Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CupHolder Taboo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Muttley

Muttley

I have never understood why people feel the need to eat and drink while driving down the road.

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

As the song says"I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there";)

Kan Kustom and 6-bangertim like this.
  3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

After stopping at the drive through on the way home, what would you have me do with the drink or drinks? Try holding them in my hands or balance them on the seat or floor?

clunker likes this.
  4. Not to start a shit storm BUT I have checked the new laws for California and I can find no record of this law you speak of????

jeffd1988 and 65pacecar like this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I don't eat fast food either, so its none of my concern, I don't really care what you do....;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. Some of these guys would freak out if they saw what I drive in a week

7. I've done plenty of hot rod drives of 12 hours or more. My bladder dictates stops (which is sooner than fuel:rolleyes:) and when I stop, I go for a piss, top up the tank and if hungy or thirsty I drink and eat while stretching the legs...then get in and carry on. I can survive at least a couple of hours without drinking something. I gather that is some kind of phenomenal feat or at least puts me in camel class.:rolleyes::p

36Terr-Panel likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FK,
    It is the "distracted driving" law about texting that can apply to most anything depending on what the CHP is feeling at the time of the incident. or...how you are driving with a drink of some kind in your hand. When the bottle of water goes up, the sight line is bad and you are technically, distracted by the bottle of water...the same goes for coffee.
    Jnaki
    Talk about "zero tolerance." According to the Los Angeles Times:

While there is no law saying someone can’t eat while driving, a distracted driver is in violation of the law. Under California’s vehicle code, a driver can be ticketed $145 to $1000 for having “wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.” Officers will also be tracking these distractions and the number of distracted drivers, because there is not very good data on just how many distracted drivers there are.

"There's no specific law for somebody eating a cheeseburger and driving a vehicle," another CHP officer says, "But unfortunately we have some drivers who don't have the ability to multitask." (Thanks for ruining the commute for the rest of us...)

But the question still remains: Where do we draw the line? Can we blow our nose? Drink coffee? Change the radio station? Excerpts from LA Weekly.

In So Cal, we will just have to drink our coffee and water at the stop lights. (and look over our shoulders at big brother.)

Truck64 likes this.
  9. cretin

cretin

This is the only cup holder install I've been a part of. Haha!

[​IMG]

Personally, I wouldn't put one in a hot rod, as hot rods should be simple, no frills.

That being said, I had planned to install some in my '54, but my plan was to put a modern retracting cup holder in the bottom of the front seat. And was going to wrap the front of it in the same material as the seat. That way it would be very hidden at all times when it wasn't in use.
    And the only reason I was going to do this is because the car was my daily, and it comes in handy from time to time in a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I can still remember when hot rodders used to brag about how quick their cars were. ;):rolleyes:

clem, Racer29, tfeverfred and 3 others like this.
  11. I use to brag about how fast my hot rod was until a pimple faced teenager blew my doors off in a 4 cylinder Honda.:rolleyes: HRP

deadbeat, clem, H380 and 2 others like this.
  12. I foresee some lawsuits in the future over this. Such as the fast food drive in that sells you Coffee, Soda pop etc knowing that they are contributing to a crime, An accessory if you will. I see this as an impossible law to enforce.

6-bangertim likes this.
  13. LostBoy

LostBoy

Idk guys, if you're sitting in traffic for 30 minutes at a time you'd be hard pressed not to sip your coffee. Similarly, on road trips? How can you expect someone to not drink or eat and drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Also I noticed a lot of "I never eat/drink" in my car. After spilling more than a few sodas in my Roadster I installed my cup holder. For me keeping Hydrated while driving 700 miles in a day in California in 90 degree weather is very important. But each to their own.

15. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I have a running gag that the reason I put power steering in my 48, after I'd put the first 30,000 miles on it, was I was getting tired of putting my beer down every time I had to turn a corner. I put a cup holder in the 48 as soon as I finished the interior, I've gotten very used to drinking water and most times I have a bottle along. It's mandatory on a roadtrip. Fuzz, I'm amazed you have that much room in your A roadster. In my buddies A coupe, we are pretty much shoulder to shoulder, and neither of us are THAT big. Bill

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W

See if you had your coffee and had not fell asleep at the light, you would not have to tell this story

jeffd1988 and falcongeorge like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When car radios first started becoming popular, Zenith made an advertisement touting their floor switch tuning. The idea was, and they made a pretty big deal out of it, that the operator didn't have to take his eyes off the road to change the starion.

The whole texting while driving legislation never made sense, since there are already laws against distracted driving. Then the focus shifted to simply talking on the phone, that is unlawful, unless hands free devices are used. Some states disallow that, iirc. It seems like the push for the lowest common denominator has really accelerated in recent years, if one person shits their pants, then by golly we all gotta wear diapers, or that'll be $746, sign here please.

When I was in the .mil the helicopter pilots had all sorts of tasks to do while flying in addition to monitoring a gazillion gauges, they had to read maps and navigate, talk on the radio, sometimes all at once, at night while wearing night vision goggles.

Cell phone use is just the latest and greatest, peoples driving skills have been declining, they just don't have a clue. If their car breaks down in an intersection, they just leave it right there, no consideration or understanding that it's their obligation to get that POS out of the way of everyone else.

I've heard people sometimes talk about how we "need to be more like Europe." They have no clue, if you explained exactly how we could be "more like Europe" they'd drop their martini and want no part of it.

For one thing, it's true. They do look askance at cars/people with cupholders, or they did at one time. They have very rigourous driver training. Night driving, city driving, night city driving, winter driving, night city winter driving etc. It's expensive, several thousand dollars to get a license.

If you can't pass the test, no license. Sorry. It's not easy, There are hefty fines for doing stupid things. Running out of gas on the highway can get you ticketed. Why? Because a stalled car on the side of a highway is a safety hazard.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ifn no cup holders, then no fake generators with alternators inside? Or silicone plug wires inside traditional cloth casings? Conversations like those should really do us in, eh? Gary

19. Bill I worked really hard to create the room. The seat back is under the rear upper portion of the body. I only used 1.5 inches of foam for the seat back. I can stretch my left leg straight out if needed. Seat bottom is as low as it can be. Plus a tilt telo steering column really helps with the room. Like you everyone is amazed at the room that is in my Roadster. I can drive hundreds of miles and be very fresh when the trip is done.

20. gas & guns

gas & guns

I always figured if you never had beer nuts, you haven't lived.

Actually, if you drink half and then lean the can forward at a 45° angle while holding between your legs, most of it stays in the can when pulling a holeshot.;)

BradinNC and jackalope like this.
  21. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm a coffee lover and like to take a cup on even 15 minute trips. I think I've posted the cup holder I whipped up for my 31 Ford pick up but here it is again. I like it, works good.

cup holder.jpg

Stogy, lucky ink, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Be interesting to see how this thread would go if Ryan offered HAMB can cozzies and travel mugs tomorrow!

FlyFisher and falcongeorge like this.
  23. phat rat

phat rat

The follow the leader type would fall all over themselves to put a cup/can holder in their car/truck so they could show it off.

clunker and Dooley like this.
  24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

None of my old cars have cup holders. That isn't to say that I don't want one. My medical condition demands I stay hydrated I ALWAYS have a water gator aid soda of some kind near by. Hell on long rides I've been known to drink a six pack (of water) so a cup holder would be nice. Just haven't found the right fit as yet. Except that roll of duct tape now that'll work just fine. Joe

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nailed it;)

26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

clem, Paul and xpletiv like this.
  27. Muttley

Muttley

I'm in violation of that law just by pulling my car out of the driveway.

Truck64, Tman, clunker and 3 others like this.
  28. patterg2003

patterg2003

I like the simple ideas for coffee cupholders that do not affect the look of the car. We are 1-1/2 hours to Timmies or MacDonalds to the west & 4 hours to T or McD's to the east. Not doing it without coffee but I need to pace myself with the vintage plumbing. I have been in places with 3 hours between gas stations and a coffee makes it go better. It is mostly 2 lane and lots time between vehicles so minimal risk. Not like going through Toronto or Atlanta on a multi-lane hwy at 70mph. Coffee is my one vice. IMHO It is better that someone enjoy a little coffee along the way then taking someone out by falling asleep. If a little coffee in your favorite ride makes it more enjoyable then enjoy. (with care)
    I put my cell out of reach and refuse to have anything to do with it while driving. Zero tolerance for anyone with a cell phone in hand behind the wheel. That is the poster child for distracted driving.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Targeted marketing?:eek::D