Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Crazy Legs My 54 Ford Build Thread - Old Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jun 21, 2012.

1. layedout49

layedout49

That tail light treatment 😍😍

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. No Plan

No Plan

...I dare you to tell'em what that plugged "T" in the gas line shot is for.....you'd probably get banded, maybe even lynched!!LOL!......& I agree w/ cavistyle, the LSX comment!

3. Great build, nice fab work.

4. Nice build, I'm thinking of 2 linking my 53 Chevy as well.

5. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks guys,

No Plan, I'm not saying a word........

6. That looks awesome man. Put up some engine pics/videos! Everyone already knows what you're doing under that hood and you haven't been booted yet!

7. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks Paddycake, I owe alot of thanks to you as you were the first to do this drivetrain swap! I really want to put some pics or video of it but I was worried about getting booted off since Ryan's had the big crack down on the rules/traditional part. But I figure this car is 100% following the rules other than the engine/trans. Its the only thing on the car thats newer than 1954 :)

8. daddio211

daddio211

9. Man! So stoked to see you still hammering away at this. Bummed that we can't park near each other at a pile-up, but I'm sure I'll see you around sometime. I'll just drop my car off for you guys to bag it and pick it up sometime! ahha

10. Thanks man, glad my efforts have helped. Although, I've torn the car down again and now I'm behind you! Hoping to get my floors bedlinered soon.

Maybe you could put some pics/videos up on the '52-59 Ford social group forum instead? You're on there, right?

11. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I got to spend some time working on the car over my break and here are a few progress pics, I’ve got a lot done after these pics were taken so I’ll post up more soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I needed to verify the rear wheels would fit and they do with tons of room to spare

[​IMG]

Here shows the first 9” wide trailer fender I modified to fit,

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the LR inside where the wheel would be

I’m currently working on the other sheet metal that goes behind the wheel tubs, over the C-notch etc. Stay tuned..........

12. I know the feeling of finally hear the car run,,the amount of wok and modifications have really paid off,,the car is looking great. HRP

13. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

14. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Updated pics as of last night, this is showing the LR area of the trunk, and the body mount I had to make as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is getting the LR wheel tub extended over to the outer quarter panel & fit, then obviously do the samething to the other side of the car. Yippee……

15. daddio211

daddio211

16. No Plan

No Plan

Last night I stopped by to check out his new cam & springs & see the progress on the trunk sheet metal work.....looks great!, the cam specs are crazy, & then there's this funny little plate(?), a looser lock up convertor is going to be next;.... to me, this is an early custom and hot rodding in the truest sense....I got a feeling it's going to be one of the quicker "hot' customs around,(like what the REAL hoodlums had back in the day) w/ nothing newer than '54 on the outside to see........anybody got any '53 Cad wheel covers for sale?........keep at it, it's coming along GREAT!

17. layedout49

layedout49

Love that front end treatment

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

I realized I needed to continue forward with the sheetmetal before I extend the wheel tubs over so here is a quick pic of some progress & the driveshaft tunnel I’ve come up with, I don’t like it being square like this but since the driveshaft is offset in the car I have to go straight up with the tunnel to clear it.

The cool part is looks like I'll be able to weld back in a 20" section of the stock tunnel up front so it'll very hard to notice that any of this is even done with the stock seats in.

Either way here it is.

[​IMG]

19. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update: I’ve been working a ton of late nights on the Ford, it still amazes me how long it takes on this car to get something done…… it fights me every step of the way, I keep telling it that I can arrange for it to be hauled to the crusher or live its new life driving around all fixed up with me lol….. It obviously wants the crusher but I’m stubborn and won’t give up lol. Anyway,

I had to raise up the tunnel another inch to clear the shaft, here’s all of it welded in, next is finishing the wheel tubs, then it all can be welded in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s a shot of the removable trans cover I’m working on, I made most of it before I found out that the Lokar shifter arm had to clocked to a 4:30 position so I had to add a bump to the side of the cover, here’s a few pics of the progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally got my driveshaft painted up; it turned out good, too bad you’ll never see it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the best news is I received my rechromed front bumper back yesterday, I had them fill the 2 front license plate slots as well.

[​IMG]

I’ve also been working double duty on major stuff as well as lining up to get the interior redone by our local upholstery guy, so I’ve made new front seat mounts, and cut up rear seat frame to fit over/around the new tunnel. The scariest part was the rear seat catching fire inside the car and I couldn’t get it out…… SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME, but luckily I had a fire extinguisher on stand by and it worked great!

That’s it for now.

Greasy C likes this.
  20. No Plan

No Plan

I stopped by Eric's garage this morning & he's making head way on his 54 build. He just finished the trans tunnel cover. Now he's working on the rear inner wheel wells & looks like there is just enough room behind them in each quarter panel to mount a N2O bottle, Perfect!....the air ride plumbing will be over the notch & between the wheelwells....each thing that gets finished just fires him up that much more!...keep going, those late nights working on it will payoff eventually. I sure hope it's driving it to Salina so he can run the street drags,...now how is he going to get the drag tires down there & put on?

21. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks for help when you can! I'd never be this far without you!

Getting those wheels is hardly the battle, it'll be trying to change wheels over twice in the 106 degree temps is the bitch..... Not to mention gettin the car high enough to drop the rear end down, remove the shocks, pan hard bar, disconnect the airbags, and exhaust..... Ugh!

22. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

I haven't checked in for a while, but I'm glad I just did. I like everything about this car!! Its looking great.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  23. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

24. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update after this weekends progress,
    We finally got the inner tub extensions to the inside of the body done so I figured I’d post some pics, I test fit the gas tank one last time before the paint began to fly and luckily it still fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the top part above the C notch, when lay’d out the diff of the rear end comes above the C-notch about 1/2” so I made the sheet metal go 1-1/4” above the notch to clear the diff, here’s a shot of the collars I made to space up the metal so I can still access the top of the airbag hardware

[​IMG]

I had lesson in metal working when trying to fill back in the floor we cut out to put in the rear frame. I just wanted to show how I got it to fit the compound curves and angles, (This isn’t finished in this pic, just tacked in)

[​IMG]

Here is the other side that was done to show how it turned out

[​IMG]

And last I took it all apart once again, and sprayed some primer and satin black on the frame (it looks glossy cuz its still wet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is to put it all back in to weld it all together so its permanently part of the body, I’ll touch up everthing that gets burned off when welding it all in. I figured it would be better to get 100% primer/paint coverage being out of the car than to fight all the tubing and frame etc and miss a bunch of it.

I’m getting sick of posting about the same ol’ stuff but I want to document all the work that we’ve been putting in on this car since no one will ever see it since it’ll all be covered up.

25. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Hey Eric, Hang in there and keep posting about "the same ol' stuff". We're not getting tired of seeing it. That driveshaft makes me chuckle. You do great work, are willing to learn from others, you're not afraid to make mistakes because you've got the skills to fix them and that's what makes you a success. You've got the drive of a "doer", that makes "talkers" like me a bit jealous.

(I had the chance to meet CrazyLegs and No Plan and family in Salina a few years ago. Top notch people.) Now, what I really want, is to pull up next to you at the DQ or at Cozy Inn. Hoping 2014 is the year for you.

26. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Lol thanks 54, we will definitely be driving that son of a bitch this year to Salina come hell or high water I promise, can't wait!

27. Man everything is coming together and looking great!

The drive shaft reminds me of a Model A sedan I saw back in the 70's in Pigeon Forge that had a Jag rear axle and the half shafts were painted very similar..except they were painted opposite from each out so the went in two directions,,both running out.

I followed the guy about 4 miles on a two lane road over the mountain and I thought my eye balls would end up in my ears:eek:,Damn,I had to pull over and let someone else follow him.:rolleyes: HRP

28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hey Crazy Legs... Awesome car and work! I wanna steal your trailer fender wheel tub idea for my 53 Ford wagon...You say the fenders are 9"wide, but what is their diameter?
    They look terrific.