Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto Hemi guys: 330 hemi parts interchangeability with SB MoPar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ok so Ive scored this real nice Desoto and am at the planning stage / parts sourcing point of the project.

Im looking to confirm the interchangeability of SB Mopar bits for the 330 Desoto as I have a huge stash of Hipo SB MoPar parts.....

Serached the Hemi stuff Scooter put up but havent found anything specific to SB MoPar interchangability with the Desoto hemi.

I already know the SB oil pumps will fit with a HH adaptor. Also have found and that SB MoPar mains studs fit all the caps/block well as does my SB elec dist with a HH adaptor. I will prob want to run the std timing cover with rebuilt water pump for a more factory look (have no prob with the sbc/bbc pump either).

But will the following fit or at least be adaptable ?

340 Balancer (int balanced)
    SB Mopar head studs? (prob not due to diff head design?)
    Freeze plugs diameter
    Oil gallery plugs (rear of block)
    SB Mopar Gear drive ( I think I could adapt the single idler one here, SB Mopes are hard on chains, are Hemis too?)
    SB hardened oil pump / dist drive? (I know the busing is the same)
    SB Mopar Windage tray

Anything else?

Any info would be fantastic guys....save me some $$$ hehe.

Rat

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. R Pope

R Pope

All the hemi's use the same timing chain, the LA engine roller is best.

3. George

George

If you had a roller cam the 318 roller lifters fit right in.

4. Thanx....

I had heard about the HYD roller lifters in the Desoto, but I think youve still got to mod the lifter tie bar somewhat.

BUMP !!

Rat

5. RAT,
    I believe the drop-in, roller lifters are the ones for the Mopar "LA" 273, 318, 340, 360's. They come with a tie bar...the newer 318 rollers have a different alignment system with no tie-bar, that isn't a drop-in...the lifter bores would need big time modification. With the "LA" Series roller tie bars, the lifter bore spacing is too narrow for them to drop in the 392 Hemi lifter bores. On the Dodge Hemi blocks, the tie bars need to be cut/shortened/re-welded to drop into the Stock bores. However, what I HAVE heard is that they'll drop right into all the Desoto bores...276, 291, 330, 341, and 345. I have NOT measured this myself, and am only going by what "I've heard". If someone could measure the center-to-center distance of the DeSoto lifter bores, and the closest/farthest distances on a "LA" roller lifter, then we'd know. I'd LOVE to find out myself, as I have a one-off, never used, Chet Herbert DeSoto roller cam that I'm DYING to use in the blown 291 I'm building. But who the hell would happen to have a bare DeSoto block, and a single set of "LA" roller lifters just hanging around. Maybe someone with a Desoto block could Post the lifter bore C>C measurement, and someone with a set of "LA" lifters could Post the measurements for them...
    http://cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=69532-16&lvl=3&prt=117

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. 73RR

73RR

Well, I know that I measured lifter bores for somebody out there...who was it?? ...seems that a DeSoto roller was workable...
    Rat, as you check scooter's Hemi tech threads you should find mention of Dodge and DeSoto on some of the interchange parts issues. Most recent was a discussion on oil pumps and problems associated with the 340 conversion. Your 330 uses the same pump as a 392 so check around for a replacement. Although most manufacturers quit making them years ago I still find one occasionally at the parts house. Your stock pump can also be rebuilt if not too worn. If you want to use an LA dizzy you need something to 'grow' ¼" and you have two options: You can counterbore the top of you block where the dist sits (¼" deep) or you can use a 392 intermediate shaft and move the gear so that the depth below the gear matches your stock piece. This will place the top of the shaft flush with the top of the gear which is just about perfect. The option to this is to buy an aftermarket shaft and/or gear assembly.
    If your handy, check the fit of a LA front cover on the 330 block. Yes it requires some work but it has been done. Any Mopar forged crank dampener will work, several styles to choose from. You can make a stepped key or re-broach the new hub. Either way timing tape gets you back on track. Chain and sprockets interchange with LA so will a gear drive. For those folks who want to use an LA chain set and keep the mechanical fuel pump then you must provide some means to engage the eccentric. Do Not rely on the bolt to keep everything together. (We have chain sets with the required modification) The 360 windage tray fits around the crank but the stud location is off (we have mounting brackets just for this).

No doubt I glossed over something, and no doubt someone will call me on it...:cool:

Gary

7. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Very good information. Gary, do you have a website or a way to contact you?

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

If you want to use a timing chain and gear set-up, I might recommend using the modern LA based timing chain tensioner that I have adapted to the early hemis.

9. I went out and measured my 330 Desoto block - best as I could - the access is pretty tight.
    Outside lifter bore to outside lifter bore = 2.610
    Inside lifter bore to inside lifter bore = .735
    Lifter itself = .90

My block has some brass sleeves down inside the bores, so if you do the math these numbers are off by about .065 which is probably the sleeves. I think you can find the exact center line still -
    .735 + .45 + .45 = 1.635
    then subtract the sleeve ... or add the sleeve(?).

What is the spacing on the LA roller lifters?

10. Great info guys....

73RR....I saw Scoots thread on the 340 oil pump conversion issue. Great info !!

Are you saying that any SB or BB intermediate shaft will do, albeit 1/4" shorter? I already have a MP intermediate shaft with the hardened tip. If I can easily redrill and move the gear on the shaft, a 392 intermediate shaft might be the go. Where can I get a intermediate shaft to suit a 392?

I also have an LA timing cover, but dont know if Im going to go down that path....we'll see.

Tom, in my exp SB Mopars are hard on timing chains, esp with some decent valve springs in them. How hard is it to adapt your tensioner to the front face of the block?

Pix to come soon....

Rat

11. 73RR

73RR

Sorry, I still old school. In fact I still much prefer the telephone to these damned computers...888-Hemi-Parts, M-F; 7-5 Pacific
    Someday I'll find a web guy who isn't trying to retire on my money...

Gary

12. 73RR

73RR

NO! We are talking early Hemi Parts. If you have access to a 392 assembly then you can use it, if not, you'll need to buy a new shaft or new assembly.

Gary

13. Ok thanx for the heads up Gary !!

New qun...curious as to what the max bore size is that a 330 can take and still leave .100" - .120" ? My block is in very good shape, the water jacker looks primo from the inside.

Just curious.....

Bump....

Rat

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  14. 73RR

73RR

Generally, the 330 will go 060 which makes it a 341...BUT...sonic check each cylinder before you start cutting. You are better off using the smallest possible bore with a hi-comp piston rather than trying to build comp with an overbore. Thick walls make for better cylinder cooling/ heat transfer.