Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom radio flyer wagon pics and ideas???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sprout, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No shit! I was gonna make my own tube-style drop axle, but I love those cast aluminum ones!

I'm building two for my kids in the spring. I have a third wagon, but I'm not sure what i want to do with it yet.

2. 1st wing

1st wing

Mine are made out of 1/8" x 3/4" flat iron and painted to look like aluminum. A lot of cutting, drilling and welding. :cool:

3. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

How does it actually turn with that drop axle?

I am working on a Hamilton greyhound wagon I picked up for my 1 year old daughter I built a new frame from small square tubing and it will be low but I havent figuired out how to make the steering low but functional. Its not the typical single bolt swivel steer kind like the radio flyers so I may steal some ideas :p

4. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

[​IMG]Her is mine i did for my 2 year old son. He loves it...

5. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

[​IMG][​IMG]If you look at the back we did cup holders and the small holes are for some ipod speakers The interior is one of a kind... It was painted by Steve VanDeman Flat black with flames and striped on the back,front and inside. I still want to do a dif pull handel..

6. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

acueh is correct that is a 1970's Radio Flyer Fireball. I have one that I received for Christmas when I was a kid. Built it for my Daughter and gave it to her for Christmas last year (I'll post pics when I have mor time to figure it out). I just picked up a second one for my baby boy and bought it from the same guy I bought my 32 5 window from (took two more years to talk him into selling it to me). I must say in my experience they are very hard to come by. Been looking on the net for years, checking antique dealers, vintage toys, and I even called Radio Flyer to ask if they knew of any out there and they did not. I have only seen my two, yours and one other at a Goodguys show. I guess what I'm saying is very cool wagon. Oh ya by the way if you ever see any more like it I'm interested.

7. bugsy_malonn

bugsy_malonn
    from Emmett ID

Here is the one I built for my kid for christmas I cant wait for summer and the car shows we will have a blast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Hey Bugsy Malonn thats bad ass...

9. mj40's

mj40's

Radio Flyer Stats
    Built in 1990, 26 tons of steel and reinforced concrete, 12-foot-high, 27-foot-long Radio Flyer Wagon. It can hold as many as 300 people. Spiering spent six to seven days a week for a year building the $36,000 sculpture, for which he received a $30,000 commission. Located in Riverfront Park in Spokane Wa.

10. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Here's one you can take the whole family in. And the in-laws

Attached Files:

11. RichG

RichG

I love that wagon. Such a cool place it's in too, the merry go round, the big wood blocks, all neat stuff down there!

12. aceuh

aceuh

Yep....I need me one of the Fireball wagons for the wifes collection!:D I've also collected some other Radio Flyer literature.

[​IMG]

Doubtful that we'd see an ad like this today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Michigan Rick

Michigan Rick
    from Owosso Mi.

Autojunkie....check out the worlds largest antique bike (and wagon) show @ Saline fairgrounds April 26th.....lots of rideon toys.

Michigan Rick

14. NAES

NAES

Took the custom wagon win with this little gem!!! Doens't hold shit except for a bunch of beer!!!

[​IMG]

NAES

15. My little bro just picked one up for our nephew and has it mostly torn down for upgrades. We were planning to refinish the wheels, and it'd be ideal if we could remove and reinstall the tires for the metal work.

Anyone here have any words of wisdom before we possibly destroy a wheel or two figuring it out?

Thanks!!

hdh

16. limoguy

limoguy
    from nor*cal

Just went with basic flat black. No mods except paint, stainless hardware, and bedliner etc.. Bought it all rusty at a flea market. Crappy Camera Phone Pics, Ill post some better ones later. Still have to mount the beer cooler tho.

17. limoguy

limoguy
    from nor*cal

lets see if this works

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hdh,

I did the metal work on my wheels with the tires attached. Just taped them off, stripped the paint, used rust converter, then filler, then primed, sanded and painted. all with the tired still attached, and I couldent be more pleased with the result

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I wanna do something like what you guys are doing! I have ever since i got married cause i knew we would have kids eventually!But i wanna know the samething where do you guys get the dropped axles for the front end?

19. Thanks, Limo, looks like fix or replace the tires stay on the rims as I suspected.

NICE work on your stake bed. Looks like alot of fun. And, alot more useful than stock!

I'll post some pics of ours in detail when it's complete.

hdh

20. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Built in the spirit of the HA/GR race class.... The HA/RF wagon.

[​IMG]

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

Forget the kid........I want it for myself !

22. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

i just grabbed 2 my neighbor was tossing out. my girl was humming the theme to sandford and son. i'll get to them eventually.

23. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

I'm building this custom dually wagon. I've used it to haul engines and heavy parts around the garage and yard. I need a couple of Radio Flyer wagons to lengthen and widen it to fit the chassis. Harbour freight wheels, bed frame plus scrap from the metal pile.

Attached Files:

24. karfer67

karfer67

this is my son's. other than the long flat piece of plate that comes out to join the front end all the other parts were from the original wagon just changed around and hacked to make work. small things like the two braces that run from the wagon body down to the front end were parts of the rear axle which was removed. i wanted this one about as low as it could get and as you can see that was achieved. my son loves telling everyone he sees at shows about it and how we built it (he is 5 guess he has the bug too :D)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zombies likes this.
  25. rexnard

rexnard

A Radio Flyer that got a little out of control. 2042578_46.jpg

2042578_51.jpg

2042578_52.jpg

Radio flyer go kart.jpg

2042578_50.jpg

Rodio flyer go kart.jpg

26. Not really HAMB friendly but heres one I built my son at least 11 years ago. I has seen more swap meet time than anything. It has a fully cantilever suspension like a monster truck. Shocks are off a horizontal stab from a DC-9 A/C. I got offered 1500.00 for it in Moultrie Ga swap meet, still got it. ETHER

Attached Files:

27. von zipper

von zipper

Mine has coil spring suspension! added wheels from a abandoned power wheels jeep

Attached Files:

28. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

29. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Geat thread! looking to do a wagon soon , unless I find a good original .

This picture is not a Radio Flyer but I like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  30. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Much like Caseys, the wagon I made for my kid. Soon to be prepped and painted!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.