Register now to get rid of these ads!

Different vin number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lepsyl, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Lepsyl

Lepsyl
    from Sverige

Im interested in buying a dodge charger that is imported from texas to sweden.

The problem is that the car has vin: XP29G8B250340

And the number on the title is: XP29G8B2503740

Notice that there is a (7) as the last third digit in the title but dosent exist in the vin on the car.

The vin on the car is 13 digits and 14 on the title and i have spoken to some mopar guys and they said that its supposed to be 13 as the car.

They thins is why is there a extra number there?

The title is last changed in 1998/20/05, can there a been a failiure there?

In sweden its impossible if the numbers dont match so i would need a older title paper were the number should be right.

Is there any posibility to gett ahold of an older title paper or anything like it?

Do anyone have any solution or ideas?

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd get some documentation about the number of digits in the VIN for that year and then try to get someone with common sense in your DMV. Swedes do make typos...don't they? You'll have to go to a supervisor I'm sure but this has surely happened before and there must be a way to deal with it.

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If still in Texas, the title can be coreected with the right form and an inspection by a law enforcement officer. It's very easy to do. They will require a pencil tracing, or impression of the vin tag, also.

Ask the current owner to have that done before you buy, or find another car.

4. Lepsyl

Lepsyl
    from Sverige

The problem is that when i will come to were we register the car they will se that the numbers dosent match and then its a nightmare to convince them its the right car.

So if i send a copy of the titel and a picture of the vin number on the car to texas they will fix it?

5. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Really no big deal,if the car is still in the country,title mix up happens like all the time,just contact the DMV that the car is titled in.They will track down the old paper work on the car,and ether they will send somebody out to verifi the vin or you set up a appointment.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If the car is now in Sweden let the current owner fix the paperwork or PASS ! In any case let whoever has the car now get the paperwork fixed.

7. Lepsyl

Lepsyl
    from Sverige

Mopar jack: the car is in sweden and not in texas anymore if that was what you meant.

Johnevans: the curret owner has no interest in fixing the paperwork and only want to sell as it sits now despite he dident mention thenumbers dont match.

How do you contact the dmv of texas?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...the current owner has no interest in fixing the paperwork and only want to sell as it sits now despite he dident mention thenumbers dont match..."

I think the correct English term for this is BUYING TROUBLE.

Fixing the problem in Texas will likely require the person who previously owned the thing in Texas and having the number on car examined by someone from DMV or state police there...

I think best first step would be to write down all you have said here, if possible with tracing/rubbing of actual car number, take it to Swedish authorities, and ask to talk to someone who can give you authoritative advice on whether there is any way to fix this in Sweden. I think you may well find the car has to go back to Texas and start over once repaired legally...
    The mistake is obvious and reasonable, but who knows if your bureaucracy can act reasonably or only by letter of the law...most here sure can't!
    And DO ask them about the legal position of the seller, who is clearly selling a car with no proper title. A bit of legal heat might persuade him that he needs to make some phone calls to the last Texas owner who sold him the thing. If the Swedish authorities wish to look at the letter of the law, he is selling a car with a title that does not technically belong to that car.

It is hindsight, but this would probably have been easy to fix when sold in Texas, and it is now an absolute nightmare unless Sweden is willing to fix mistakes made elsewhere.

9. Lepsyl

Lepsyl
    from Sverige

Thanks for the answer!

I have emailed the DMV of texas and said the numbers and the problem and askt if it could be a misstake or anything like that and if it was possible to fix.

At "svensk bilprovning" is its called here were we register our cars the is no tolerans for numbers that dosent match.
    They will say that i cant tell if the car is whats is said to be by th papers an that i have to have convincing facts that its the car.
    Like the DMV says theres been a misstake and the real is the same as the one on the car and sends a new title that i can show.

Othewise it will neve be aproved and can never be driven on swedish rodes.

There is one other option.... i could remove the vin number on the dash and put the one from the paper in instead. this would probobly work and never be detected but its illegal and a froud and i dont really like it buts its one way to do it.

10. AG F/C

AG F/C

I would call a local DMV service in Texas and ask if they can do a VIN verification. Explain your situation. They will know the standard VIN format for that model and year. A very easy to fix and common problem in the states. Can be done possibly at the time of the purchase.

If the seller is not responsive to your request, find another one to buy as the guy is an asshole trying to hide something.

11. Lepsyl

Lepsyl
    from Sverige

But do you think its possible to do anything when its alredy in sweden? i mean what i need to do is change a number on a car that dosent exist there anymore and then gett a paper that says that it changed and then show it here in swede to prove that its the real car, or more exaktly the right title to the car.

The seller wouldent even drop the price when i discovered that the numbers dont match. he just said he had more interested buyers.
    His add says he have a title but really he dosent? or am i wrong?
    He havent even added to hi add that it dosent match after i saw it when i looked at the car.

12. xix32

xix32

this kind of crap is becoming common with our dmv government employees here in il-annoy.
    a few years ago, i sold a `55 chevy convertible that i had owned for 28 years with a good clean correct title. the poor guy i sold it to gets the transfered title back from the state with "nothing" in the space where the body style should be and the vin # wrong.
    now how is he going to get that fixed ?
    and we pay them to do this to us !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  13. Weasel

Weasel

Either the seller fixes the problem - as he will have the same problem with every buyer, or look for another car plain and simple. Do not get yourself into a mess - it's his problem - not yours....

14. Ahh, but Dodge Chargers don't grow on trees in Sweden. They don't really grow on them here in the states anymore either, for that matter. I'd see if I could get the paperwork resolved before giving up on it and don't let these fraidy-cats scare you off.

15. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

First, don't buy it if you don't think you can get the title fixed.
    Second, and more important, don't change the vin tag. You'll be trading the current problem for others when you sell it or get caught fudging the vin.

Getting the title corrected shouldn't be that big of a deal. ideally the seller should take care of it. Others have told you how to fix it in Texas. I suspect there's a way to fix it in Sweden as I'm sure they make mistakes too. The most difficult part is finding the right person that knows how to fix the problem.

You need to decide if it's worth the hassle to get the title fixed or if you'd rather just wait for a different car.

I have a buddy that works at a car dealership here in Illinois. When he paid off his car he found out the lending agency had screwed something up when he bought the car. They refused to fix it. He got the run around from the secretary of state (DMV). He talked to a manager where he worked. The manager said they worked with an independent guy who did nothing but fix messed up titles. He called the title guy. The guy gave him the name of the person at the secretary of states office and gave him her phone extension. A simple 3 minute phone call and the problem was fixed. I suspect every DMV has a person that takes care of such problems. Even in Sweden. The trick is finding who that person is.

16. AG F/C

AG F/C

Have you turned in a discontinuance of status here in the US? If not it is still possible to have the car VIN verified legally. A notary can document the existing physical vin and our DMV can correct the US title..... I suggest calling a DMV service and asking these questions.

17. Lepsyl

Lepsyl
    from Sverige

Big thanks for all answers but the car seems to be sold now.

Maby that was the best solutin for me :p

To bad i dont live in the US so i wouldent have these problems.

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Buyers who sell cars with incorrect paperwork are buyers who are, quite simply, criminals who haven't been caught yet.
    I'd bet that the paperwork he had, title etc., was not in his name either.

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I wonder if you could use a trusted reference book to show the Swedish DMV that the number simply has too many digits. Except for the having of that one extra digit the numbers match exactly. Most people can see that the numbers actually do match. Just for some reason the thing has an extra one. It may be in the end the best thing to get a certified authority, maybe an appraiser from a Mopar club in Sweden to verify in fact that the number is correct except for the added 7.

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a '46 Chevy 1/2T a couple of years ago and the s/n on the title had two of the numbers transposed from the data plate number. I took the data plate, title and the rest of my documentation I received with the truck, to the local DMV and they made the change for me. I figured it was going to be a real hassle, but it was easy........and that's in New York State go figure!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car will probably be up for sale in a couple of months if the new buyer can't get the paperwork straightened out.

You may have missed out on the car this time around but you probably saved yourself a ton of headaches in the long run. And that number issue was probably something that could have been straightened out in Texas with a visit to the dmv and a tracing/closeup photo of the vin tag.

Hell, my last name is spelled wrong on the title 0n my 48 from when I moved back to Washington in 1977 and the clerk at the courthouse added a letter to my name as the other spelling is more common then the way mine is spelled.

You jumped though all the flaming hoops and did your homework just like you should have and I commend you for that. Usually it's the guy who just laid out his life savings for a car and can't get the title squared away that we hear from.