Register now to get rid of these ads!

dodge six to T5?? who makes a kit??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Jan 24, 2006.

1. bct

bct

i'm going to use a flat six from a 49 desoto on my plymouth sedan..word has it that there is an adapter to mate a T5 to them....who makes the kit???

2. tragic59

tragic59

Looked like that was all for FORD flattie stuff.

They carry Mopar stuff too?

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'm fairly vertain it was covered in a recent 12 port news from Inliners International.

i'll check up on it when I'm sober

4. I deleted my post because tragic59 was right, my mistake. Sorry.

5. tragic59

tragic59

I've never heard of a kit for this application, but I know the conversion can be made.

Look for how one guy did it here:

http://photo.starblvd.net/DonCoatney?st=album&pg=4

Looks like it would be a good set-up and probably worth the effort. Good luck with it.

6. Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

7. bct

bct

bttt....no luck yet??

8. bct

bct

i saw a large thread here about 6 months ago...can't bring it up in search...any advice oon the flat six dodge crew and who to ask for advice if there is no kit availiable.TIA

9. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

10. junkmonger

junkmonger

You can do it yourself, as per Blueskies' post, or buy one from these guys. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it can be verified with Wilcap. Here's what I found on Inliners.org:

"I called the Wilcap company several weeks ago. Their contact information is: Wilcap Company; Post Office Box 763; Pismo Beach, CA 93448; Tel: (805)481-7639; FAX: (805)343-5000; Email: [email protected].

They have an adapter kit to put a T-5 Borg Warner five speed, or, for that matter,
    any manual chevy transmission behind a flat head 6 cylinder Mopar. The kit # is 230-350 MT. The “MT” stands for “manual transmission.” The kit consists of an adapter plate which goes between the engine and the bellhousing and a flywheel. You use the Chevy bellhousing. It works with any Chevy standard transmission and a 10½” Chevy pressure plate. The hole for the starter can be placed either low on the driver or passenger’s side. It cannot go up high. The kit weighs about 50 lbs. and the shipping cost is about $50, maybe a little less.

He said that they do not keep these kits in stock but rather the adapter and the
    flywheel are custom made when the order is placed. The turnaround time on an order
    is about three weeks. I don't remember the exact cost but believe it is something between $600 and $700."

11. bct

bct

thanks to all i got it now

12. Al Martin

Al Martin

Hi bct, Grenade Inspector.

How is your T5 implant going.
    I got a 1950 Plym 4dr P20 218. 3 speed man.
    Want to put a T5 on it to.
    Did you have the same problems Don hade or was it simpler on your engine?
    Is that allso a 218?

Please E-mail me: [email protected]
    Yours Al Martin

13. im so happy wilcap makes an adaper now how much do they want for it do i have to sell a testical to sience fo it

14. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

I thought Stovebolts makes a kit to adapt a T5 to a flathead mopar? Does anybody have any experience with this kit?

15. When I talked to Tom, he told me that his kit is for the truck bellhousing only. I don't really know why. I asked him about using my flywheel and pressure plate ('54 Plymouth) he said they will work. I ended up following Don Coatney's way, with very little deviation.
    In answer to a question above- the 218 is different, though only slightly, from the DeSoto, at the rear (the DeSoto crank is longer) They share bellhousing bolt patterns.

16. Bugman

Bugman

The only reason I'm not running a T5 yet is that it doesn't jive with my column shift, and I don't want to to a floor shift.

17. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

Iff you do figure out a way to make that work , let me know about it !
    (don't want to go to a floor shift myself)

Do you guy's still run the oridginal rearend with 4.11 gears ?

What will the "new" comfortable cruising speed be with a T5 ?

thanks !

18. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

Does anybody know what year dodge truck bellhousing for the Stovebolt adaptor and what t-5 (mustang, camaro, S-10) did Stovebolts say would work best? Thanks guys Dan

19. the chevy trans to bellhousing bolt pattern is what you're looking for- S10 or Camaro are the most common. Don't know what all years of trucks. I do know that a bunch of those trucks had the pedal mounts and master cylinder mount as part of it. Not really good for a car application. That's why I copied Don Coatney's way.