Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

now the contenders first Face OFF.. :cool:

[​IMG]

Stain Magic dual Chamber bottle(the underdog contender to the championship)
    [​IMG]

I'm rooting for the Underdog... :)

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

here are a few more pics..

Alsa ChromeFX Pump Kit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

off the shelf counterpart

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I´ll be providing further details at a later time guys, right know I am super bussy...:eek:

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

4. I'm interested to see where you're going with this. Might be good for small interior stuff at least.

5. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

6. Deuces

Deuces

Sweeeeeeeet! :D Thanks! :)

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

things you will need...

a Pump Sprayer(to rinse the pieces thru the entire process)
    [​IMG]

a Hair Blower(so you can blow dry the piece after the silvering)
    [​IMG]

the Alsa Chrome FX pum kit comes with preasure paint sprayers so you can spray their base coat and clear coat(can only use it one time)
    [​IMG]

but I will not be using it, I will use a small spray paint gun with a small compressor(for small parts that need to be base coated and clear coat it, no need for a compressor in this spray on chrome kits)
    [​IMG]

now you may want to use Krylon fusion for plastics, I have used it in my plastic spoons and it works like no other(the paint just wont come off no matter what, and you only need 1 mist coat that´s all)

[​IMG]

8. scrubba

scrubba

I'm assuming of course that the Krylon is applied UNDER the Spray on Chrome . like "Alclad" of course .................. scrubba

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

NO... the Krylon fusion platic paint will be under the glossy black base coat... ;)

10. customcory

customcory

nicamarvin, enjoying this thread a lot!

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I also got a sampler of the NEW "Stretch Chrome" film by Alsa. I´ll be testing it out..keep posted...:cool:

12. Like a primer

13. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Correct..

Guys I have bad news... I did a sampler of both products just so I get to know them before the big show down.. the samples were done in my favorite testing piece! the "Plastic" spoons....

but guess whats the bad news? alsa sent me the wrong chemicals and they labeled them wrong(I had to use my nose, yeah I know its not a good way to do it).. and I did´nt find out untill I had used the chemicals, they were just not reacting and when placed together in a single jar(so they could react) they didn´t react at all, heck I did one experiment using the silver nitrate chemical using tap water to test for chloride Ions(found on all tap water as they have chlorine added to the water) you can read more about this test here http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/misc/silber.htm

well I did the same test on all chemicals and none tested positive

so, for now(I´ll try to contact them to see what´s up, but I am not holding my breath on returns to NICARAGUA) I´ll will not be able to test the Alsa "Spray On Chrome" FX pump chemicals...

I did test for the angel gilding chemicals and so far they are doing just fine..

Pics will folow soon... :(

14. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Silvered Spoons using Angel Gilding chemicals(so far their sensitizer seem to be their weak link, I´ll explain later)

the spoons have been cleared with a water based sealer for temporary protection(will later use 2k Clear coat)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, those look good.

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

They do look good, even after cleared, but I have nothing else to tested against, its a shame I not could test Alsa(I already contacted them, waiting on response) I am really bummed out.. :(

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well I got back from them.. :) they will send me a nother package, but it will take another month to test it out, so far I have test their clear with AngelGilding chemicals and Oh boy... its amazing, I thought I had that issue clear out(pun intended) well I guess I´ll try to make something similar using their clear as example..

I got some more pics and a very short video coming your way...:cool:

18. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4vEEnn4Nxpk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

hey guys seems like the folks at Angelgilding(I am a happy customer so far) are now selling dual chambered hand triger sprayers also, this was not the case a while ago when I was building my small DIY Spray On chrome system in january.. its a bummer because I could have seaved a dollar on the bottles and $13 on shipping... :lol:

here is their sprayers..
    [​IMG]

20. Vintage_Iron

Vintage_Iron
    from Maryland

Has anyone here tried Eastwoods Liquid Chrome?

21. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

22. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

not me, but by the look of it its just chrome paint..
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v97U3fQnmzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will be testing Innate Chrome Paint soon also..
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4r97OR8H-OA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

23. scrubba

scrubba

Damn , looking at this topic to me is as good as the Vintage shots of Days Gone by ! I love this place !!!!!!!!! scrubba

24. skipperman

skipperman

I'm in ... VERY interesting ...............................

....... jersey Skip

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well guys I graduated from Plastic spoons to motorbike plastic parts... :lol:

here is a Motorbike Headlight cover before the "Spray On Chrome"(using Angel Gilding chemicals and wetting agent which helped me alot)

Plastic Headlight cover(prep using Krylong Fusion as glue for the base coat, what you see here is the system ready for the chrome. so it has the basecoat), keep in mind that if you start with a mirror like basecoat you will end up with on, but if your basecoat its dull and scratch.. you will end up with a dull scratchy mirror..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now with the Spray On Silver(I will upload a video of the pumping process)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is Short video of the Drying process(will upload the longer one soon)
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kmd_LLVliMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope you guys have enjoyed my small tutorials..

thanks

Marvin

26. The issue is with a clearcoat to seal the silvering... If any oxygen gets to the silver, from the front or back, it will tarnish, even yellow... Spectra Chrome puts a light purple candy in their clear to look more like chrome, but it's not enough to overcome the yellow tinge that happens a year (or less) down the road.

If you overcome the oxygen getting to the silver, and you tint it, you've got this process perfected. Also, if you figure out a clear coating that withstand some high temps... Whoo hoo!!!

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

True... Thanks to Alsa(Chrome Fx Pump) system I have access to their tinted clear coat and I have copied the right purple tone.. :D the clear I will use is automotive grade 2k Urethane clear, I will post pics of that headlight cover in a few months from now...

28. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I am wondering, how would this process hold up for a headlight reflector? Could it withstand the heat? Can this even be sprayed over a silver plated reflector or would all the silver have to be stripped so the brass is exposed? Would the brass have to top coated with a base color?

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Another thought, even if you have a reflector resilvered I've read the silver will tarnish. Do you think the 2K urethan clear could seal the silver plating. My concerns would be, again, the heat and second, I think the urethane would need something to bite into, I think the actual silver plating would be too hard for the urethane to bite into.

30. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

if you already have a silver plated reflector a 2k Urethane its all you need. you see silver its different from chrome, you can clear over it without any issues, now I´ve been told that 2k urethane clears can withstand up to 300 degrees.. but don´t take my word for it..

you can´t spray on silver ontop of already silvered part. you would need to start all over again(basecoat/silver/topcoat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.