Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngocdong2001

ngocdong2001
    from Vietnam

hi sudzhis, you got bad result on spray gun because of low volume of chemical spray out. You should adjust the gun so that more volume of chemical can come out at time. The best spray gun is HVLP (High volume low pressure type).

2. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi! Thanks for Yours ideas!

Yes, i think about it! for start I use 0.5 nozzles and result was bad, than I use 1.0 nozzles- thats same, now I try 1.5 nozzles and thats same! For now chemicals is spraying out like from kitchen water tap :D

I will try to make some experiments with liquid regulations today!

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

its not so much better, when done properly Innate Chrome Paint is only second to a well done Spray on chrome, BUT I have had a few not so well done spray on chrome pieces(all is in the prep) and in this case the chrome paint comes on top. and in a perfect world this cant hapen, but it does...

how hard is chrome paint? compared to Spray on chrome? its childs play. Spray on chrome can be such a complex process I am now thinking on using chrome paint instead..

while its not easy there is only 3 steps to the process. perfect basecoat(same as Spray on chrome) Chrome Painting coats(same as Silvering but Much much simpler as there is not chemicals/wetting agents need it) and then Clear coat(comes with the Innate Chrome paint, its a clear made for chrome paint, it wont dull the chrome effect).. and thats it..thats all to it, no yellowish tone, no tinted clear coats no tarnishing afterwards.. its just much much simpler, while its not easy but its not as complex.

oh and the helmet piece was already clearcoat it on the vids and pics..

Edit.
    one thing I am not to happy about one of the best chrome paint(Innate chrome paint) is that while is a less expencive than Alsa Chrome, both lack the coverage spray on chrome can give you, so it will be more expencive than Spray on chrome. that is if you build your own Spray On Chrome system. but if you are using Spectra or Alsa Spray on chrome? then no. Chrome paint its less expencive than those brand system

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

And These companies usually sell their dual spray guns at hugely over inflated prices :eek:
    Much better to go direct to the gun manufacturer ;)

5. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Ou Yess, price is 2x or even 3x more!

6. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!

Yesterday make LOT of experiments again! My double nozzle spray gun is dead or chemicals dont want to work with it! I use two spray bottles! My hands is not happy :D

There is some pictures

Petrol tank is bad, today redo it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there is video, before clear coat, BUT, after clear coat isnt almost any difference! I use 100g good clear coat + 10 drops blue tint and 3 drops red tint! works good

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0lCW2YGtTOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

nice. I love it, take pics of the finished tank on the Bike and place them here ok. thanks

8. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thank you guys for all this information

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

for you that are concern with pressured air and impurities, you can also use profecional grade clean compressed air. no need for ultra expencive air and humidity filters..

10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

some updates guys..

after many months my gold tone chromed spoon has failed on me. I believe this to be caused by not enough silver.. as the rest of my spoons are just fine.

gone bad Gold tone spoon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Green Chrome spoon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

green chrome spoon...Flexible..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6FJCpt1vESA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

so far out of all my past clients only one have had issues with the chrome. the rest are doing just fine.

11. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi Nicamarvin!
    Pictures with petrol tank I will attach later!
    What i decided!
    1. If u spray clear coat (tinted) on silvered part just once and really wet coating than yellowing is just a little or nothing!
    2. If u spray like spray normal clear coat- little by little- result is yellow or blue or violet.
    3. AND i know what make silver yellow it is not lacquer (clear coat) but it is thinner! Just try on freshly silvered piece spray on clear coat thinner- one moment and color is yellow! In hardener and lacquer is inside thinner to!

Does someone tryed water based clear coats? I think it is the answer!!!

12. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Nicamarvin I will not have images with petrol tank on bike! I dont know even bike owner i just have a petrol tank to silver it :)

Petrol tank is bad again!

1. There is not yellow or blue but green clear coat :) To much blue tint :(
    2. There is foggy in some places under silver - my fault
    3. In some places (a little) is sensitizer marks

There is pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes in 80% petrol tank is good!

1. it is to hard to spray this tank just with hand sprayer! I need 2x spray gun
    2. I dont use wetting agent, and my sensitizer works good, but in some places is some dots
    3, Yes I will try again haha

Something for Hotrodders- There is another project- some owner Ford Torino GT 1972 restoration! 95% done! :) Before car was rust and plastic masters hill :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

hmm, seems there is bigger silent than in church!

Do someone try water based clear coats on silvered piece? If yes, what about result?

thanks

14. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

dont worry---i read every update

15. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Still need information about water based clear coat or ceramic, Chrystal clear coats! Do someone try them?

16. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

No knowledge of waterbased clear coats im afraid sudzhis

Had another dabble with the AG gear today tried 2 different things today.
    This was

Spraying wetting agent mixed 10-1 with distilled water

Spraying sensitizer with air spray gun instead of pump gun

I found this worked quite well for the stuff im spraying
    I want to try spraying everything out of air spray guns next :cool:

17. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

U mix wetting agent like 10g wetting agent and 1g water? Its like a oil than! Do u rub wetting agent with some sponge or just leave it?

I think there is no difference with air spray gun or pump gun! If i have smaller piece to silver i better use pump gun (if i understand right pump gun is hand sprayer).

Do u always wash part with dish washing liquid before silvering?

18. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Do soemone try this trick? Watch from 0:50! They torch the part with propane gas :eek:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nD6wVskLAsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Its like oil then!:D sorry I meant 1 part wetting agent 9 parts distilled water.

Have tried rubbing wetting agent and spraying both work but spraying is easier for the stuff im spraying.

I was getting a problem with the edges and thin sides of some brackets I have been playing with.
    The problem was the sensitizer coverage which was being sprayed through a pump gun.
    I tried a normal air gun with sensitizer and the end result was better I put this down to full coverage of sensitizer.
    When spraying clear sensitizer it is difficult to see if you have totally covered the piece, with an air gun you can control how the sensitizer comes out and insure full coverage.
    I have one proper double pump gun for the silvering and as Nicamarvin has pointed out its all in the prep as long as the prep is done properly the silver will go on properly.
    I always degrease the piece before silvering my next procedure im going to try is

Degrease - Air Gun
    Rinse
    Wetting agent - Air gun
    Rinse
    Sensitize - Air gun
    Rinse
    Silver - dual pump gun
    Rinse
    Dry
    Topcoat

My thinking is using air guns for all prep work will result in better prep thus a better finished product.
    I accept oil can be an issue for chrome spray but I have a clean air supply and oil is rarely an issue with conventenal spraying.
    Will test this out and post results.

20. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Maybe this is to ensure all the remaining moisture is gone?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  21. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

My AG sensitizer is going bad its going yellow :mad:
    It still worked yesterday though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  22. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

If it is yellow- it is gone! :( Silver is really easy to rub off!

About all silvering guns etc I will write some questions later!

23. chrisp

chrisp

Exactly what I was thinking, especially when the wheather is cold.

24. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Yes, and fire make all color more glossy, like plastic! I will try it on urethane! And maybe fire kill all oil, etc

25. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Essex Iron explain what do u mean with "air gun" and "pump gun"??? English is not my native language :)

And yess, maybe in Monday my double nozzle spray gun arrive! Cant wait to try it!

26. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

27. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

I just call this pump gun- hand spray gun :)

Today I tryed this trick with fire! It works strange, but i dont know still good or not

Maybe tomorrow I will make some more experiments with some bigger parts!

28. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Awesome! I think this will work well

1, Maybe It will dispell all remaining moisture?

2, Maybe a warm part would chrome better?

29. chrisp

chrisp

I remember when I first started working on cars and they had black plastic colored bumpers before painting them for people who wanted them body color, the painter was torching them to burn all the release agent residues.
    I must be getting old I completly forgot about that:(

30. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Today i tryed fire in some helmet which i was painted some time ago! I burn one side and other left without fire! Awesome - side without fire just reject water, but other side was like after wetting agent! It stuff works...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.