Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did Ford make an A Model 3W Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andydodge, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Shookie

Shookie

SORRY, everyone, but they did make a 3 window coupe. There was an article
    about the car in our National Magazine.

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

SAME license plate on the one above near the top!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. The only Model C engine that Ford built was the one he made in 1903. The Model A was replaced by the Model B in 1932. When the 1933 four cylinder was introduced the public logically called it the Model C but Ford never did. Very late in 1932 Ford added counterweights to the four cylinder and since this was about the time of the change to the 1933 Models the four cylinder with the counterweighted crank is commonly (although incorrectly) called a Model C engine. Ford continued to identify it as a Model B. You should also check out http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/modelcmyth.htm

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  4. bhurlin

bhurlin
    from Texas

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I had never seen a 3 window A. I like the slant windshield version but I would like it better with suicide doors. Also correct as I understand it the '33 four cylinder was never identified as a model C by Fo Mo Co.

6. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

It looks to me that the slant windshield version might have used a Victoria door, notice how close the rumble seat is to the back of the cab. The confusion will continue on the Model C till the earth quits turning. I'm 72 and growing up people my dad's age called them C's, the cylinder head had a large letter C cast near the distributor and they also referred to the crank with forged counterweights as a "C" crank. Imagine in 1928 if Ford offered the C engine and the car had hydraulic brakes, oh yeh, while I'm at it how about a '39 trans? Maybe a 4" axle? Nowdays we can build our dreams.

7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Good damn catch!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. And then there are the 40 ford roadsters built in Australia................where does the insanity end.

9. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I'm a detail FREAK! That's why I USED TO BE a magazine guy- LOL! When will this CRAPPY year end so we can get going again??? :)

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Brother I don't know but may it be soon or else I may go crazy.:D

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That reminds me of a story from a local old timer. His aunt always was asking him to come and get the "A model coupe" in the barn. He was into the V8s and was not interested. This was in the 60s when model As were cheap. Finally she told him that her dad parked it in the garage during the war because the V8 used too much gas. The "A model" turned out to be a very nice Deuce 3w V8 coupe. He got it and restored it.

12. The original question is just too simple. It should have included the word either "production" or "prototype" in the question.
    As posted the answer is both YES and NO.

13. C9 was saying the two black cars were the same. Originally C9 posted the pics and I provided the information from the Cuesta Crankers Model A Club. I still have the newsletter with the information, and the picture of the same 3w coupe.

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  14. flatout51

flatout51

The shiny black one looks like a photoshop... the rear of the top apears to be a different black like blacker.... ha! and the lines on the building in the back window doesnt line up with the lines above the roof...

15. Niklas

Niklas

this is my -31 3w coupe

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Are you aware of the unwritten rules of the HAMB?

I post a few of them, and you better memories them, so we can keep them on written;

Pics or it never happened!!
    1 pic is just teasing!

And say ta-da, I got one", that's gloting/ being smug, also not gods!!!

The last few lines could (most likely) contain ironi, and you must have some sense of humor to get the full pleasure of it.

Now spill the beans tell all! And for the love of God: more pictures!!!

In the words of a famous HAMBer;
    Patiently waiting for pictures

17. Niklas

Niklas

Well i live in finland and my english is very very bad but i can send few photos

Attached Files:

brEad, DylanHill1931 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

@Nicklas your English ain't that bad!!

I got every word so fare!!

That's a very nice car!
    What is the story on it?
    Did you build it?

19. Niklas

Niklas

i haven`t done anything on that car yet. Car came somewhere usa to finland in 2009. I found car when i was dyno testing my street car engine in local speed shop, Shop owner said to me that he is selling his ford hot rod project, Car wass sold same second when i see it first time.
    I think i sell this car and buy 5w coupe and make it my own style car..

I haven`t see any 3w coupe except this one so i think it isnt`t very clever to chop this one
    Ps. Sory for the typos

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  20. JimSibley

JimSibley

Here's mine, roof is removable. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437929422.704546.jpg

brEad and catdad49 like this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey, that's pretty cool. Did the last owner know anything about where it came from?
    That is a good looking car.

Do you have any idea of what the body look like under the paint?
    Did it come on that frame?

If you put it up for sale, please put it up on the HAMB too. !

There are some HAMBers near you, or at least closer to you, if you'd want some help in the art of finding out what you got.

Try @Kvipt, @superflye, there is a third one who's name escapes me.
    They are very well connected, and Very skilled builders. Might be able to help you in mor ways then one.
    One of them are connected to kustomrama, mostly about Kustoms, but also a fair amount of hot rods!!

Is that the fruit of one day's labor, you and you're tools make Lucky Luke look like and old retired fart!!! And he haven't age a day since I read my first comic!

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I noticed that the '31 models had slanted windshields like some 4-dr models had, yet the '30 windshield appears to be vertical like regular Model A's were. Seems as though Edsel always had neat stuff.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an obvious difference in your coupe and the other 3-w photos. The distance on the quarter panel between fender and rear of door is much longer than the other examples. And, what about that "rain gutter" ? Is this a Finnish make or a phantom ? The deck is also a very weird size. I tink ya pull our legs, no ?

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, that cowl appears extremely long. Are you trying to pull something over on us HAMBER'S ?

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really strange. The first pic shows 19" wheels/hubcaps. The second and third pics show 21" wheels/hubcaps. Did '30-'31 Model A's have 21" wheels ?

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like that '31 with the slanted windshield/no visor.

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '30 two-tone with 21" wheels also has '28-'29 headlight buckets. I am very confused.

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Maybe it's not a true Ford made 3 window, but I like it.
    And since the Tudors and Fordors was build in Europe, they are a little different then U.S. build, and coupes was normally imported, but it could be a coach build.
    in Denmark, a coach build Model A or Sedans delivery was commissioned by Ford Motor Company Copenhagen, and is therefore partly a factory build special, to FOMOCO specs. But I could have been done by Noerrebro coach build, or any there off, they was commissioned like Briggs.
    Maybe it came from Denmark?

Is there any chance this isn't build in the U.S.? Any markings on the body?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  29. JimSibley

JimSibley

Nope, it's made from
    A 29 ford,Murray cabriolet. The rear quarters have an added body line, but everything else except the top is all stock sheet metal. The top was made from scratch.

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since they are on 30-31 style coupes (according to the cowl) I would say Ford was not contemplating them for "A"s but rather starting to work a bit on the Model "B" design????

lothiandon1940 likes this.