Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CupHolder Taboo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 17, 2017.

1. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

My cupholder is the the back of the seat and against the door panel... I have to clean my upholstery... A lot.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We're not in the southern part of California, but are surrounded by hot rod folks and good sense. The 'Big Valley' is still alive. There was a census taken 12 years ago, finding that there were more hopped up cars per capita here (Merced/Atwater) than anywhere else in California!
    To escape to Boston? Even Busey isn't that crazy...Banacek, maybe. :rolleyes:

rtp, 6-bangertim, ravedodger and 2 others like this.
  3. Ha! That makes sense. Whenever I read your posts I imagine you in Atwater Village and think "all that big city stiff must be driving Mike insane. No one's yard is more than 100' by 100'. Crowds and crowds of people. He seems like a more rural guy....". It's nice up there around Fresno. I miss CA, really America's treasure. The movie biz burnt me out in LA and I just needed to "go", so I scurried back from whence I came. Funny thing is I got back into the movie biz here, less hectic tho.

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Denis,you nailed it,If I am in the hot rod driving a extended period of time I will replace the coffee mug with a bottle of water.

The roll of duct tape holds it in place just fine..HRP

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    upspirate likes this.
  5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I referred to my wife once as my cup holder,everyone laughed except her.
    Like I said,ONCE.

6. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Sure wish I had thought of the duct tape deal before I came up with my rendition.
    It's all good and why H.A.M.B.'rd are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Jibs

Jibs

Mine are more like can holders, but you get the idea.

frontcup 1.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm an odd bird, 30+ years of trucking but I don't drink coffee.:eek: Those folks that scoff at the idea of a cup holder though obliviously don't have a female riding with them......
    My daily drivers have them, but about all I use them for are a place to lay my phone and a pack of smokes, wife always has to have a soft drink or water due to her diabetes so she uses her side, if I'm drinking a soft drink I just put it between my legs. She always fusses because the Lincoln doesn't have one yet, so I have a design in mind in my head of a drop down door on a center upright underdash console with cup holders in it. It will also hide a modern radio when closed. When it is closed, everything modern is out of sight, keeping the old feel to it.
    Got to get it back on the road before I start any improvements though...

Wilf13 and 38 mopar_fan like this.
  9. LostBoy

LostBoy

These are all really great ideas and executions. Just thought I'd say that. Here's a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stogy, Okie Pete, tommyd and 3 others like this.
  10. As strange as it might seem I was working in the shop years ago and had sit a beer down on the work bench and within a minute I had bumped it and turned it over.

it just so happen that there was a roll of duct tape laying on the bench and the hole in the roll was the only level place and that's where I stuck the beer can.

A friend of mine came over and commented,"I like your cup holder"next thing you know he had picked it up and laid it in the floor of the Model A.

Worked like a charm and due to the nature of duct tape the sides are stick and that prevents the tape from sliding around so it makes the ideal holder. HRP

Stogy, ravedodger and upspirate like this.
  11. upspirate

upspirate

Grey would be the traditional color for a hot rod duct tape holder, but it does come in other colors for a custom look!:cool::D

oldsjoe likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

This is my buddies Roadster. AMBR contender in 2013. He uses a roll of duct tape on the floor for his cup holder.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. jazz1

jazz1

IMG_0040.JPG Pulled mine out of a late model olds 88 because it fit between the seats and offers lots of storage underneath console space as well

14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Edcodesign,
    I love that radio console idea!!
    NRM

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shortest drive I ever had to work was 8 miles. Except when I worked on the dairy farm where I was at work when I stepped out of my yard.
    I drove the 48 47 miles each way to work and back and finished the coffee I left home with and stopped and got fresh coffee five miles from work most of that time. I made this in that time frame Just a used 2x6 with two holes cut with a hole saw and nailed together. Not hot rod worthy but It worked for about ten years. [​IMG]
    That was a great mug but it laying on the bottom at the end of the dock at the marina in Poulsbo after it fell off my boat.
    I drove for a lot of years with a can or bottle of pop or beer between my legs and even carried my ceramic coffee mug with me setting it on the floor of what ever I was driving before road mugs got popular. I flew a lot of missions as a scout observer with a canteen cup of coffee between my feet of the floor of an
    OH13 or OH 6 in 1988. No cup holders in those rigs in those days.
    I can dump a 44 ounce Pepsi in a cup on the first turn out a mini mart if I don't have something that holds it secure and have done so all too many times. Hence the need for a cup holder.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, have saws all will travel !

17. robracer1

robracer1

living in Georgia in the summer driving a roadster without a top and no sissy a/c with a black leather interior, I drink and pour of water on me I needed a cup holder so I had polished aluminum wheel center cap from a CCW wheel so I turned it upside down, drilled a hold in it and screwed it behind my floor shifter. To be H.A.M.B. correct I call it a coin holder!

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

No eating or drinking in California? It's bad enough that I have to hide my Glock 19 while driving threw Northern California but now the food and water bottles not to mention the fruit check at the border.

19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Not mine. But saw this at the Super Car Sunday cruise in Woodland Hills. [​IMG]. It was in a 59 or 60 Vette.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rex_A_Lott, pat59 and Fern 54 like this.
  20. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I'm with Danny , roll of duct tape holds your coffee never spills and has any other uses!

21. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I am going to spring Fling in LA for the MoPar show, then the Supercruise. Are you guys serious about this no drinking in the car law? I always have coffee or a water with me.

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-19_4-24-9.png upload_2017-2-19_4-24-28.png
    Hello,
    I have used the one on the right with the wall mounts and flip down smooth face cover. They hold drinks well. The one on the left is a stainless steel one with a better construction and look. But, for those who wish to have a cup holder in the car without spoiling the uniqueness of the stock or custom interior, couldn’t one of these be placed in the glove box door mounted on the smooth surface side and popped up manually when the glove box door goes down? Most modern glove box doors have indentations that do just about nothing and it seems like the old ones were simple and flat.

Folded down, it is about less than an inch thick. The black or stainless one would be less obtrusive and they could be covered with upholstery material for that smooth look when folded down on the door. 4 1/8th”square x 7/8th” thick

Jnaki

If it would fit inside of the glove box, then the clean original look is preserved.

Talk about "zero tolerance." According to the Los Angeles Times:

While there is no law saying someone can’t eat while driving, a distracted driver is in violation of the law. Under California’s vehicle code, a driver can be ticketed $145 to $1000 for having “wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.” Officers will also be tracking these distractions and the number of distracted drivers, because there is not very good data on just how many distracted drivers there are.

"There's no specific law for somebody eating a cheeseburger and driving a vehicle," another CHP officer says, "But unfortunately we have some drivers who don't have the ability to multitask." (Thanks for ruining the commute for the rest of us...)

But the question still remains: Where do we draw the line? Can we blow our nose? Drink coffee? Change the radio station? Excerpts from LA Weekly.

In So Cal, we will just have to drink our coffee and water at the stop lights. (and look over our shoulders at big brother.)

6-bangertim and LostBoy like this.
  23. Man, I feel for you guys living in the land of fruits and nuts. You can brag about the weather all you want but it is 70 degrees here today and that is pretty common.

Lots of great cupholder ideas. My GMC is going to get your standard, plastic hang from the window holder since it is a truck. Also going to put a gun rack in it, because I can

oldsjoe and gas & guns like this.
  24. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. My Coupe is not here so I cannot get a picture but my holder is very easy to visualize. On a two door Coupe where the back of front seats folds forward to access back seat there is a real neat little round hole in the seat bottom at the seam between the backs of the front seat. Perfect size for a bottle of water and works great for my 30 ounce Yeti coffee mug. Bottle or tall mug just goes in hole and sits on the two inner seat back pivot arms. Just have to be sure the coffee mug is sipped down at least one inach to prevent slosh out the sip hole. Sip hole goes forward on my seat.
    Works great and for the people that insist everything is factory original accessory and my cup holder is 100% original.
    Even entered the Coupe in an AACA judged event a couple of years ago and purposefully put a bottle of water there. When Judge came by he asked about that & I just replied I was just using the factory installed original bottle holder. He looked at if for a bit, smiled, gave me a thumbs up & proceeded on. He was not an inexperienced Judge either.
    Only problem with my holder is if I have a passenger they just got to hold their own. I have thought about gluing Velcro for a Koozie on the inside of glove box door for passenger.
    Jimmie

25. Just add that to the long list of uses for this incredible product.
    Beats everything shown so far.... imho.

olscrounger and upspirate like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, it's a bill (wife looked it up last night: Hasn't passed yet, but you know how these Calif lunatics vote for the 'good of the rest of us'!) I had been told it was LAW, starting Jan. 1st.
    The guy that told me is best friends of a Chippie (Calif Hiway Patrolman) so I took it as gospel!
    Me, 'Doubting Mike'!

27. A Boner

A Boner

The roll of duct tape seems like a good idea. If you have a period correct hot rod built like the kids did back in the day, you might need the tape to get home without a bunch of parts dragging on the pavement!

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I LOVE my coffee. I LOVE BBQ ribs too, doesn't mean I eat them while I'm driving...:eek: I never even use the cupholder when I'm driving my wifes car...

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  29. phat rat

phat rat

Well you can tell by comments who puts a lot of miles on a car in a single day. Sounds as though many think a 10-15 mile run is long. Get out and spend the day on the road without stops every hour or so. Run for 10-12 hours or more in a day and you'll be drinking something in the car/truck

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We are talking Irish coffee here?

oldsjoe and tfeverfred like this.