Register now to get rid of these ads!

Distributor mod for Ford 215 & 223

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by forty1fordpickup, Oct 30, 2012.

1. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

After trying to get a decent tune from an LOM dizzy and dual carb set up with out success. I decided to replace the LOM with a unit for a '72 Ford 240"/300" six. I am running the 6 volt pos ground electrical system so stayed with points. Later units will get you the Dura-spark ignition. The drive end of these is very similar to the '53 LOM. The benefit I was looking for is centrifugal and vacuum advance systems. The '72 240"/300" units have them. If you are at a rebuild on a 215" or '54 223" replace the tang and slot oil pump with a 1/4" hex drive oil pump for the '55 thru '59 223" The conversion is much easier, only requires 1/4" to 5/16" hex shaft adaptor. If you are dealing with a built 215" that you don't want to open up, this is how it can be done.

Here are both units in stock configuration
    LOM (12 tooth gear)
    [​IMG]
    240"/300" (15 tooth gear)
    [​IMG]
    Both gears are removed.
    LOM
    [​IMG]
    240"/300"
    [​IMG]
    The next step is to cut the shaft of the 240"/300" unit to the same length as the LOM unit. Since I don't have milling machine an abrasive cut off wheel on a grinder did the job. I also used the same wheel to cut he slot in the end of the shortened shaft.
    [​IMG]

The bore on the 12 tooth drive gear must then be drilled out to 17/32". The drive gear was installed on reworked shaft. Drilled a new 1/8" retainer pin hole for the gear lock. Job done.

[​IMG]
    It has made a world of difference in the way this car runs.

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

3. Good tech! I am also interested in this same swap for the later 223/262 engines.
    What is this hex shaft adapter you speak of....and where do you find one?

4. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Totally awesome, I'm now on the hunt for one for my 223, with the dual carbs the LOM doesn't work the best. According to the parts book, the distributor for the 240/300 is the same from 65-77, or at least is a points style. A later one can be used if you want to use the Duraspark system.

About the hex shaft issue, from what I read on other sites the 223 shaft is 1/4" and the 300 is 5/16", so you use a 300 shaft and grind the oil pump end down to 1/4" FYI this is the shaft that goes between the dizy and the oil pump.

Thank you very much forty1fordpickup!

5. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Check out the hex tools that Craftsman has. There is a socket set for hex fasteners. These are basically a 3/8" drive socket to 5/16" hex. Use that 1/4" hex adaptor. You get a piece that is 5/16" on one end and 1/4" on the other. The remaining question is the length. Some one with a 223 should be able to measure it up and post here.
    A source for the distributor is Advance Auto parts. I searched for '72 F100 300". It will be a Cardone rebuilt unit. There is a side benefit, the points, condenser and cap are the same as the LOM. The only expendable that is different is the rotor.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. 64u

64u
    from california

For the late 223 I use a 1964 oil pump that has a 5/16 hex drive. You can get a new 74-85 Dura-spark distributor on e-bay for $48.00. I use a msd 6al ignition or you can use the stock Dura-spark module. The stock 64 drive shaft will work or you can cut a 5/16 hex key to fit. The 223 drive gear needs to be reamed to .530 "300 six size." The 223 gear pin hole will line up on the the 300 distributor, The MSD idles better when cold and revs to the moon. My modified 223 revs to 7000 with this set up and doesn't miss a beat. Hope this helps.

7. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

I found a Cardone unit on rockauto for 50 bucks. The only thing I'm questioning is that it says it has "dual vacuum."

There is also an option for a "single vacuum" setup, but it is a little bit more expensive. Is there a difference?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. stacks1938

stacks1938

Hello All, I put together a package of parts to replace the LOM distributor on my 223. It consists of a rebuilt distributor for a 72 Ford pickup with the 240 ci engine ($40 at AutoZone), a new 12 tooth distributor gear ($16 at Mac's), a 5/16 allen wrench, a 1/4 drill drive for 5/16 bolts, a new rotor, and a larger washer to secure the new distributor to the engine block. I took the gear and distributor to a machine shop where they bored out the gear and put it on the distributor shaft. He also welded the 1/4 drill drive to the allen wrench ($45). So, today I went out to install my new distributor and shaft BUT I could not get the old oil pump shaft out of the block. It appears that there is a locking spring washer on the shaft that keeps you from pulling it out. It appears that I will have to take the oil pan off to free up the shaft. Bummer! The idea of modifying the new distributor shaft to accept the old oil pump shaft is a possibility but the machine shop cut off the excess material on the new gear. I suppose it could still be done but would require some more machine shop work.

So, that is my story of woe. Can anyone tell me if I can forcefully remove the oil pump shaft using vice grips? I am sure the spring clip would fall into the oil pan but I think it would be ok there. Any input on this is appreciated.

9. great tech! we need some pictures!

10. stacks1938

stacks1938

Here are a few pics of my project distributor ...
    lom 001.JPG lom 002.JPG lom 003.JPG

Attached Files:

11. jwallace59

jwallace59

If you are buying the 1/4" drive oil pump, it's name is a Mellings M43

12. Mac's still lists the gear, but it's been out of stock for years.
    Anybody else got it?

Truck64 likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have a valid Ford part # for it, had good luck searching obscure & hard to find parts that way. If not, not.