Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Crazy Legs My 54 Ford Build Thread - Old Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just went back though the build after seeing you fly down the strip at Salina. What an amazing ride!

2. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Lol, thanks! We had lots of fun but dang it was super hot........ I realized the other day that its been awhile since i've updated this thread on some more progress, I'll get some pics rounded up and post soon. :)

3. alchemy

alchemy

I like what I can see of the upholstery. Were you happy with the result? If so, can you give the upholsterer's name and location?

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Yeah overall happy with the results but! I would be careful due to his multiple missed deadlines, lack of business management etc, his work when he does work is fine but just a kid out of school and partying is obviously #1 for him
    It's Custom Threadz on Facebook from Oskaloosa, btw my kick panels still aren't done and he started on all this in January.....

5. daddio211

daddio211

I found the only way to deal with upholstery guys is to have them agree to a reasonable deadline and tell them you'll knock $100 off for every week they're late. Shit gets real, quick.

Always cut them slack but keep the pressure on.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Amazing work crazy legs. are you planning on keeping the windwings out? If so, you having custom side glass put in it? It really looks clean like that.

7. jetcycles

jetcycles

It took me two cups of coffee to get through this whole thread but. . .car looks damn good! The talent seen on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

8. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks guys for the kind words!!
    Voodoo, for now I put the wing windows back in and had new glass cut, I do love the look of no wing windows though :)
    I've taken a little time off on the project to spend some time with the family after Salina, but lately we've been doing a few things on it that I needed to fix and make look better etc before we go to the Iron Invasion in October, I've collecting some progress pics and I'll post up soon

9. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update:
    Wow its funny how time flies by since the last update! So I’ll try to get everyone up to speed. First we got to back up actually a couple of months! The wife/kid/Me headed out to Back to the 50’s with no major issues, we were flying up there about 80mph the whole way and it got 19mpg, the A/C did ok but having little weatherstrip in the car it struggled to keep up, I quickly realized the brakes weren’t near as good as I wanted them to be in major traffic down town St. Paul but we were cautious and made it safely and the family was having fun.

[​IMG]

The show was great Friday & Saturday, we lost a hubcap on the front on 35W so we thought we knew where we lost it so we went back to look for it but never found it and all of the sudden my 3 year old yells out, “Dad it looks like that one right!!??” We look over and the other damn cap fell off as we watched it change 4 lanes of traffic not hitting anything, jumps the curb and crashes into the concrete sound barrier as I realize its junk we drove on…… anyway a few issues but overall very pleased with the first major trip.

[​IMG]

Once home I got new hubcaps and made locks for them, ordered drilled/slotted rotors and better pads for the front, ordered a few small pieces of new weatherstrip and installed the rest of the old as well. Also rewired the A/C so fans kick on 100% of the time when it calls for A/C and long story short everything helped a ton!

With my dads helped we got the front fender extensions made that go down to the gravel pan and headed for Salina for the KKOA Leadsled spectacular – It was so flipping hot 106 degrees!!! But the car was flawless, we even changed the rear tires in the hotel parking lot (1.5hr job) and went out and ran through a whole bottle of nitrous out at the Salina street drags, it was quite the hit out there taking on everything dragcars and all and lets say we surprised a lot of people with my sleeper!!! :) Here’s a pic of it sunning in Salina –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We obviously had watched way to much “Street Outlaws” TV show because at night we dropped the girls off at the hotel and my dad and I threw in a fresh N2O bottle and went out fishing for some poor sucker that wanted to street race and to our surprise we found the local guys that go out to an industrial area and race on a one-way street just outside of Salina and it was pretty cool they let us watch and even ran a new Camaro and he found out the hard way mine ran better than his lol – Anyway it was insane night to say the least!!

The next day we swapped the tires back over before it got super hot out and noticed the trans was shifting kinda weird and now had something weird rubbing that was shift linkage related….. we popped the hood and noticed the engine and trans was leaning towards the passenger pretty bad and we figured out between the 106 air temp, 150 ground temp and super hot under hood temps the urethane motor mounts gave up so after the show we headed for home and the car worked great even with engine trying to lay on its side.

Once home I started tearing it apart and here’s the culprit along with ripping one of the motor mounts off the frame rail!!!
    [​IMG]

So my dad made a set of aluminum mounts to replace the urethane

[​IMG]

Since Salina we fixed the motor mounts and beefed them up so they won’t be a problem anymore, also trying to finish the front fender extensions more, I’ve been working on trying to get a few minor changes done including making this cap to make the column look like it belongs in the car

[​IMG]

I’ve also got all the inside garnish moldings stripped and ready for primer/paint and I’m getting ready to start on a “H” exhaust pipe, I think it’ll help find a few more HP as I want to get it to run 7.50 in the 1/8th before the end of the racing year just so I can say it did it

Anyway, there has been a ton of normal “life” stuff happing other than working on the car but currently we are trying to finish up a few other things before we head to the Iron Invasion in Woodstock Illinois October 3rd & 4th – Stay tuned!!

10. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Love this car ! What are your 1/4 mile e.t's? I can't see the videos for some reason , is there any youtube links of it moving along ?

11. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Also is that farm truck parked in front of your ride in one of the pics ? Lol

12. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Awesome ride man

13. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

61dailyf100, I've actually never ran it 1/4 mile yet just because the nearest one is 100 miles away & haven't had the chance to go with it but I'd like to! Also a little worried what it'd handle like at those 1/4 mile speeds lol - I'd probably roll it! - I checked on the videos and they seem to work for me, they aren't on you tube but are linked to my Photobucket account - Yes Farmtruck and Azn were running at the Salina street drags, (keep watching Street Outlaws TV show and you'll see them running a few cars there)
    Thanks for the kind words guys ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  14. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

I'm sure it would make some fast passes. So it seems the show is the real deal then lol keep up the good work .

15. No Plan

No Plan

Congrats for getting the 4000lbs. piece to run a 7.5 seconds in the 1/8 mile today! I know that was a lofty goal, but you did it! Very COOL in my book, a true lead sled that hauls ass!

16. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

:) Couldn't of done it without you!!!

17. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update:
    We survived the Iron Invasion! It was snowing Saturday morning and turned to rain with tons of wind but we still had lots of fun with no issues for the most part. To our surprise they gave away a few Club pick awards and the “Retarded Sparks” of Chicago pick my car & that was super cool and totally unexpected. Here’s a pic or 2 of the club, my dad & I and a few of the way the car currently looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This coming weekend is our last planned event before putting the car away for the winter for serious work to be done on it for next year. It’s called the “River to River” cruise, basially it’s a trip across Highway 6 that goes from one side of Iowa to the other stopping at a lot of the old small towns and taking the wife and kid for the trip so to be continued on how it goes.
    Stay tuned cuz after this weekend the car is going into surgery and body work for the winter ;)

18. wouterftw

wouterftw

Sounds good, it's a cool build so far!

19. Mohog4

Mohog4

Hey I met you at hopperstads and the invasion this is Dave with the black chevy truck behind your car in the pictures. I looked up your build thread and got a whole new appreciation for your car. I liked it when I saw it but wow after following the build it's way cool. Nice work!!

20. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Way cool "Mohog4" it was nice meeting you! Thanks for the kind words :)

I haven't been on here in a long time, so here's a big update

The weekend after the Iron Invasion was our last planned event before putting the car away for the winter for serious work to be done on it for next year. It’s called the “River to River” cruise, basially it’s a trip across Highway 6 that goes from one side of Iowa to the other stopping at a lot of the old small towns and taking the wife and kid for the trip, we had a blast with no issues ;)
    So it begins…….WINTER

Bye bye old white paint, after tons of paint stripper, scrapping, & the DA sander with 80 grit heres the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was always a weird place in the drivers side sail panel and it was way nastier than expected……

[​IMG]

We ended up cutting a lot more out than the first pic but after replacing the inside, outside and places along the drip rail heres how it turned out

[​IMG]

And after I leaded it all back in

[​IMG]

All masked off and ready to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some Epoxy primer

[​IMG]

Since these pics I've layed down several coats of 2k Urethane, blocked it and repeat and repeat – ready for some crazy paint!!
    Will post more soon!

voodookustoms likes this.
  21. Blase

Blase

Cool car. I love the LS power!! Not sure about it in a Ford but its hard to beat an LS if you plan to drive your car a lot. Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to what you have planned for the paint.

22. How did the paint turn out? Doing some body work on my car right now and I'm getting more inspiration from yours.

23. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Great build! I am a fan of updated running gear so you have the best of both worlds, classy styling and a reliable driver. We used to take a lot of the pleasure out of a cruise when the old car got hot or vapor locked. A wife and 2 kids sitting in a hot car while you take care of problems sucks!

24. You got serious talents and that Victoria is outstanding.
    I like the idea of LS power, a little out of the box thinking there. The Lincoln 1/4's with the blended in continental wheel is a smooth look.
    Excellent job.

25. hondakilla98

hondakilla98
    from aloha, or

What a great build log. I'm thinking about doing a similar swap in my 56 club sedan. Unfortunately I don't have your fabrication skills, so I'll have to pay someone else to do at least some of it.

26. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Any updates? You do some great work!

27. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks for the kind words guys, I hope some of the work/pics keeps the fires lit for you!
    Wow I just looked at my last post of Jan. 7...... how time flies! Unfortunately I don't have a lot of updates, I mean the top is fixed, primed/blocked a 5 times and was ready for paint but long story short "life happened" and my dad was working on his wifes 55 Safari and I didn't want to change those plans so the car never got any color on the top but did make more progress on the trunk lid and turned out really good. I have a few pics of that and will get them uploaded.
    Some will understand this and some won't but since the car has a "buff/yellow" roof, front fenders, and trunk lid along with black everywhere I decided to park it this year until I can get it "more finished" cuz I am planning on finishing this car but even though the car is getting closer it actually looks really bad so it sits for now until I can get my other big project done. Not a HAMB friendly car but its a C5 Vette that I drag race in a street legal heads up class and its sat for 3 years waiting on a new engine setup and trying to get it done enough to get it tuned and hit the track before the season ends this year. Its a 408, YSI blower, E85, etc and hope to run 5.70's 1/8 or 9.00 or better in the 1/4
    Anyway, I've drove the 54 around town a little bit this summer and street raced a few people but other than that its sitting waiting on me.
    Don't lose hope in it or me cuz its going to get done with lots more pics and updates to come :)

voodookustoms and daddio211 like this.
  28. Glad to see some sort of update. Haha I frequent this thread often for my own build.

29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've wondered, seen a lot about the vette on facebook, but nothing on the ford.

30. lownslow54

lownslow54

@Crazy Legs love the thread, but I was wondering are you running s-10 spindles or dropped Granada ? Thank you for the help.