Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corvette Summer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. yogel

yogel

I grew up and lived 1/2 a mile from the station these guys ran out of.Jim built em fast and Marty drove em fast.Great guys both.B.T.W Vetts after 62 aren`t real Vetts to me!!just my view.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
  2. flamingokid

flamingokid

Exactly put.Very few cars qualify as museum pieces and they sure as hell aren't investments.The way to get your investment to pay is to drive it,enjoy it,maintain it,and if you're real damn lucky you'll get a good chunk of your original investment back.I've been to car shows in the midwest,south,southwest and it's always the same,some goof with his undriven something that has never turned a wrench in his life trying to tell you about your car.I run 'em off and I don't care if they get all butthurt about it,too damn bad.

3. Ahhh, Ol' green. This was the first car I ever rode in that I felt legitimate fear for my life.

PS. This thread rules.

4. aceuh

aceuh

I'd buy the beer just to be able to sit with you while you tell em they don't know what the fuck a real survivor looks like! Big props go out to you guys for preserving, driving and ENJOYING such a great car!

5. Corvette Summer/Corvette Carlisle about 10 years ago I saw two NCRS gurus argue over a spare original tire, something about a very small dot meant pre-March of 66, as I listened in they bought this used spare for 450:eek::D. and asked if the guy had any more! Then one guy walked by with Corvette Tennis Shoes, C' Mon Man! I have to agree the cars are cool especially early drag cars but a lot of those guys are lost in the matching numbers mindboggle.

6. trksmth

trksmth

This is my buddy vette in '74 at Interstate dragway in Mn.
    I'd give my left nut for that thing now!

Attached Files:

7. 1978 ish.....
    Me with my dad's 1966 427 4spd, about all that was custom was the paint and the side pipes (which came later).

[​IMG]
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. After this journal entry, I keep finding great custom Corvettes in my old magazines. Well tonight I decided to scan and post one of them.

September 1963 Car Carft, Von Hunter's 1960 Corvette

[​IMG]

body shop owner von hunter seldom has a time
    when he and his crew aren't busy with customer
    cars, but when it did happen they always could turn to...

Something on the Side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Just out of curiosity, Anyone know why this vette was right hand drive??

10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I think the photo is flipped.

B:)B

11. Deuces

Deuces

12. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

The movie car is right hand drive. This photo was not flipped.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Don't know why I even spent my hard earned cash to go see the movie when it first came out... Oh yeah! I had a date. :)

14. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Two vettes were built for the movie
    The first was used to make moulds for the second car, and spare panels in case either were damaged during filming.
    The first car was used more for the driving scenes and was repainted as the Gold version.
    The second car was better finished and used more for close up work
    The first car ended up in Australia in the 80's and was used for a short time by a promotonal company.
    It ended up being owner by a used car company that initially had it on display to draw people in. The owner then tried to get the car running properly and road registered. After several shops took the owners money and did little more than further butcher it.
    I took the job on.
    What followed was a ground up rebuild, where completely new body sections had to be made. and the car was built to comply with local engineering and goverment registration requiremants.
    Here are a few pictures from the rebuilt and the finished Corvette
    Some small aspects of the car were slightly changed, because of the owners requests.
    The car still exists but is now owned by a Corvette enthusiast that does not display it.
    The second car from the movie is in its original Movie condition and is on display some where in America

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

A few years ago I saw a 64 advertised on CL with a very nondescript ad. I wasn't looking for a Vette but the low price sparked my interest so I decided to go take a look. Actually, due to my obsessive CL cruising I was the first to respond to the ad.

When I got there, the car was in the back of a garage, interior in pieces. At first I was suspicious about the originality of the car b/c it looked so decent. One bad thing about Vettes is that they where sports cars and used that way, so besides frame rot (New England) many times the body panels have been replaced/repaired b/c of crashes.

The more I looked at the car and compared it to a buyer's guide I had printed out from the internet before leaving (I'm not a Vette expert by any means) the more I realized the car was a very decent #'s matching survivor (very clean frame/no body hits). I still was not convinced that I wanted the car, but the seller said he had already had a bunch of calls. He also told me he was only going to deal with one buyer at a time and that I should take my time to think about it and call him in the next few days and let him know if i wanted it. That was unbelievable given how easy it would have been for him to sell ti to the next guy. Anyway by the time I got home I came to my senses and called the guy with an offer a bit less than he was asking. He took it, so that's how I came to own a Vette.

Prior to buying I had only driven a Vette on time before, a 65, and it was a blast. In my mind given the weight to HP ratio it's not unlike riding around in my 34 Hudson coupe. The Vette handles a bit better though! I drive the coupe a lot more than the Vette and tend to forget how great they are. Every time I do take it out I fall in love with it again, to me the looks and mechanical simplicity of the mid-year Vettes can't be beat. Given the originality of my car I can't bring myself to do any mods to it, not even change out the hub caps! I just want to keep it as is and will save the mods for my other rides.

Attached Files:

16. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Hey guys!

Don't paint all Corvette owners with the same brush. There's plenty out there that drive and enjoy their Corvettes, me included. While it might not be a "classic Corvette" I bought my '85 very much like many of you purchased an old A or a T tub and built a car from there. There was no engine, transmission or interior in it when I bought it. Since we were putting most of the stuff back in it, we figured that we'd build it the way WE wanted it. That meant using an LT1 with a supercharger and a bunch of other custom stuff along the way.

I've met PLENTY of great Corvette folks who drive their Corvettes regularly. I just got back recently from driving an 860-horse '67 from Dallas to Maggie Valley NC. Had a blast! This car cuts 9 second quarter mile times, and drives home! We didn't listen to a radio the entire trip! :D

I've also met some enthusiasts who also have some rods as well.

Attached Files:

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Im doing a mild custom on a 77 Vette for my daughter.

Attached Files:

18. Ramblur

Ramblur

And you let the blonde drive??? Man,you do have issues...:p

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

the last vette with the tunnel ram is the same one that is on the cover of rod and custom that is yellow.
    I know the guy who owns it.
    i believe it was also in more american graffiti but i am not sure about the last part

20. Sigspeed

Sigspeed

mine's alot of fun to drive around town
    injected 511 4 speed 456 gears

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      526.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      498.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      426.3 KB
      Views:
  21. noboD

noboD

My cousin gave me a ride in his '61 in about '63. I still remember it like it happened yesterday.

22. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

There's a gas cap thief at the 2010 Corvette Carlisle .. it appears all the straight axles under the tent are missing their gas caps, as well cars in the field (WTF) is that all about :confused: Other than that the weather has been super nice in PA for the show

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Early Vettes rule, however, my wife's boss wanted to get a new Vette. His son told him, "No Dad, corvettes are for old dudes!". That really cracked me up. There's a car show around here put on by the Vette Set. The lot is divided into Vette on one side and classic cars on the other side. On the classic side, guys are cleaning their cars. On the vette side, wives/girlfriends are cleaning the cars.

I had a '68 bbc, 4 speed vette. Never wanted another after that.

24. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

OK so I just figured out why the gas caps are being stolen, DUH, $$ of course! A 1957 original Gas cap is $1,000 on ebay :mad: Our 58 gas cap around $350 :( Nice way to earn a living steal original gas caps even in a security watched tent. Bastards, I hate a thief!

25. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I've always liked them. I've had a few myself. Here's some of them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one of my current rides.:D

[​IMG]

All were fun to have, for different reasons. :cool: Whatever you drive, enjoy the ride....

26. Jeff J

Jeff J

My 58 vette that I redid from a fire in 72 and painted it black with a mural on the hood scoop and metal flake in the insert side panel had all different colors of flake in it

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My favorite year for the vette is 53 ...................

28. "Tall Paul: Anyone know why this car was right hand drive??"
    Nope. the actual movie car was right hand drive.

What a spin out to find out it ended up in Australia being restored as a RHD car! :D

So, anyone know why it was right hand drive originally???

29. Mojo

Mojo

The late 70's ones are pretty cheap, and I always loved the can-am cars from the 70's...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ya I know this post is old but I had just started reading this thread and came across this. It's my all time favorite custom, period. I don't even like vettes. It might have something to do with the fact that this was the first model car that I "successfully" completed, I was particularly proud that I didn't get glue all over the bubble.:) I also still have the baseball card of this car. It's just wicked.