Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dave Stuckey Kustoms info anyone?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fleet-master, Feb 8, 2011.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

Ok guys and gals...does anyone have any info on either of these two Kustoms?... built by Dave Stuckey I believe. the 58 Chevy was known as the Kandy Kart? :)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Got no extra info but man, that 40 is badass! Did it ever get finished and make it to paint?

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

4. Goodlife

Goodlife

Don't know about the cars pictured, but he is still around from what I hear living in the same place and having his shop in Wichita, Kansas.

5. That 58 is amazing!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  6. frank spittle

frank spittle

I bought the '58 from original owner Pat Mulligan in 1974 with the custom built enclosed trailer. It had a Chrysler 413 for power. I sold it in '75 or so. I talked to Dave a couple years ago to see if he knew where it was and he did. He said it was being restored. It should be done by now.

7. customcory

customcory

I saw that car at the Winston Nationals South back in the seventies. It blowed my mind.:D Is that when you owned it Frank?

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

There were only a handful of tasteful radical customs built after 1960. In fact, this car and the Jade Idol are the only two I can think of.

Keep in mind that Pat and Dave were both in their early 20's when it was built and that the '58 was a nearly new car when they started. I hope that Dave is right about it being restored and maybe finished by now.

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That 58 is WILD!!!!!

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

I agree with you on it being one of the best styled radical customs after 1960. When I went to Kansas to pick it up Pat said he took it to Dave for minor mods but Dave talked him into the radical custom. I believe it was the first radical work Dave did after leaving Starbird"s employment. One of my best friends, Charles John, who painted my '33 Essex (my avatar) was originally from Kansas and knew Dave and Pat. That is how I found out the '58 was for sale. In fact he rode with me to pick it up....but that is another story.

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

It probably was. I showed it a lot when I owned it and sold it to a guy in New Jersey (I think) or somewhere up North.

12. customcory

customcory

I remember briskly trotting across the field to look at it. I couldn't believe I was looking at it. It seemed like it hadn't been touched, the original candy and all, or maybe I remember wrong. Anyway after seeing it in person made me like the car a lot better, It had neat porportions seeing it from a distance. Nobody ever believed me when I would tell them I saw it. I agree like the Jade Idol , it was one of the greats.:D

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

What the hell! This is one car ive never seen.
    Theres more tricks in this one than in a magic hat!
    Hope its in someones caring hands now. Absoluteley awesome.

14. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

Dave Stuckey 316-524-0056

15. frank spittle

frank spittle

You are right, it was totally like it was when Pat quit showing it. It had been sitting for several years. You could tell it wasn't fresh but it still looked good. I will dig out a picture I took from back then and post it.

16. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

DAVE STUCKEY is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, I love his work , yet he is often overlooked in the kustom world. I had the honor of haveing him louver the hood in my truck back in 86. this post is going to be good, more info, please.

17. frank spittle

frank spittle

kandy kart2.jpg kandy kart.jpg These are very poor quality but here the '58 is sitting outside my garage in 1974. This car is incredably low. I had my 4 year old son stand beside it to show that. He is now 41. The custom built enclosed trailer is barely visable in the front shot. I have better pics but it will take awhile to find them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    catdad49, kidcampbell71 and stanlow69 like this.
  18. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]

This is another shot from Rik Hoving's site. These were taken in the parking lot of the old Great Western Exhibit building in L.A. in 1963. The car won the Sweepstakes Award at the Winternationals Car Show that year. It was held yearly in conjunction with NHRA at the same time as the Winternational Drags at Pomona.

In those days, the only cars to consistently beat the California cars in the big shows like that one and Oakland were being built by Stuckey and Starbird.

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

Thanks guys for the info on the 58 it sure is a cool car.Its similar in style (although more radical) to my favorite Kustom-- a sectioned 59 Ford called My Blue Heaven...do you know how much the 58 was sectioned and chopped? What were the bumpers off? or were they handmade? Any pics of the engine bay or trunk?
    Anybody got info on the 40?? ...anyone?

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

Thanks for the link to Rik's site Tom. It looks like the car evolved like most Kustoms over a period of time . These 2 picsshow rear and front hinged hood and what looks kinda like different rear quarter treatment..

Attached Files:

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen the 40 before...What ever happen to it? Had to blow up
    the picture that you posted. Man would this make a kool kustom.

[​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It was completed in '63 all at once. The different hood opening and side treatment were done by a more recent owner, I would say. It looks as though the quarters ('61 Pontiac) stayed the same but that someone extended the quarter panel shape forward to the front fender. The bumpers are from the rear of an Olds, probably around a '61. The same bumper is turned upside down for the front.

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

The picture in primer is definitely a recent picture or at least after I sold it. I was not aware it was being modified. The changes are probably going to make it look better but a car with this history should have been restored exactly as built.

24. customcory

customcory

Its in a old R&C or Car Craft , one of the skinny big ones. If I had a scanner I would put it up. Somebody?:D

25. frank spittle

frank spittle

KK2.jpg KKC58.jpg KK581.jpg This ia from a 1964 issue of Popular Customs.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and gsnort like this.
  26. the primered version of the '58 shown a couple posts back, was for sale at the 1990 KKOA Leadsled Spectacular in Holland Mi. I took a similar picture that weekend.

27. front bumper looks like a rear 60 88 bumper

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks for the info so far on the 58.That car is sweeeet!! Still would love to see some pics of engine bay and trunk if poss...anyone?
    And still nuthin on that sectioned 40 Tudor...?? Anyone? Rikster?

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Does this help.

Attached Files:

30. that 40 is bitchen!