Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dial Type Fuel Pressure Regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marodder62, Sep 6, 2012.

1. marodder62

marodder62

I'm looking for thoughts on the best way to mount a dial type fuel pressure regulator using a mechanical fuel pump. Will mounting it to the front of the block create too much heat?

2. Mount in line on the front if necessary but in a spot where you can easily get to it to adjust it. Should be enough air going by it with the fan to avoid any heat issues.

3. Why are you installing a regulator with a "mechanical" pump?

4. Larry T

Larry T

I've run pressure regulators on mechanical pumps before. If you check the fuel pressure some of them put out (quality control??), you might be suprised.

That being said, I haven't had much luck with dial type regulators. I've seen more than one with gas spewing out of them.

5. marodder62

marodder62

I'm running a regulator with a mechanical pump because I'm running 97 strombergs. I currently have it mounted to the front of the block and it seemed to be working. Last night I noticed no fuel pressure at the gauge. I haven't looked at other possibilities yet, but was wondering if the regulator did go bad could it be because it got to hot.

6. flat-bill

flat-bill

The best place for a dial type fuel pressure regulator is the trash can. They are very undependable. I use the Holley "square" type regulators on my "97" cars. There are low and a high pressure versions. Also note that there are, what appear to be, knockoff's of the Holley regulators. I have seen them and the casting of the housing is soft and crumby looking. If it doesn't look nice and crisp and come in a real "Holley" box, I will not use it. Billk

7. flat-bill

flat-bill

Another thing to look at is the fuel pressure gauge you are using. The oil filled, small gauges are also undependable. Some have had better luck if you pull out the rubber plug and drain out the oil. Then reinstall the plug. There's a lot of junk out there. Billk

8. i agree , they are junk....we warranty them all the time at where i work. i wouldn't use one if you gave it to me. the Holley ones are not very much more than the dial type

9. I have a dial one feeding an 81 and a 97. It use to work pretty good but at full throttle the pressure falls to zero and the engine runs leans. I have cleaned the filters and cheeked the flow and I think the problem is the dial pressure regulator.

I like the dial one because it is smaller than the other regulators.

10. marodder62

marodder62

Thanks, I'll look into picking up a Holly.

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive owned a used a few of those dial type regulators and all but one ended up throwing gas everywhere.we use a holley with a gauge now. so far no leaks.yet

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i would use the king ones with the glass bowl in one unit.

13. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I agree on the dial type being junk. Only time any of the cars I built left me stranded was because I cheaped out and bought a Mr Gasket dial type.

14. kombi66

kombi66
    from stockto ca

i couldnt agree more i tried them on my old vw's really crappy and all over the place for pressure even had one that no matter where you set the dial it stayed at same pressure

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I used one for my dual 97s fed with an electric fuel pump.

[​IMG]

My dual 97s have no regulator on my mechanical Studebaker fuel pump and no problems with either.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The originals were made by Filt-O-Reg "back in the day" and were good made in the USA products.The Chinese copies made by Mr.Gasket and Spectre are hit and miss and have many negative ratings on Amazon and other vendors.The Holley is a much better choice and you can use the extra port for a gauge so your setting will be accurate.