Register now to get rid of these ads!

D.i.y. Engine turning stainless

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark H, May 21, 2009.

1. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

STUFF REQUIRED
    Drill press,engineers square,permanent marker,steel rule,wire brush approx 7/8 inch diameter,jubilee clip(hose clamp!),electrical tape,lubricant,stainless steel sheet,lots of patience and a steady hand!
    STEP 1
    Mark out the stainless sheet with a grid of 1/2 inch squares using the marker,square and rule.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=665793&stc=1&d=1242947596

STEP 2
    Bind the wire brush with electrical tape and firmly secure with hose clamp around it about 1/4 inch from the end to stop the brush splaying out too much.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=665796&stc=1&d=1242947930
    STEP 3
    Set drill speed at about 500 rpm.Generously lube the work piece and,from the top left corner,using the grid as a guide,lower the brush into contact with the stainless.Apply gentle pressure in an up and down motion for about 10 seconds but do not allow the brush to loose contact with the work piece.Take note of the reading on the drills depth gauge to ensure a consistent pattern.Once you've done the first 'swirl',lift the brush and move to the right and make a second,overlapping the first by 1/2.Carry on until the first row is completed.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=665801&stc=1&d=1242948592
    STEP 4
    Start the second row as before,overlapping the first row by 1/2.Then continue until the work piece is completed.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=665804&stc=1&d=1242948834
    It's not perfect but ,it cost next to nothing except time,oh a lot of time!
    TIPS
    Practice on scraps first.
    Every now and then,clean the work piece and re-mark the grid if neccessary.At the same time check for any mistakes and correct them.
    If you're tired/pissed off,take a break.It's real easy to screw up.
    Hope someone finds this usefull.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      499.4 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      475.9 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      484.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      490 KB
      Views:
    Scramboleer likes this.
  2. TomWar

TomWar

we used to use awooden dowel, and valve-grinding compound

Scramboleer likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

4. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

I might try that on alluminum , just less presure ?

5. I'm doing the same thing on the roadster dash. Plan to use 1/8" aluminum and brass wire brush. I found a plastic zip tie works to keep the brush bound up - but a hose clamp sounds even better. Been practicing and it looks good. I like the grid idea marked on the work piece. Also I'll try to use a "fence" set up on the drill press so you can run the work piece to the fence and then simply move the work left or right for each row. At least that part of the row should end up straight. Another idea picked up on the HAMB is to set the drill press stop where you get equal down pressure on each swirl. I plan to get the metal in a rectangle slightly larger than the flat space on the dash, do the work and then cut the perimeter to fit and then drill the five guage holes. I tried using WD40 on the aluminum practice runs and it seems the swirl pattern is "brighter" or has more sheen than not using a lubricant.
    OK, here we go....................

6. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Hi,Tom.I'll maybe try that method next time.
    Hi,dana and thanks.
    Hi,Ned.As RuFFDaWG suggests,maybe use a brass brush on alluminium.I think the wire brush may too harsh.
    Hi,RuFFDaWG.You're right about the drill stop only my drill press is a cheapie,probably put together by underpaid kids in a third world sweat shop and doesn't have one!You're dead right about making the part oversize and cutting any holes afterwards,I should've put that in the thread,thanks.

7. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Just joined and have found a wealth of great ideas on the site. Thanks for sharing

Dave AKA 41gasser

8. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

You're welcome,Dave.There are other methods of doing this,some probably easier,just used equipment that was available to me at the time.

9. LeaveItToBeaver

LeaveItToBeaver
    from Ennis, TX

I have used a small scotch brite pad on a rotolock mandrel for putting a pattern on aluminum. Don't know how well it would work on stainless though.

10. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

I use a 3m rolok sanding disk or scotch pad depending on the material. It seems much easier to me than a wire cup.
    heres an example on a painting I did recently. I wasnt trying to make a perfect pattern. I just kinda went willy nilly, till the panel was covered.

[​IMG]

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how I was going to do it also, but on aluminum. I have a few different sized mandrel type brushes that I've bound tight. I'm working on an X-Y table design that I (or anyone else) could build on the cheap so the work pieces doesn't have to be marked. I'll update you when I finally do it.

Thanks for sharing Mark! Looks great!

12. I used a piece of plywood with a 5/16" square grid pattern and a metal impregnated rubber dowel with a 1/4" arbor on the drill press. The dowel is made by "Cratex Manufacturing" They can be purchased at any tool supply store. The dowel is #1350, it is 7/8" in diameter and 1" long and comes in fine, medium, and coarse which is the one I used. The arbor comes seperate, but you can cut the head off of any 1/4x20 bolt and use it. I bought my dowel at Bass Tool and Supply here in Houston. I did the aluminum gauge panel for my '40 pickup. Cut my holes first then sanded it with wet/dry paper up to 1000 grit, and used 3-in-1 oil as a lubricant when doing the turning. I found this method in an old "Fat Fendered Street Rods" magazine "Fall 1991 Volume 1, number 3"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  13. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I had a go at engine turning some time back and I used 2 clamps on the drillpress table to use a guide for the metalplate to slide along during every circle.
    After you're covered an entire line on the plate, move the clamps for the next line of circles and start over.
    I think you get a cleaner and cripser look this way than eyeballing the plate under the brush.

Scramboleer likes this.
  14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one application on my 32 roadster-----Don:D:D

Attached Files:

15. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

What kind of lubricant needs to be used?

16. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

you can use anything from cutting/penetrating fliud to motor oil to nothing at all.. I generally dont use any depending on the look Im going for. If you want a softer "brushed" look I would recommend some kind of cutting oil ;)

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Man thats COOL. I got my drill press a month ago and have alot of sheet stock .
    I'm gonna get to the higher end of mediocre on this.

18. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Thank for the posts,guys.There's some great tips that I can try out later.
    Scooter,looking forward to the update on that table design.
    Vinny,love that panel.Might try something like that once I've got the car finished.
    Don,that dash is superb,thanks.
    Mark

19. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

I reckon you could use a series of wooden or metal strips to space the work away from the fence, add or remove one for each row -- it would save moving the clamps for each row.

As for columns an oversized sheet on the drill press table could have indexing lines drawn and the work moved to match them for each column.

20. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

We've done the wood dowel trick it works good, What we did was turn down the pressure on the blasting cabinet and blasted the end of the dowel the sand sticks in the wood more than it take s it away, it last for awhile then you have to blast it again, Thanks for the info I'll give it a try

21. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Some people just have too much time on their hands!LOL:D
    Nice work!

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man thats engine block is the work of a true fanatic , you sir are a patient man lmao , great work

23. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Wow! there must be a secret to that or hes the worlds most patient person.
    Ive done a few decorative pieces and i dont know if i would do it again with out a digital readout or our cnc. LOL.

24. fordheadEd

fordheadEd

Go to Eastwoods' technical library on their website and look up "engine turning", they even have grit blended rubber dowels in various sizes to order with all tips you need!! Have fun!

25. Thanks for posting great info.

26. Mark, you're so dreamy :p

27. Killer thread - I never thought of using a wire brush for that. I like it.

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My drillpress has laser crosshairs. Maybe it'll make it easier to line up. Gotta try this. Thanks.

29. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Grits,you just reminded me of one of my favourite lines from the movies;
    "There's only two things that come out of Texas,steers and q*****,and I don't see no horns,boy!LOL:D:D