Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Crazy Legs My 54 Ford Build Thread - Old Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Not sure on the exhaust, I hope so!

Line lock only reason cuz I figured it'd be easier to add now than later and besides you never know why may need to burn a tire..... I suppose to use at the "DIY STUNT SHOW" at the Iron Invasion!

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man this car is turning out cool... and it should be a blast to drive!
    Great progress. I'm looking forward to seeing you driving it.

Malcolm

3. Man I love this car! That engine looks like it belongs in there.

Beautiful work too.

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm getting excited, I've done a ton of work to a 69 Camaro once and sold it before I ever got to drive it but this one is 5 times as big of project but I'm determined to get it on the road.

5. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Lookin good man!

6. Car is looking great. HRP

7. Turdle

Turdle
    from Winnipeg

Man, I wish I had your skill and ability; marvellous fabrication work! Looking forward to your next instalment.

8. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update: Thanks guys for the kind words :)

I’ve been working hard on the car lately, I’ve even got my dad over to help with converting the front end back over to a Ford. I snapped these last night while the hacking was going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see we’ve got a lot of work ahead of us with getting this back to being a Ford but you get the idea. We are trying to mock it all up together to determine what looks the best. So far we’ve lowered the front bumper and gravel pan down a little bit to make it flow a bit better.

I’ve also got a set of 56 Olds headlight rings & buckets we will be using on this car too and that looks to be a huge project in its own……

On another note I’ve ordered my Diamond back tires, I’ve 2 other 15x6” wheels with a tad bit different offset to the inside so it’ll hopefully move the front wheels in closer to the frame to help eliminate rubbing the inside of the fenders on the new white walls. I’ve also got the A/C about wrapped up, the PCM is mounted as well. I can’t wait to get this front end stuff done so I can rip it apart and get some primer & paint on the frame so I can get this thing fired up!

Stay tuned……..

9. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update:
    I went on a family vacation this Labor day weekend but I got to spend a couple of days out in the shop.

Here is the sheet metal dash insert for the new electronic gauges I’ve got, it started out as a flat plate and was going to install it where the old gauge cluster was and it would tipped forward towards the driver but it looked strange so my dad convinced me to make a shroud around it and recess it back into the dash and match the faces of the other gauges…. Needless to say he was right. I think it turned out good. It even bolts in with the stock studs and nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last pic is with the sharp corners gone and primed.

[​IMG]

I’ve got all the A/C hose crimped thanks to a buddy and now I’m working on mounting the gas tank & coming up with a way to fill it.

Stay Tuned!!

10. 54vicky

54vicky

I read the whole thread and seen the post about the 53 dash.I think your 54 may be a 53 as the trim is not 54.I know I did not do an intro just could not help pointing out the trim check vin 54vicky

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That's one super bitchin' project !!!!!!!

4TTRUK

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

really like'in what your doing with this car,some great work .keep posting

13. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

yeah i agree there are alot of 53 stuff on the car (dash, some trim etc) but the front fenders & headlight rings are definently 54 cuz they have the peak on the sides (does that make sense?) The VIN and there are several factory stamps in yellow on the inside of rear body panels that say 54 as well.

Either way its a "Frankenstein" for sure!

Thanks guys :)

14. 54vicky

54vicky

you are probably right if vin matches.just odd that it would have 53 trim as 54 went the whole length of sides it would mean filling all the holes seems a lot of work to me but who knows what PO wanted.anyway looking good.your right on the fender peaks 54 only.54vicky

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  15. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update:
    Well I once again missed another date to have the car “driveable” to the Iron Invasion but I can’t say we didn’t try, we’ve been hard at it to say the least!! Every night I’ve been working on it and getting a ton of little stuff done (Too much to list but here’s a few highlights)

We’ve been working on the new 65 Mustang gas tank situation and I was planning on using the stock 3/8 pick up in the front of the tank and plumbing the return line into the drain and realized that if the tank was low and I floored it, the gas would go away from the pickup and I’d be dead in the water fast not to mention the drain/return would be located on the bottom and if that ever got sheared off bad things would soon follow. So my next obstacle was to figure out a baffle or sump system so I came up with this cool idea of making a can/trap system around the pickup and plumbing the return into it with the only way to get fuel in is through a slot on the bottom. Only problem was it was still located in the middle and I still wasn’t sure if it would stay full on WOT. So here’s the next idea…... Basically it has 2 slots in the bottom of the tank going into the sump and both the supply & return will go into this box. I’m also going to move the filler neck to the drivers rear corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had issues getting this weird Chinese coated metal to TIG but my dad got it figured out and it looks great!

My dad got my original shock mounts modified enough that they do work and the car can be aligned as well. I’ve smoothed up all the welds, seam sealed everything & cleaned it up. Here’s some of the progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used Nason Urethane 2 part epoxy primer “Buff or yellow color” just because it’s easier to see it under the car

[​IMG]

Here I used Van Sickle tractor paint w/ added hardener Satin black, it came out nice.

[​IMG]

Here are the wheels painted & mounted up; this was Nason single stage custom mixed red we came up with. I think it looks orange in the pic cuz of the fluorescent lights. – The tires are Diamond back

Anyway, I'm working away on it so stay tuned for more updates asap.

16. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update:
    I’ve been working on the car every night I can & getting some stuff done even though it doesn’t seem like it, I make a small “goal list” of stuff I should easily get done in a nights worth of work and it seems like #1 thing takes all night and doesn’t get done..... but I have crazy ambition and won’t give up on this damn thing……

Anyway, here is a quick pic of the color we went with for all the bolt on suspension pieces. Its called “Graphite” but basically it’s a gun metal grey or charcoal grey metallic

[​IMG]

Here is the last pic of the masked off engine bay before it gets crazy with a paint idea my dad has come up with (Stay tuned for the results) (Sorry for blurry, my camera decided to crap on this pic)

[​IMG]

Other than that I'm sending off my front bumper to get rechromed soon & the engine/trans is ready to go in for the final time once the engine bay is painted.

Thats all for now

17. xwing01

xwing01

you my friend, are one bad ass fabricator

18. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit a ton of the major stuff is my dad for sure & I continue to learn from him everyday

Another Update:

I sent off my front bumper to get rechromed to “Custom Metal Finishing” in Indiana per you guys on the HAMB, I hope turns out good! And my dad got the Engine bay painted & it’s far out to say the least! – He used all House of Kolors & the pictures don't do the colors justice – You’ve seen tons of checkered firewalls, solid colors, flamed, scalloped firewalls………..We wanted to be different so how bout this craziness????? (I'm aware some will hate it but some will love it)

[​IMG]138

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since these pics I’m working on sanding/buffing the clear coat & I’ve got the front suspension put back together for the last time!!!

[​IMG]

Thats the latest for now.

19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Nice work and lots of it... I'm not a fan of "on the ground" low, but I can sure appreciate all the nice fabrication you and your dad have done. Excellent!

20. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Wow awesome fan work, and I wasn't expecting that engine bay treatment. Keep up the awesome work!

21. 4444Design

4444Design

wow!

awesome work

the engine bay is really outstanding - cool idea

22. Amazing work,,the jury is out on the Cheetah paint but I gotta admit it is different.;) HRP

Youngster51 likes this.
  23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

some real fine women wear That shit ,you got your package loaded , fold itup.nice project

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Cheetahs don't play fair............. I kinda like the look..!

25. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

lol, thanks guys :)

26. This is some serious motivation for my 54. Loving it so far!

27. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Update: I’ve been working super hard on the 54 trying to get it fired up and……………..ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!! After a few minor issues it runs like a champ, no codes or leaks so things are GOOD!!! I don’t want to put any pics of the installed engine because I don’t want my build to be closed cuz of the “new EFI driveline” so I’ll just say it turned out really good.

I scraped and burned off as much of the floor I could for now & its all painted and recoated with the bed liner, all of the drivetrain is back in for the final time, I got the firewall & toe boards covered in the Eastwood thermo-coustic. I had a long time hot rod wiring buddy help me out tying the LS stand alone wiring to the new 20 circuit wiring & still using the stock 54 6 volt switches. Running fuel lines, gas tank mount, remounting the pump/filterHere are some update pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for how dark it is but its that dark under the car now that its all black and undercoated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously the rear isn't painted cuz its not finished, I just wanted to get the tank in so I could fire it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that its running I’m buttoning up a ton of little things that need to be done before I can reassemble the front end. Then I’ve got 16 days off of work for Christmas break so I plan to get the trans/drive shaft tunnel done & hopefully all the sheetmetal work on the inside as well. TBD! - STAY TUNED!

28. No Plan

No Plan

Congratulations on getting that bad boy running!!!..that's a huge step in overall picture of the build!....I think it's coming along great, it's going to be super bad ass!....thanks for your help last weekend on getting the El Camino to your storage garage & the other cars moved around....keep up the great work, you'll be driving it soon!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  29. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Ls2 FTW, great engine. I have one in my DD trailblazer SS.

Car looks great, should be a blast to drive!

30. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Yeah I'm pretty anxious to be driving it as this is the biggest/longest project I've ever attempted, and definently couldn't of done it without No Plan's help & skillz

Thanks cavistyle!