to figure how to get the doors aligned...'it's only wood, just cut it'

volvobrynk, allwilly and Tudor like this.
  16. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice build, would like to build mine to South East Gasser rules someday. Mainly just need a good manual trans, the Hightower trans looks like a great piece.

17. Thanks 55chieftain! Hope to run into you at MD this year - not on the track :D. Quain had a few used transmissions he was going to sell, you want to ping him. Think he had 2 Hightowers and a Jerico.

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I still have a way to go for that, still working out some bugs. It's only an 11 second car right now so I wouldn't be too scared LOL. Plus iv'e been borrowing a car trailer so that might have to come first. I'd like to find one local like the one you got.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't know what the hell happened to my subscription to this thread, I missed about 3 pages of posts.
    Tony, it's your car, name it what you want, but I would avoid "Sticky Sock"!!!!!!!!

20. Finally! Merry Christmas from the machine shop :) Next fun job is to stand in the cold and wash this thing out. At least I'm not in Canada :eek:

392_dec_22a.jpg

allwilly and Tudor like this.
  21. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Merry Christmas Dog_Patch

22. Thanks Dave! Merry Christmas to y'all!

23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Looking good Brother, BTW, I have some shirts for ya. We will need to hook up soon.

24. Looks like Santa likes you better than he likes me.

Hey hey hey, it was 50° up here today. No White Christmas. Fuck Bing Crosby.

25. 50 degrees +FREE healthcare :rolleyes: time to pack up.

Finally getting some headway on the engine. The car is still at the roll cage shop which is ok since I need to use the lift. The 31 has an aluminum 3rd member and 4.86 geared spool. It's now going in the gasser.
    IMG_0436 (Copy).jpg

Then a 3 hour bath session on the block.

IMG_0430 (Copy).jpg IMG_0431 (Copy).jpg

What I found out on during the bath session is that the machine shop blocked all the water flow on 1 side of the block. Long story short, I asked for a 1/2 block fill to add strength in the bottom end end but still flow water. Its filled 1/2 fill but one side doesn't flow anything. I'll be looking for another 392 block for now. Some racers have told me they filled the blocks to the top and whats the worry? Now I'm gonna test that o_O
    IMG_0444 (Copy).jpg

Extra long studs to fit the stud girdle.

IMG_0447 (Copy).jpg

Its a bit loose but that's better than tight.

IMG_0446 (Copy).jpg

Kevs56 likes this.
  26. Shouldn't a short fill fill the bottom of the block, not 1 side? That whole half fill/short fill, cement in your block fill seems weird to me anyway. How much weight gets added?

27. It probably adds 40 lbs - or was only supposed to add - but must have been too much added. The long story - this block sat for 30 years with water in the water jacket. One side was dry, the other side was packed with a flaky rust mess. We dug out as much as we could but, it was probably thin in some spots. So I asked if he could hard block in the lower part of the block only. :( Should have just rolled with it.

This was the day that Ed and Amber went with me up there to the country singer's junk yard to get it - wish it had audio - he sang the whole time.

[​IMG]

Kevs56 and GAOldsman like this.
  28. Rings are gapped, rods are in. The TR Waters main girdle fit like a glove. The pistons work out to 13:1 and are running 43mm top and 2nd ring. You can turn the whole rotating assembly with one hand on the crank flange! My first time using low tension rings.
    IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Mtn Goat, benchseat4speed and Tudor like this.
  29. OahuEli likes this.
  30. allwilly

allwilly

Nice bumps u have there!