Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Desirability of early fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaduro, May 19, 2015.

1. Chaduro

Chaduro
    from Peoria, AZ

Can someone explain to me why the 32 Ford is the most popular of the Model A's and B's? And why the 30-31 Fords are more popular than the 27-29 Fords? Can't seem to find anything in the web about this. Thanks.

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Because they're special.

Unique one-year-only styling.

The first "every man's" affordable V8.

Study them all and you'll soon see why the 1932 Fords are so coveted by old car lovers.

The HAMB is your resource on the web. Look, read and learn.

3. 32 was the first year for flush fitting doors and a production V/8 for FoMoCo. They were still pretty boxy but the 32 three window showed a preview of styling changes to come.
    I'm not so sure 30-31s are more popular then 28-29s. I perfer the early ones to the late ones.

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. 27 was still a model T
    28-29 had a cowl like the T
    30-31 cowl was more graceful
    32 V8 power available and body was smoother, one year only body style, the "deuce" grille appears.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

FUCKEN EH!!!! you said it all

HOTRODPRIMER and volvobrynk like this.
  7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ryan!...Chaduro is off his meds again...

8. Is the date correct on this? Seems an identical question was asked not so long ago.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

1932 was the first year for a V8. That meant later flathead V8s fit fairly easily. And the chassis was heavier than a model A and could handle the power better.

A roadster was the most desirable body style but there were not too many 32 roadsters. But, there were lots of 28 - 29 Model A roadsters in junk yards in the 40s and 50s. So, you could buy a second hand 32 sedan with V8, junk the body, and put on a Model A roadster body to make a hot rod roadster.

Newer Fords had a different chassis and the model A body did not fit. They were popular in their own right but were not the classical hot rod roadster.

40fordtudor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. '32 frames also were more sculpted, sturdier and the whole car was a refinement of the improvements that the Model A had evolved to over Henry's Model T. I'm with Rocky, in that I prefer a '28-29 over a '30-31, but wish the earlier A's had stainless steel trim, too, not the nickel-plated. The '32 V-8 was such a big step forward in power for the bottom-market cars (more power and yet affordable) that the "deuce" is revered by hotrodders from day one.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. ................................Did you read all the way to the end of the internet?:rolleyes:

12. clem

clem

They look better in your garage ? Seriously though....
    1st mass produced readily and easily affordable V8 = hp = speed.
    Easily removed excess weight, guards, running boards, etc.
    I would have said a lighter chassis than the heavy model A's, but I may be wrong.
    Personally, I prefer the '28, '29 modelA's over the later ones! And I would think if you took a poll it would come out close to 50/50. - that could open a whole new debate.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I believe the same neural synapses are involved when looking at a '32 3W as are involved in me seeing an 18 year old young lady with red hair, green eyes and a superstructure like Jungle Pam!

14. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

All you have to do is sit in a 32 roadster. It will make perfect sense. If you are not careful you will get sick with deuce fever.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Everything mentioned above holds merit!

The Deuce is a icon of hot rods,that's not to say the Model A's or any of the rest of the early Fords are not held in high esteem by many thousands of hot rodders but the look, and the one year body style along with that V8 sealed the deal.

I was infected at a early age as were many of my peers and contemporaries.

The Flathead V8 was the lure of the 32 Ford and helped make the Deuce the most coveted car in it's day..and 83 years later it still is by many. HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Plus....The V-8 was highly endorsed by Clyde Barrow...LOL

17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad's theory was ,alot of the '32 V8's went bad; hence in need of replacement and later ones being a boltin...instant hot rod icon. His 1st car in 1935 was an oil sucking '32 5W; in 1938 it was using a gallon of oil to go from south central PA to get to Penn State...so they stuck in a '36 85HP and it ran like stink. Not to mention all of the above great reasons!

18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Well that's a first for me. I didn't realize that Ford made a car prior to 1933.

MAD 034, clem, NHRANUT and 5 others like this.
  19. Simply because more people like 32s over 30-31s and more people like 30-31s over 28-29s.
    I like 39s over 40s but I think I am in the minority on that one.

Model T1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've always thought '32 was about the prettiest year for all makes. The phenomenon that occurs to make a model really valuable is a combination of commonality and relative scarcity. Fords were popular because they were common and simple. These also combine to make restoring and driving one very practical. This gives you a big fan base who knows and appreciates Fords. Add to that a specific year, body style, or engine option that is relatively less common, and you have the formula for big bucks. A different make of car could be more rare, but without the hordes of Ford fans, it won't be worth much, except to a limited number of oddball fans.

kiwijeff, HOTRODPRIMER and volvobrynk like this.
  21. After the war the deuce was cheap and more streamlined than the model A. It made a better race car if you didn't mind driving a flying brick. The average kid was influenced by racers and so the love of the deuce was born. :rolleyes:

Sorry that is an explanation I saw in a magazine one time about the deuce. Well except the part about the flying brick that was all beaner. LOL :D

This question come up about once a year, it never really gets answered because there is no definitive answer to it, people like what they like. And the truth is they are only popular if you like 'em, if you don't care for them as much as you do something else they are just trendy. :D

I have a few cars out of all the models that I really like, most are Vics in any of the mentioned cars, and 5 windows in the deuce variety. Of the A bones I am partial to the 28/9 because they are narrower (dumb reason) although the 30/1 cowl is a nicer looking cow for sure. I have no idea why I like Vics, I just do.

All that said I would take a model 40 over any of the early 30s fords and they were not mentioned at all.

Anyway there is really no real answer to the question, just conjecture on anyone's part. The only real answer is why a certain individual likes them or that people like what they like.

22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm with the curmudgeon and I got my bib on.

23. LOL I wasn't breast fed and smallish breasts and short are good for me. LOL

Pinstriper40 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Glowing endorsement by Clyde Barrow. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Clyde was so Holy. or maybe that was Holey. I get those too so confused. :confused:o_O:eek::D

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It's funny, so many people wants to, but so few people can answer that one simple question!

I like the Deuce, like most people, but to me it's just a One Year Car that set of the whole deal of one year cars.
    But in it's own right the '33, '34, '35 and '40 is beautiful cars that is also very adored. But the 32 is Iconic.
    Can't tell you why, but it's a fact!

And if I do some soul searching I like a 30-31 even more (Deuce people keep your pitch forks at ease), but cause to me, it seems that the price of a 32 is so high, that it's hard to be true to the "light, fast and cheap" concept that started the hot rod movement.
    And to me the AV8 is a humble and fast combo, but also what comes to my mind when people say Hot Rod.

But they can't the deuce down from it pedestal, that it rightfully stand on, and stand proud I most confess.

The general hot rodding history books always claims the '32 as No1.
    28-29 as No2.
    And 30-31 as No3.
    Still a mystery, that will never be change.

clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

why not give him some of yours?

28. One thing about our hobby that has been true for most of my life is hype. I cannot say for the years after the war because I wasn't born for a few years and didn't become aware until a while after that.

More often then not people like what they are told to like. "This is the hot setup" is a lot of what I used to hear touting this part or that setup. Or "man those '57 Chebbys are cool"

Look at it this way, if the hot rodding world consisted of you and me and HotRodPrimer and you were a young man (which you actually are) and new to hot rodding (which you are not) and we both told you that the 29 Hupmobile was the quintessential hot rod you would believe that the 29 Hupmobile was the quintessential hot rod.

I wasn't around when the deuce started becoming popular I was just told that it was and so I believed that it was. It has never really been my favorite because I am pigheaded and make up my own mind but the overwhelming majority of people are sheep and they just follow without ever questioning why.

29. Since I bought my first Deuce in 1962 at the ripe old age of 12 I have been enamored with the style and lines of a '32.

I've had several Model A's and loved every one of them but always aspired to get another Deuce,that desire was then dampened when I bought the first in a never ending series of 1940 Ford long before I joined the Hamb,,but that desire to reacquaint myself with the Deuce couldn't be depressed any longer and I had bought and sold enough to scrape up the coins to have my dream car once again.

To some like me it's merely an obsession,then again some go their entire life and escape being bitten by the deuce bug.

I can assure you if that happens there is no cure! :D HRP

bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. LOL I was once told that deuces are like pussy so I had tried that once and avoided deuces like the plague. :D

I actually owned most of a 5 window coupe once. It didn't last long someone else wanted it more than I did. I still wish I had kept it. Something about the 5 window that I like, much like a Vicky I have no idea what it is.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.