Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doane Spencer book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtolarry, Dec 6, 2012.

1. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I have tried to read the threads pertaining to Doane Spencer. I am fascinated about this very talented person. .Has anyone thought about an article in one of the car mags of maybe a book about his life.I know I would buy it, and I an only imagine the stories that would be told.

2. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

I would most certainly buy the book.He's one of my heros. I have a good friend in SoCal who knew him well. Everything you've heard is true. You know it's funny last night there were two really good threads concerning Doane and his work, today I can only find the one. Tried the search many times. When he died he was working on an updated version of his famous '55 Bird and someone finished it after his passing. Effing gorgeous! Saw the pictures last night, can't find them today. Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread but , always interested in anything pertaing to Doane.

3. octard

octard
    from USA

Hello Larry,

In case you didn't find this in one of my other post yesterday, here is a PDF copy of the Vintage Motorsport article on the pairing of Doane Spencer and Jim Adams. This article entitled "Flawless & Fast," appeared in the July-August, 2012, issue of Vintage Motorsport.

http://www.impeccableinc.com/media....pdf

Again, many thanks to all those that helped to provide the detail and photos for this story, and to Vintage Motorsport for allowing me to share the effort.

I too would love to see a book dedicated to Doane Spencer... Heck, I'd like to write the story myself, but it would have to come after another effort that I'm presently working on.

-Chad

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Many thanks for sharing about one of my heros also. I will read the article. I talked to Mr. Spencer on the phone once about a 56 t bird I was building. He was very knowledgable and very patient. My notes got damagged in a hurricane that came through a few years back but I will always remember the time he took with me even though he was trying to get a car ready for Indy. He even gave me advice on a guy that could grind a cam for the Y block I was building. He told to use his name as a refrence i did and the guy was really helpful but I had to tell him how a guy from Texas new Mr. Spencer from California.