Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dash light up grade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorback1999, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Razorback1999

Razorback1999

I have a 55 Lincoln redoing the wiring and thought I will tackle dash while I got it apart. The place where the dash lights go all wires are brittle and I want to replace it. The light bulb sockets are part of the cluster. How do I replace the wires and where do I find button connections like this ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455052550.459567.jpg

2. Fread

Fread
    from MN

Try the Early Ford Store

loudbang likes this.
  3. Buz

Buz

I have been able to melt the solder out of the button and solder it on the new wire.

loudbang likes this.
  4. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Another way to reuse the button is to cut the wire leaving a a few inches of wire with the button. Strip off a the old insulation from that wire stub and replace with heat shrink tube of the proper diameter. Thread the button and newly insulated wire stub back though the socket and now splice your new dash wire on to the stub using a crip connector or solder/heat shrink.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

302GMC likes this.

5. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

One more idea. Buy cheap replacement sockets at the auto parts store. You can get 1157 sockets ( 2 buttons per socket) for $3 or $4. Replace your old buttons with the new buttons and attached pigtail by removing them from the new socket and threading them into your old socket. Splice your dash wires into the new pigtail.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Canuck

Canuck

They are available from Ron Francis, https://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=57 and probably other wiring harness manufacturers in smaller quantities. Pricey little suckers tho.

I needed 2 for the lamp sockets for the 60's SW gauges I am using in my A.

Took the old ones and trimmed the wire off flush then drilled a 1/16 hole thru the center of the wire to the contact point. Soldered the new wire into the hole and dressed the contact area smooth. Good as new, 10 minutes time and done.

Canuck

7. Those used to be available at most parts stores. They were usually a kit with the wire, bakelite washer and springs.

8. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56premiere likes this.
  10. Mac's auto parts under 56 T-Bird wiring parts.
    64-27765.jpg

11. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I use what Ebbspeed does , sometimes copper if I have them. Solder or crimp on. I have in a pinch used the crush part of a pop rivet.

12. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I have seen the wires with the tips ,spring ,a new phenolic washer for single or dual filament bulbs as a replacement or with a new socket at swap meets

13. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see them at every swap meet and NAPA and other parts stores stock them

14. Razorback1999

Razorback1999

Thank you, I didn't know what they where called and was having a hard time finding them. I kept trying to look up button connectors and nothing was coming up.

15. Razorback1999

Razorback1999

I'm not sure wondering if led would fit.