Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dad's 51 Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 51 Merc, Oct 20, 2014.

1. 51 Merc

51 Merc
    from Washington

I have recovered my dads 1951 mercury he bought new way back.
    What I'd like to check into is use the original 51 Merc 3sp with pull out OD trasmission to a small block ford.
    Is this at all possible?

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Sure, just need an adapter to mate the to that engine. Not sure who has an adapter but shouldn't be to hard to find.

3. 51 Merc

51 Merc
    from Washington

Okay, I'll keep my nose in the air and look around.
    Thanks

4. It seems to me that 51 was the first of the standard 4 bolt gear box for Mercury. If so you may not need an adapter at all. Just the correct clutch disc. You'll also need the oil filter adapter that re positions the filter 90 degrees and a Bronco style oil pan.
    The Wizzard

5. Is it the convertible that is in your avatar ? Shit man....if so, you rule ! And your dad, of course.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

51 Mercs came with both big bell transmissions in the early ones and the 4 bolt "Ford" style pattern that was used for who knows how long. You would need an adapter for the big bell trans while the 4 bolt should bolt right to a newer Ford bellhousing with the right clutch disk.

7. The 'standard' Ford transmission bolt pattern was the same from '49 through '64 (as noted, there were a few oddballs early on), in '65 Ford changed to a larger pattern. The early SBF (62-64) used a different bellhousing/block that won't fit the later motors. Ford did build some multi-pattern bells after '64 that would accept either trans, and some others have enough meat in them that they can be drilled for the early pattern. One catch; the center hole in the bell that the input shaft/bearing cover indexes on got slightly larger in '65, so you need to shim or slightly build up/remachine that cover if using the early trans with a late bell to properly line up the centerline of the trans with the crankshaft or you run the risk of shortening pilot bearing/trans input bearing life. You may also be able to swap a later larger diameter bearing cover onto the trans, but these can be a bit hard to find.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Time to start thinking about oil pan, 12 volt conversion, OD solenoid & relay, etc ...

9. Slopok

Slopok

Do you still have the flathead and if so and good, why not just run a newer trans? Many options and way cooler.

10. tevintage

tevintage

Hi 51:
    How about a pic of the Merc. It is not every day one recovers a car their Dad owned in the fifties. That is a nice and fun accomplishment. Thanks. TEB

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!