Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Once I finish my 46 Stude on an s10, I have this 46 1 1/2 ton that I have thought about putting on this 82 chevy 1ton. The chevy is a crew cab 4x4 diesel and runs great. Has rust issues around the windshield and back window so it leaks into the cab. The chevy wheelbase is 12 inches longer than the Stude so I was thinking of putting a tool box/extra diesel tank between the cab and that tilt bed. The chevy frame rails are the same dimensions as the Stude, so should be fairly simple if I go that way.

Attached Files:

2. joel torres

joel torres

that is the project i want to do to the tee that would make a sick work truck to with old style racks made up and plow setup or just low, loud mean looking cruiser

3. old rat

old rat

Anyone have input/ pics on swap for a 117 in wb '46 Plymouth 2 door sedan or equal ?

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Theres a million ways to do it, even with the same car, if you find a longbox you wont have to shorten the frame as they are 117", if you have no floors left you could channel it with no extra work, if your floors are good you could leave them but you will prolly have to raise/redo the trunk floor due to the frame kick up in the rear. There is a younger guy about 16 if I recall doing a 46-48 Ply more door theres a build thread with some cool pics of how they are putting it together, wort looking for if you wanna see some of whats involved. They are channeling it and making all new floors.

5. well since theres 64 pages and I'm way to lazy and time pressed to go threw all of them

how about a '46-'48 Ford Coupe..is that a good canidate for a s10 frame or is there something better to use? any modifications you need to make?

thanks

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have posted some pics of the swap I am doing my 47 Ford sedan in this thread...finished the body mounts this week, I will add some more pics before the end of the weekend.

7. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres some pics of the bodymounts I did on the 47 Ford sedan, used mostly pieces of 2x4 rec tubing cut on angles, two for the cowl, 3 on each side and 3 across the back that will be tied into the trunk floor .I might add a couple to the inside of the frame to give some support to the center of the floor pan. I will decide that once I get the seats mounted up.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Due to the frame kick up in the rear and rust, I have to make a whole new trunk floor, I welded some 1" angle to the inner wheel well to support it on the sides, and a piece to support it on the back, I will rosette weld the floor to the piece of steel plate that the rear body mounts are on. Then I will have a small step down section of floor that drops down to meet the level of the orig floor where the trunk latch mechanism is. I wont skin the trunk floor till I get the fuel tank all engineered and mounted, easier to do that without a trunk floor.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. 6berry

6berry

11. rustyhood

rustyhood

A two year old thread loaded with some awesome info!!!
    Jason, Thanks for starting this thread! Im useing a 1999 s10 frame for my 1947 Ford Panel. I have a build thread started on here as "my last challenge what do you think"
    I post pics as I progress, so maybe this may help someone useing this style frame as well.

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think its great you are bringing the remains of that ol panel truck back to life! Although I think ya should run fenders on it for sure :)

13. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i clipped my 53 ford ,i was planning on welding it right up with no z-drop anyone know how low the front will be?

14. May Street Relics

May Street Relics

Help my day stub his 50 ford work better then a nova

15. lachap1

lachap1

Koolkemp I just started mine (48 ford) and can't wait to see more.Love the pics and info.Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have a bunch more done if I get a chance later today I will post some more pics, I have the trunk floor done, gas tank in and the motor & trans mounted.

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I applaud the people that are using the S-10, D-50, Courior, etc. It's a very practical aspect because a lot of customs using the original chassis, even with major modifications in attempts to improve, end up not improving on the handling at all. I've ridden in a lot of customs, bitchin' and applauded for their look, but too many of them ride like shit.

If "improving handling characteristics" were a prerequisite to building a custom, even the die-hard "I build my own chassis" would be singing a different tune, because A large majority of those just don't measure up. Hence, the use of an existing chassis for many guys is the better choice.

This thread is an excellent way to sort that out.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Got my trunk floor framed up with 1x1 tubing and got the gas tank mounted, its from a 55 Chevy, gonna put a filler neck in the rear, with an access door in the yet to be installed step down part of the trunk floor , there just isnt enough room to use the original filler neck location on the 55 tank without hacking the shit outta the frame/trunk area.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i jst took mine for a shake down run..even with a eyeball alignment i couldnt be happier...steering is nice and tight, good turning radius,stops on a dime.handles good..as soon as i get the exuast hooked up im taking it to the alignment shop and a good long drive...

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Also got the motor/trans mounted, early style small block mounts and home made frame uprights, modified an unknown GM tranny crossmember to fit the wierdo configuration of the S10 inner frame rails, they are different on each side, still gotta make the ears to rest the crossmember on, I will post some pics of that when I get it done likely this week some time. Also cut out the frame to mount the stock mechanical fuel pump, this area will of coarse be boxed in.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man I cant wait for a first drive in mine...prolly wont be for another year though....:(

22. Abomination

Abomination

And this thread is quickly proving to be the end-all, be-all source of info (and especially pictures) on the subject! ;)

~Jason

23. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

on the way home i had to stop get out and make for sure i was in the right car...it drove so good it scares me..the road between my house and the muffler shop is beyond bad.....first time ive been able to drive with one hand.......no darting,no dream weave,stopped straight as arrow.by far the best thing ive dont to this car....i have a new excitement for driving it again.....

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Something to look forward to ...I have built one other with a Ranger chassis, really liked how it handled, I am sure the S10 will be better .

25. scounts

scounts

Hey,

New guy here. I'm putting a 52 Chevy on a 2000 S-10. I built the S-10 a couple of years ago, and put a Corvette TPI in it. I have a question. Has anyone used the original S-10 floor pan in a AD truck? What about the pan and partial firewall of the S-10. Just a though. I'll be on hold for a year on the project as I will be deploying for a year to Afghanistan, so I'll have plenty of time to think about what I'll do. Thanks!

Here's a link to the photo's of the project so far. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9089970@N05/sets/72157622996366328/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  26. scounts

scounts

27. 49chevy

49chevy

Here's my 49 on a 2000 zr2 sort of a NAPCO look

Attached Files:

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very cool. Just about my ideal work truck, actually. Have you chronicled the build anywhere?

-Dave

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres a few pics of mine outside for the first time since the frame swap...I just found the worlds rustiest coupe parts car which I hope to have home in a couple of weeks then the sparks will fly as this becomes[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] a long door coupe!

30. 49chevy

49chevy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.